Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever leave stuff unattended at the Admirals Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Do you ever leave stuff unattended at the Admirals Club?

I find that I regularly leave stuff unattended at the AC...short 3 minute bathroom trips.

Anyone do the same?

Have you ever had a problem with this?

Seems that the chances of getting anything stolen would be nil?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAaLot
I find that I regularly leave stuff unattended at the AC...short 3 minute bathroom trips.

Anyone do the same?

Have you ever had a problem with this?

Seems that the chances of getting anything stolen would be nil?
All the time, for substantially longer than 3 minutes (even a couple of hours). Never had a problem.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
yes, but it depends on which club. I'm quite comfortable doing that at AUS and DFW. a little more nervous in some places that are less familiar to me. YMMV.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I'm of a different mind. Maybe I've traveled too much in the developing world and had too many friends/family lose their stuff in the blink of an eye (which is all the time it takes for an enterprising thief).

I never leave my belongings unattended at any time, even inside the lounges. Everything goes with me into the bathroom. Even into the stall.

If I'm going to be sleeping for a while in a lounge, I cable-lock my bags together and rest my legs on one of them, so that nobody could grab them without disturbing me.

I also do not use those open "luggage cubbies" in the lounges, even the ones in view of the check-in desk. Too easy for somebody to grab mine and head off without anybody noticing.

Now, when I've got a long layover at a place like DFW and I want some exercise, I will use the closed lockers in the clubs to hold my stuff while I wander around the airport. If I'm using the exercise room at the A club, I get a shower key and leave my bags in the shower room while I exercise.

If I'm traveling with someone, or if I know the AC AAngel or bartender well enough and ask permission, I leave my stuff under their watchful eyes while I use the restroom.

But NO, I never just abandon my stuff sitting out somewhere in lounges or concourses. Again, all it takes is a second or two for somebody to swipe it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by vasantn
All the time, for substantially longer than 3 minutes (even a couple of hours). Never had a problem.
+1

In fact, I just got back to my stuff after 10+ minutes unattended at the BNA club. It's still here!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I think it really depends on the lounge I'm in, based on foot traffic of course. Some of the smaller clubs like IAD, BNA, and YYZ. I may leave it for a couple mins but otherwise no.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
My computer bag is with me at all times, but my rollerboard, I leave in the bag store area.

Why would somebody want my clothes?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Frequently.

I carry my wallet, passport, etc... with me at all times but the carryon will often times be unattended.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Why would somebody want my clothes?
I have the same point of view. I'll leave my larger item behind which would contain primarily clothing (backpack, duffle bag, rollaboard- depending on destination), and take my daypack with netbook, electronics/cables, wallet, travel documents with me.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I'm of a different mind. Maybe I've traveled too much in the developing world and had too many friends/family lose their stuff in the blink of an eye (which is all the time it takes for an enterprising thief).
Any of those in airline clubs, though?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ESpen36

I never leave my belongings unattended at any time, even inside the lounges. Everything goes with me into the bathroom. Even into the stall.

If I'm going to be sleeping for a while in a lounge, I cable-lock my bags together and rest my legs on one of them, so that nobody could grab them without disturbing me.

I also do not use those open "luggage cubbies" in the lounges, even the ones in view of the check-in desk. Too easy for somebody to grab mine and head off without anybody noticing.

Now, when I've got a long layover at a place like DFW and I want some exercise, I will use the closed lockers in the clubs to hold my stuff while I wander around the airport. If I'm using the exercise room at the A club, I get a shower key and leave my bags in the shower room while I exercise.

If I'm traveling with someone, or if I know the AC AAngel or bartender well enough and ask permission, I leave my stuff under their watchful eyes while I use the restroom.

But NO, I never just abandon my stuff sitting out somewhere in lounges or concourses. Again, all it takes is a second or two for somebody to swipe it.
+1. All the same except for the sleeping part. I wouldn't even sleep with my bags handcuffed to my foot, too many ambitious thieves out there. I trust no one and suspect everyone.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Frequently.

I carry my wallet, passport, etc... with me at all times but the carryon will often times be unattended.
My habit, exactly...the goodies go with me, but not the rollaboard. The AC is a reasonably closed environment and, yes, someone could guest in a 'thief', but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
All the time. Just a couple of weeks ago, I left my stuff at one of the JFK ACs for over an hour while I went for a run. (For anyone looking to run at JFK, (a) leave your stuff at the AC -- it's perfectly safe -- just remember to bring your boarding pass and ID so you can get back in, and (b) take the free ride on the AirTrain to Federal Circle, where you can run around the cargo areas and into Queens.)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
All the time. In fact one of the reasons I have AC membership. Always surprised by how empty the luggage storage areas are. I guess a long time ago people trusted each other to leave stuff there.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by travelismylife
+1. All the same except for the sleeping part. I wouldn't even sleep with my bags handcuffed to my foot, too many ambitious thieves out there. I trust no one and suspect everyone.
Wow! If travel is your life, as your handle indicates, that must be a very stressful way to live! It's not in my nature to worry that much. Life's too short.

Do you also not sleep on flights for fear that someone may steal your belongings from the overhead bin?

Or maybe my sarcasm meter is not functioning ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.