Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kcchica
Hi. I read this in the FAQ
" in general, the only way to earn EQM and EQP is by flying (butt-in-seat). "

Is this still true?
If the facts change and the FAQ answers are no longer true, we change the FAQ. If the answer to this one had changed so recently that there was any chance at all that the FAQ was no longer true, you would be able to spot the monster thread on the first page of the forum pretty easily.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
No plane, no gain.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 8:52 am

Is this still true?

My dad is about 10k short of EXEC Plat for this year and does have a small trip planned for this weekend to come home for christmas, but I am guessing it will only earn him 4k assuming the fare class gives him 1 point/mile.
Is there anything he can do short of some extra last minute flying??

Thanks so much
kc
Is he 10K EQP or EQM short? If EQM, the fare class doesn't matter since it's always 1 EQM/flown mile unless it's under 500. If EQP, getting into F will get you 1.5 EQP/mile, but that still won't stretch it to 10k. You would need another flight.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is he 10K EQP or EQM short? If EQM, the fare class doesn't matter since it's always 1 EQM/flown mile unless it's under 500. If EQP, getting into F will get you 1.5 EQP/mile, but that still won't stretch it to 10k. You would need another flight.
To clarify... "getting into F" doesn't get you 1.5, except if there is an error.
EQP is based on the class you paid for. Of course, it is important to understand whether he is short EQP or EQM (or even EPS), especially with Double EQM promos going on. Is he near DFW/LAX/SFO?? There is a double EQM special for nonstop roundtrips between DFW and LAX/SFO. He can have other flights on the reservation as long a there is a roundtrip nonstop between DFW and either LAX or SFO. Those legs get the Double EQM, the others would get normal EQM.
He has to register for the promo.
Another possibility is if he happened to be flying STL, PIT, BNA, or RDU and has registered for those promos, has booked by Nov 30, AND returns by Dec 31 (roundtrip required). Flights MUST originate from those cities.

If I were EXP and 10K EQM short, I would plan a trip to get at least 9K (I forgot how short you can be, but I think over 99K would be good.. I would fly more than that though, as the published requirements clearly state 100K.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 15, 2010 at 9:54 am
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Is this still true?
Always interesting to see people (naively) hopeful about things like this.

- If it were not true that the only way to earn EQP/EQM is through flying, then don't you think this forum would be all a-buzz about this already?

- If you don't believe what's in the FAQ/wiki (which is maintained by FTers) then why would you believe other posters' replies?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
My dad is about 10k short of EXEC Plat for this year and does have a small trip planned for this weekend to come home for christmas
First you need to figure out exactly how many EQMs and EQPs he has. If either touches 100K, he'd be EXP. So focus on whichever is closer to 100K if there is a difference and plan accordingly. For example there is a double EQM promo right now, mentioned above. As others have said, flying is the only way, but you can minimize your pain and expense.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
To clarify... "getting into F" doesn't get you 1.5, except if there is an error.
Yes. Good clarification. As noted by mvoight, it would have to be paid F, or paid full-fare Y if you want.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Some crucial information missing here for a complete answer is: 10k what? EQ Miles, or EQ Points? That would make a difference.

But in any case, the answer requires flying: if 10k EQ Miles, then 10k miles (or fewer, if taking advantage of the current DEQM offers available), and if 10k Points, then 6,667 miles would suffice.

Theoretically (except for seat availability, fare class differential cost and change fees,) he could change his routing to add miles / points / segments - though it's impossible for me to know if sufficiently to overcome the deficiency of whatever it is we are discussing.

Is this still true?

My dad is about 10k short of EXEC Plat for this year and does have a small trip planned for this weekend to come home for christmas, but I am guessing it will only earn him 4k assuming the fare class gives him 1 point/mile.
Is there anything he can do short of some extra last minute flying??

Thanks so much
kc
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Efrem
No plane, no gain.
^

--------------------
This thread has now been merged into the existing thread on requalification for next year. /Moderator
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by aktchi
So focus on whichever is closer to 100K if there is a difference and plan accordingly.
Almost. Right now with DEQM you can earn 4 times the number of EQM you can EQP on a deep-discount ticket. E.g. DFW-SFO r/t = 5856 EQM, but only 1464 EQP if booked in G/Q/O/N/S.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by mreed911
Almost. Right now with DEQM you can earn 4 times the number of EQM you can EQP on a deep-discount ticket. E.g. DFW-SFO r/t = 5856 EQM, but only 1464 EQP if booked in G/Q/O/N/S.
You are right. I meant and should have said "focus on whichever would be least trouble/expense to bring up to 100K".
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
8 Segments Short!

After flying like mad for the year mostly on business, suddenly I've been home for two weeks straight with 8 segments left to get back to EXP.

You better believe I'm getting them. MKE-ORD-STL-ORD-MKE-ORD-MSP-ORD-MKE over three days starting Sunday! Go Bears!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by clark_addison
After flying like mad for the year mostly on business, suddenly I've been home for two weeks straight with 8 segments left to get back to EXP.

You better believe I'm getting them. MKE-ORD-STL-ORD-MKE-ORD-MSP-ORD-MKE over three days starting Sunday! Go Bears!
For EXP, I would probably do a mileage run. For Gold, not so much.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Earning AA miles - do I actually have to board the plane?

I'm just a hair short on my EXP (only 73 EQPs below 100,000 when you factor in a trip I am taking the last week of December) and am set up to do a MR ticket from LGA to BOS this coming Wednesday.

I only need the outbound leg's EQP's to make it over -- by my calculation, even though I am discount economy at 50% EQPs, I will get at least 93 EQPs based on actual miles and probably the minimum EQPs of 250.

So I was thinking, rather than spend 4 hours flying to/from Boston, can I simply check in for the Boston flight and then leave and still get the mileage. Or do I need to get to the gate and get boarded at the gate. In which case, maybe I could persuade the gate agent to swipe me and let me walk away?

Anybody have any ideas?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I think you better plan on spending some hours in the air.

If you think about it, it would not be a career-enhancing move for a gate agent to "board" someone and then let that person walk away. With security things the way they are today, having unaccounted-for pax is likely frowned on.

Bring some nice music or a good book and enjoy the ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.