Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott PLT, National EE
You can get the miles/segment/points credit if you use a voucher, but not if you redeem miles for the flight. Good luck, hope you can find a short run.

I've read a number of times on here that if you have 99 segments at year end, there's a good chance that AA may just bump you to EXP for being "close enough". Not sure if risking it is advisable, though.

On a side note knowing you're from Madison......I'm presently on GoGo on a flight out of ORD to LAX for the Rose Bowl. I think we're somewhere over Missouri at this point and I just crossed 100K for my EXP!

The plane is 1/3 full of WI fans. Good times. Go Badgers!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I answered my own question when it comes to miles and a voucher. The flights I looked up cost more than the voucher could cover, so I was unsure if I could just use miles to pick up the rest of the tab. As I now know thats not possible.

Secondly taking the megabus would be great but the trip into the city kinda sucks. I am leaning towards a ORD-DTW-ORD run. I tried a MSN-ORD-XXX run but I cant find anything that can MSN-ORD-XXX and then return to MSN the same day.

Never played this game before haha
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
I think the OP meant that the voucher alone would not cover the full cost of the ticket.

Is there any possibility that the blizzard disrupted a trip in progress? if so, call and see about getting original routing credit - problem solved.

If not - look for the cheapest fare to anywhere out of MSN - use the voucher and pay the difference.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:30 am

Sure wish I was making my EX PLT Pilgrimage on the way to the Rose Bowl.

Be safe up there and bring home a win will ya? I will watch the game from the cold... after I make my run tomorrow haha.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The exception AA has used previously for requalifying EXP is 99,000 miles - I am not sure I have ever seen anyone report they were granted status whilst short on segments. IF a segment or two had been squashed by the late December weather, maybe - but I'd not take this maybe to the bank.

And, only a paid segment will count, whether it is paid by voucher, cash, credit card, etc. Not an award segment.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:33 am

Copy that.

ORD-DTW-ORD it is paying and voucher only.

Gotta do what you gotta do right?

Cheers for the help. Safe flying to everyone over the Holidays, good luck to any others trying to requal or hit the top tier.

And go Badgers!

Thanks-
John
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Tommyhob
You can get the miles/segment/points credit if you use a voucher, but not if you redeem miles for the flight. Good luck, hope you can find a short run.

I've read a number of times on here that if you have 99 segments at year end, there's a good chance that AA may just bump you to EXP for being "close enough". Not sure if risking it is advisable, though.

On a side note knowing you're from Madison......I'm presently on GoGo on a flight out of ORD to LAX for the Rose Bowl. I think we're somewhere over Missouri at this point and I just crossed 100K for my EXP!

The plane is 1/3 full of WI fans. Good times. Go Badgers!
Congrats on hitting EXP!

Enjoy the Rose Bowl and don't forget about the Badger Band (best band in the land IMHO)!!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:36 am

+1 for the Badger band.^
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Welcome to FT

I just did a quick check of AA.com. 12/31/10 MSN-ORD-STL-ORD-MSN for $543 and home to party like a rock star.

Granted it is not $3.27 in loose change, but still, IMHO EXP IS WELL WORTH IT! Imagine that scene in the "Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy opens the door and goes from B&W (not EXP) to color (EXP).

And this is coming from someone who has been EXP since 2005, and went EXP on a Christmas Eve/Christmas Day on a DFW-LHR-DFW turn.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
ORD-DCA-ORD is available for $198+ for a Dec 31 turnaround.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Elite status everywhere, not enough time to enjoy
My wife is 1048 miles short of Gold....any thoughts on what we can do in the next 48 hours living in ORD? Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by grantsi
My wife is 1048 miles short of Gold....any thoughts on what we can do in the next 48 hours living in ORD? Thanks
Fly 1048 miles or more? Pick somewhere 600 miles away and do a round trip.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: Elite status everywhere, not enough time to enjoy
Originally Posted by mreed911
Fly 1048 miles or more? Pick somewhere 600 miles away and do a round trip.
As soon as I posted my previous comment, I anticipated I would get that answer...I apologize for putting forth a question that had such a simple answer.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by grantsi
As soon as I posted my previous comment, I anticipated I would get that answer...I apologize for putting forth a question that had such a simple answer.
There is a buyback available, too, if she flies enough to make it worth it (bag fees, same day standby, etc.).

And, were she already gold, she'd get 500 mile minimum. So 3 short legs (or 4), like ORD-MKE, etc.

Last edited by mreed911; Dec 31, 2010 at 5:04 pm Reason: second option
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:11 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dstan
Well, Mrs. dstan, Sr.'s plans for a 2-day JFK-DCA trip were quashed by the NE snowstorm, with the earliest departure rebooking offered for Friday, Dec 31. She's 900 EQM short of requalifying for GLD, so we're pushing AAdvantage Customer Service for an exception due to the circumstances. From what she's told me, they are considering how to deal with such situations but won't have a decision until Jan 1. We'll see!
I'm happy to report that Mrs. dstan, Sr. called AAdvantage Customer Service yesterday and was granted an exception on her GLD requalification due to the cancellation of her flights during the Northeastern US Blizzard. No problem at all and a very nice agent. ^

(They ended up taking Amtrak, which cost a bundle, but got them there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.