Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever leave stuff unattended at the Admirals Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ferrismo
I don't see how being in the first class lounge would make a difference? A lot of successful people got were they are by breaking the rules and being unscrupulous, always looking for an opportunity. Warren Buffett stole a set of golf clubs from a store when he was a kid, I bet if you left your carry-on next to him at the lounge he'd be having a rumble through your stuff once you went to the toilet. He'd just think what a thoughtless sucker you are and you obviously don't value any of your stuff so I might as well help myself.
Somehow, the thought of Warren Buffett going through my luggage and stealing my dirty clothes just doesn't compute.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vasantn
Somehow, the thought of Warren Buffett going through my luggage and stealing my dirty clothes just doesn't compute.
Although I'd let him because, you know, money could fall out of his pocket into my bag in the process.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
Lucky for you, because I wait for someone to be in the bathroom for 4 minutes or more, before I decide to take their stuff...
^^
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: krisflyer, spg, priority club, Hyatt Plat,
Originally Posted by vasantn
That's the beauty of it, do you think security are going to believe you when you tell them Warren Buffet stole your soiled underpants? They're more likely to arrest you for besmirching a VIP.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
This rule was discontinued years ago. Today, it officially applies only on international flights departing a foreign location TO the United States.

Of course, that's the theory. In practice, it's up to the crew on board. Some pilots make the announcement even on shorthaul domestic, others never say a word about it on the international flights where they are supposed to announce it. So, just follow the crew's instructions (as the FAA requires you to do), and things will be fine.
On lots of domestic flights (even before 12/25), I've been hearing that announcement from the captain; on several flights the fa's have been sending y passengers back to their cabin when they tried using fc/bc toilet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I follow the general rule most folks here seem to have ... and have been burned twice.
Take laptop bag with me even for a soda re-fill, leave everything else behind. However...

USAirways Club PHX
Had my travel wallet stolen. Nice ticket folder sized wallet where I keep all my frequent flyer/hotel car rental cards, Airline lounge membership cards etc. When I entered the club I left my backpack (clothes and such) in my seat on top of the wallet then ran to the restroom. Wallet gone on my return. I guess someone thot it was my actual wallet with credit cards and such.

NW WorldClub HNL
Left my carry on in a "cubby hole" while I went out for some last minute gifts. Mostly clothes i the bag, but I did have my Bose headphones packed in the middle. Specifically remembered putting them there back at the hotel, thot to put them in center compartment instead of usual center pocket since I knew I'd be leaving the bag awhile. Bag was there and looked ok on my return, but settling in after boarding, the headphones were not there. Somebody knew that bag was "attached" to the guy that just walked out of the club, so knew they had time to go thru it. This club is one w/o restrooms so I assume it's common for folks to leave for a few minutes making it an easy target.

Steve
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Does Buffet travel on commercial planes? I would assume he had a private jet and would be driven by his limo up to the plane--no need to hang out in an AC or Flagship lounge.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by steve64
This club is one w/o restrooms so I assume it's common for folks to leave for a few minutes making it an easy target.
I believe I have located the culprit. Has the statute of limitations expired?

Originally Posted by mvoight
I wait for someone to be in the bathroom for 4 minutes or more, before I decide to take their stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: krisflyer, spg, priority club, Hyatt Plat,
Originally Posted by nrr
Does Buffet travel on commercial planes? I would assume he had a private jet and would be driven by his limo up to the plane--no need to hang out in an AC or Flagship lounge.
Yeah he does travel by private jet. Only because every airline has banned him due to his persistent stealing of other passengers belongings
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bniu
in flight is less of an issue since there really isn't anywhere for a thief to run and theoretically, the flight can be met by police upon landing and no one gets off until the stolen property gets returned. In addition
Really. So, if I want to hold up all of the passengers on a flight for HOURS, all I have to do is say someone stole my ipod? Can you imagine the effect if a few people wanted to do this to disrupt air operations in the US?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
I was at an AC recently (LGA?) and saw that they had a mix of open and locking compartments. Conflicting thoughts - secure, but...what might get left?

I leave stuff in the bag room all the time. Never had a problem, never met anyone who did.

The bag check fee has a domino effect. Fees = more carryons = less carryon space all around. Besides overhead bin crowding, I see traffic jams in shops and restaurants - bags take up people space. In busy lounges, it can be aggravating to see 2 people taking 5 seats worth of floor space to make room for themselves and bags, while the bag room, 15 feet away, is empty.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I leave my carry-on and sometimes laptop for short trips to get a refill or to the bathroom in ACs in the U.S. ....and feel relatively comfortable leaving luggage (without valuables) in luggage room in ACs and FL, but generally take it all with me or stay within eye contact of it when traveling abroad, especially in other airline lounges. May not be PC but I don't have the time to learn the societal mores of each country's citizenry that might be in the lounge while abroad and it's better to be safe than sorry.

On the inflight stealing topic:

Beyond the alleged inflight thievery by Cybil Shepherd's son (linked in thread earlier), there was a 10 January incident on AF:

French police have launched an investigation into the theft of a large sum of money from business-class passengers on a Tokyo to Paris Air France flight.

It is thought that a pickpocket managed to steal 4,000 euros (£3,600) from five people while they were asleep on the plane, according to a report in the Le Figaro newspaper.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
It's a basic personal risk assment quesiton. Always some risk in leaving things behind. For me i've decided it's a relative low risk i'm willing to take.

That said i came back and something missing i fully accept that was my fault.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
I leave my stuff all the time, have done so for years, never had a problem. I am more concerned that my bags might be deemed "unattended" and therefore confiscated rather than stolen.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by richarddd
According to FBI statistics, NYC has the lowest rate of property crime of any major US city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._by_crime_rate

I hope this helps to restore your faith
That's because they've all learned to keep things locked up.

In any case, things were far different there in the 1960's and 1970's. Three murders a day, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.