Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
can I simply check in for the Boston flight and then leave and still get the mileage.
In a word, no.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
I'd say you have a better chance at calling AAdvantage Customer Service and telling them you were only 73 EQPs away and you had a ticket booked for the last week of December that was fully paid for but you couldn't make the flight.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Anybody have any ideas?
You'd probably be OK at 73 EQP short, but that's not a 100 percent guarantee.

From the FAQ:

I will just miss requalifying, will AA make any exceptions or can I buy back status?

And the current requalification discussion:

Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You could just take the outbound leg and skip the return - but given that you probably want to get home, you're already at BOS, and you have a return ticket, flying both of them sounds like the best plan.

Seriously, though, try mmjaysee's suggestion two posts north of this one. I was in a similar situation a while back (about to end the year with 99,800+) and got an e-mail from AA promising me EP if that was where I finished. As it happened, I had another late-December flight to reach about 101K, so I didn't have to take them up on the offer, but I sure would have otherwise! I may have just been lucky to find a generous AA rep, but contacting them has no downside.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:21 am

How many EQMs do you have?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Thanks for pointing out the exception policy, I am aware that AA will probably let me in for being so close but just don't want to risk it over a lost morning spent flying to Beantown and back.

As far as my status, I have (from AA.com):

82,002 points (17,998 until Executive Platinum)
54,665 miles (45,335 until Executive Platinum)
14 segments (86 until Executive Platinum)

I am headed out PHL-MIA-JFK tonight, which will give me 1,052 EQP (Q class) and then have a LGA-DFW-GRU-JFK trip the last week of December which will give me 16,869 EQPs (F & D class), bringing me to the frustrating 99,923 EQPs and the need for this crazy MR.

I thought about routing from GRU through DFW or MIA but it's too close to New Year and I'll want to get home quickly.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
I only need the outbound leg's EQP's to make it over -- by my calculation, even though I am discount economy at 50% EQPs, I will get at least 93 EQPs based on actual miles and probably the minimum EQPs of 250.
Not that it matters for you, but you should actually earn 500 EQPs. For some reason, at least in my experience, the .5 multiplier occurs before the 500 minimum rather than after. Ironically, the 1.5 occurs after so in Y/F/P/whatever class you get 750.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It's about 99.901% safe they will grant your status with 99.923% of the Points y0u need for EXP.

This will now be merged into the existing, active thread covering this topic, where it has been said AA is extending their exception policy to the current year.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
I am headed out PHL-MIA-JFK tonight, which will give me 1,052 EQP (Q class) and then have a LGA-DFW-GRU-JFK trip the last week of December which will give me 16,869 EQPs (F & D class), bringing me to the frustrating 99,923 EQPs and the need for this crazy MR.

I thought about routing from GRU through DFW or MIA but it's too close to New Year and I'll want to get home quickly.
Have you checked/considered routing LGA-ORD-DFW-GRU?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I'm just a hair short on my EXP (only 73 EQPs below 100,000 when you factor in a trip I am taking the last week of December) and am set up to do a MR ticket from LGA to BOS this coming Wednesday...So I was thinking, rather than spend 4 hours flying to/from Boston, can I simply check in for the Boston flight and then leave and still get the mileage?
...have a LGA-DFW-GRU-JFK trip the last week of December...
You can only earn EQM/P by actually flying. However, in your shoes I'd look into inserting another connecting airport between LGA and DFW or between GRU and NYC. It doesn't matter which one. If price difference is reasonable, you may prefer this to a separate MR.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
I once boarded a flight and then got a call that I had to come back to the office!

When I checked my account later I saw I got the credit for the flight.

Just saying YMMV!

Originally Posted by gary_nj
I think you better plan on spending some hours in the air.

If you think about it, it would not be a career-enhancing move for a gate agent to "board" someone and then let that person walk away. With security things the way they are today, having unaccounted-for pax is likely frowned on.

Bring some nice music or a good book and enjoy the ride.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:21 am

Would you Risk ... Missing 1 Segment

Long Story short.

at 59 segments.
my 60th segment was flight from LAX to SEA where I missed my connection due to weather in SFO. It is Alaskan which is partner airline.

I've faxed and emailed my missing credit info; and am awaiting them to credit to the account.

I'm terrified of missing status by 1 segment.

Should I grab another quick flight, wait on them and cross my fingers, or does anyone have a contact point there beyond the website there that I could check with.

Hearts Racing ! AHHHHHHH
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Call AA and explain the situation and see if they will guarantee you PLT status with 59 segments (I know they 'round up' if you are very close in EQM, not sure if they will do the same for segments). If they won't round up, see if they will credit the missing segment on the basis of the weather. If the answer is 'no' on both questions, hang up and call again. If that doesn't work and they refuse to guarantee you PLT for next year on either of these terms, then no, I wouldn't risk it.

My guess is that they will accommodate you, however.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:05 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mtnbkr88

Should I grab another quick flight, wait on them and cross my fingers, or does anyone have a contact point there beyond the website there that I could check with.
History would lean toward AA granting you PLT status even with one missing segment. But we unfortunately never know what AA will do any given year.

Keith Flyer Maven gave some good advice. ^

Your thread has now been merged into the existing, active thread covering this topic. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
(I know they 'round up' if you are very close in EQM, not sure if they will do the same for segments). If they won't round up, see if they will credit the missing segment on the basis of the weather.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall any reports here where segment numbers were rounded up. There is a chart upthread based on EQM.

Original Routing Credit, as you suggest, is another alternative. But that, too, might be a bit iffy if it was caused by weather and not a mechanical delay. ORC can be granted immediately, though. I've always had good luck calling, so it can be easy to get a quick answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.