Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Just in case you wonder, I am not alleging that I deserve anything. I even question the relevance of Lifetime anything. It makes little sense to me as a marketer when I can reward current customers rather than wasting resources on has beens. Of course, I'm on FT so I want everything I can get whether I 'deserve it' or not.

I am absolutely not a stellar customer for AA any more. I had BA Gold a couple years ago and left them for the same reasons (plus they dropped FC out of GIG) and I did not resent it when they also dropped me.

Now I need to figure out what to do with all those BA and AA miles. I wish they'd merge the programs.
As a marketer, you should realize that the lifetime status program (as it currently stands) is a great tool to get people to fly AA NOW. I switched my flying to AA from *A specifically to earn lifetime platinum for years that I would have otherwise not qualified. To be honest, I've always been surprised that they don't publicize this benefit.

FYI, BA has some cash + miles options if you're short. AA also has some great credit card deals out right now (see miles buzz thread for 75k mile offers)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The post Will I lose my EXP? and its dependencies have been relocated to the appropriate thread. Snipes, and posts taking sides with snipes, have been deleted. Please remain on topic, and do not participate in ad hominem or taking sides for / against the same.

Thank you. / Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXECUTIVE, US GOLD, HILTON DOUBLE DIAMOND :)
new to executive

Just qualified for executive for first time after being plat for the last 3 years. I had the upgrade stickers deposited, and my question is: are these deposited on a yearly basis?? Do you get more after 2011 begins??

I apologize as I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but when I do a search I get no results...

THANKS
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DudeMan40
Just qualified for executive for first time after being plat for the last 3 years. I had the upgrade stickers deposited, and my question is: are these deposited on a yearly basis?? Do you get more after 2011 begins??
No, you only get them when you qualify or re-qualify so the 8 you've just received are all you will get until you re-qualify in 2011.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
AA lost my business mostly, but that was because of pricing. They are two to three times the price of other airlines on my most frequent routes...I have lifetime Platinum but I'm curious if they'll renew me as EXP...?
Probably not, but no harm in asking, etc.

However, if you have decided not to fly AA regularly, then you'll your status sooner or later anyway, and not be able to benefit much while you have it. After all, EXP does you little good if you are sitting at home or flying a non-OW carrier.

Therefore, if some other carrier does suit your regular flying better, why not focus and try to make elite on that one?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your cheapest way might be a VOIP call to AA in the US and ask what happened to the RDU effort if it didn't post properly. The next thing is to be careful - and purchase the QF fare that will get you full AA EQM to earn what you need. (A quick trip to AKL return would render 3,286 EQM with higher fares, for instance.)

BTW, it has been posted that the exception will be followed again for 2011 status (49,000 or more EQM will render Platinum). That's only 99.x% of course, so for 100% call, document who told you and what they told you (maybe they can enter the RDU miles manually), or fly.
I phoned, problem solved, Plt again till Feb 2012!
Thanks for your suggestion.
Peace,
VMC
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, SPG
Missing ExPlat by 3k miles due to weather

I am an exec plat and my wife was going for exec plat. She currently has 81k miles towards status but we made a RDU bonus flight to japan and she will have 97k miles after those double EQM post in jan.

She was supposed to take a RT from JFK to SFO but got cancelled due to the blizzard.

She called CS and they said their systems weren't handled to do anything at all about this.

Is there any way to get her to ex plat sans flying that last segment. The timing is kind of tight and flying out of JFK now is a bit of a nightmare..she would basically have to standby for everything
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by daapower
I am an exec plat and my wife was going for exec plat. She currently has 81k miles towards status but we made a RDU bonus flight to japan and she will have 97k miles after those double EQM post in jan.

She was supposed to take a RT from JFK to SFO but got cancelled due to the blizzard.

She called CS and they said their systems weren't handled to do anything at all about this.

Is there any way to get her to ex plat sans flying that last segment. The timing is kind of tight and flying out of JFK now is a bit of a nightmare..she would basically have to standby for everything
From all reports I've read, esp. with the bonus miles, EXP will most likely not be granted (esp first time) with less than 100k. If she wants it, fly it. I would not even chnace it at 99,500 as a 5 year EXP, qualifying each year with NO bonus - although the bonus DID helkp with the >125K extras in past years.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The exception (99,000 EQM) is more than that, unfortunately, and that doesn't come into play until the following year anyway. IMO, two options: fly SOON, or send an e-mail or letter, perhaps to Sean Bentel, asking for an exceptional exception due to the weather. If the latter, include the ticket number (not just PNR) and dates, origin and destination information, and Travel Waiver / Policy information - included in the relevant thread - link.)

(He77, I'd love to see if a passenger could successfully pull the "force majeure" card on the airline! <evil grin>)

N.B. This will be / has been merged with the current thread on this topic. /Mod
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:42 pm

wow, this is very unfortunate

flights out of JFK are over $2k one way

maybe she can standby i guess
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:02 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
NE Snowstorm

Well, Mrs. dstan, Sr.'s plans for a 2-day JFK-DCA trip were quashed by the NE snowstorm, with the earliest departure rebooking offered for Friday, Dec 31. She's 900 EQM short of requalifying for GLD, so we're pushing AAdvantage Customer Service for an exception due to the circumstances. From what she's told me, they are considering how to deal with such situations but won't have a decision until Jan 1. We'll see!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:15 am

AA has been giving 1k mile execeptions...and your travel disruption gives you more of a case. good luck
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
1 seg from Ex PLT

Allrighty so due to the lovely Blizzard this week. A long time reader will become a first time poster.

I will be one segment shy of EX PLT this year. I have explored a few options, all of them are a full extra day of mileage runs. I live in Madison WI (MSN) And am looking for some assistance.

I have a travel voucher that I can use to buy another flight, but it wont be enough to cover a flight out of Madison. I was thinking of taking a trip to ORD and just getting a rental car back (short and sweet) However I am wondering : Can you use a voucher and miles and receive elite miles or segs for that? If not I will just bite the bullet. Of course I can probably travel to ORD via car and then try a ORD-DTW-ORD run but thats a full day with car travel time included.

Anywhoo, I put this one out to the travel gods. Any help or ideas?

As a side note, if you fly out of MSN a lot, we should network!

Thanks

John
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

You don't get flight segments from car rentals.
Just fly it.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:22 am

What do you mean by a voucher and miles to receive elite miles?

Using a credit voucher is the same as cash, so that should earn EQM. If you upgraded that segment with miles (????) you would still earn EQM.

You might be able to find a cheaper ticket from MSN-ORD-XXX and get off in ORD.

And, FWIW, I would take the Megabus back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.