Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 AAdvantage status renewal / requalification questions / issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
I've gotten ORC for weather from MKE-ORD before and ended up driving to make my connection at ORD. I've always called though, never emailed, and its always posted within a day or two after I call.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
18000 miles short of Platinum...any creative ways to get there in the next 10 days?

Yes, I'll be fine with Gold next year but if anyone has creative, cost effective ways of getting to Platinum with 18,000 more EQMs by 12/31, I'm all ears...

I would depart PHL, EWR, LGA or JFK....

I thought of a few back to back transcons, but they are pricey. I thought about going to DFW and doing a bunch of LAX and SFO hops for the DEQMs, which may work if I can get it priced right. Any other thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
2x hnl will do it...whats the max $s you will pay?....good luck...

ps, this will probably be moved to mr discussions...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
At this point your cheapest option may be the buy-back. Good luck.

cheers!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would compare the costs of doing three LGA/PHL/EWR to LAX of SFO via DFW for double DEQMs (remember the return will also need to back through DFW) versus a buy back. I'm assuming that three r/ts would do it but not exactly sure (no I don't keep exact miles between airports in my head.)

The other question is being PLT worth the cost. For example, does your travel take you Internationally where having lounge access would be a plus. But given that we are ten days before year end I think that any solution would not be cheap.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Every year, we get these threads. People look up 10 days before the end of the year, and discover that "<slaps forehead> I'm 36% short of requalifying!" There really aren't any cheap mileage runs over Christmas. Do the buyback. Most failures to plan come with steeper price tags - consider it a lesson, and next year look at where you stand for requalifying a few months earlier.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by AAir_head
At this point your cheapest option may be the buy-back. Good luck.

cheers!
highly depends on if these are flights on expense report or not.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:24 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Next year, I'm going to plan to get all my re-qualification done by 12/1 or earlier if possible.

I thought I was on track to re-qualify by the end of the end and then about 11/15, I had a massive trip to Sao Pablo cancel which cost me like 15000 miles.

So, I booked RDU-LHR roundtrip which with the DEQM would be enough. And then RDU-JFK-LHR on Sunday canceled and then RDU-ORD-LHR on Monday canceled. So, I flew back to Boston. And flew back to RDU today. RDU-LHR non-stop is looking good tonight. Hopefully LHR-RDU on Friday will be good too.

And I will re-qualify for Platinum.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Turns out the buy back is cheaper than mileage runs ($769). Even though my status will expire in a few months, I can buy back until 4/30/11.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...e=eliterenewal

Thanks for that tip. I consider myself pretty well versed on AAdvantage, but didn't know this existed. I thought USAir was leading the charge in charging people for status (all tiers up to their highest).
Old Dec 22, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PHL
I thought USAir was leading the charge in charging people for status (all tiers up to their highest).
They still are.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Nest ticket to BNA, RDU or PIT, fly to any number of Euro destinations (preferably ones with less snow) or EZE ab back to the same originating aiport. Should be able to get the 18K you need with the DBLEQM promotion in place. Make sure you register. That said, though, weigh the cost of a ticket bought on short notice with the buy back cost. But it can be done with miles if you can bear the freight costs.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:10 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Nest ticket to BNA, RDU or PIT, fly to any number of Euro destinations (preferably ones with less snow) or EZE ab back to the same originating aiport. Should be able to get the 18K you need with the DBLEQM promotion in place. Make sure you register. That said, though, weigh the cost of a ticket bought on short notice with the buy back cost. But it can be done with miles if you can bear the freight costs.
Problem is, tickets for all those promotions needed to be purchased by 11/30.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
MR help from MEL - status completion problems

We're in MEL and short 2679 miles from PLT and I'm freaking. The RDU deal didn't give me what I thought it would, no idea what happened to my triple mile bonus on that....
But, we've got a few more days so does anyone have suggestions for a cheap MR?
Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:43 am

If you are in MEL, I think you just need to search for the cheapest QF fares you can find that get you the miles you need. Darwin, Perth, or Auckland seem like likely choices. I'd probably avoid Cairns given the weather right now...
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:58 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Check http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...tasAirways.jsp for eligible QF fares to earn AA miles prior to booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.