Do you ever leave stuff unattended at the Admirals Club?

Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn

Do you also not sleep on flights for fear that someone may steal your belongings from the overhead bin?
Well, it does happen.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Sorry to report that Legal Seafood is no more at DCA.
Good to know. Haven't flow thru DCA in many months, but might have to soon. (note to self: cross off "get dinner at LS" on DCA stop list)

Was actually introduced to Legal Seafood at DCA by the AAngels at the DCA A/C: flights significantly delayed/irrops, they gave out food vouchers & suggested Legal would be the best use of them. I had never needed to go to that end of DCA's concourse before, so didn't really know it was there, but was glad to discover it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Wow! If travel is your life, as your handle indicates, that must be a very stressful way to live! It's not in my nature to worry that much. Life's too short.

Do you also not sleep on flights for fear that someone may steal your belongings from the overhead bin?

Or maybe my sarcasm meter is not functioning ...
in flight is less of an issue since there really isn't anywhere for a thief to run and theoretically, the flight can be met by police upon landing and no one gets off until the stolen property gets returned. In addition, the coach cabin is pretty dense and there will be plenty of witnesses. Premium cabins is less of an issue since most ppl there probably paid big bucks to sit there or have traveled alot to sit up there and have virtually zero incentive to steal stuff.

Usually, I keep my eye on my stuff in the main lounges (admirals club, red carpet club, etc) but I will be more trusting in the First class lounges (FL, intl first lounge, etc) since no one can buy membership into those areas, they have to be either top tier (implies they have lots of money to spend) or first class passengers (they're rich!) and why would someone who paid $25K for his ticket care enough to steal your $1000 laptop?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Sorry to report that Legal Seafood is no more at DCA.

Right at the top of my list of "best food at the airport". Between that and the Metro station at the airport, (and the AC), DCA was one of my favorites.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Like many, yes i leave stuff unattended all the time in AC. I smoked again until recently and would often hop out of side for a smoke. Never been an issue, though i accepted the the small risk associted with it.

The angles at the SJC bar were always great about leave your stuff here i'll keep and eye on it for you.

But also like some i always make sure i have wallet and passport with me (if traveling with it) in the unlikely event something were to get stolen. Also, there are certianly regions of the world where will not do this, but in most AC's it been a safe risk.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bniu
in flight is less of an issue since there really isn't anywhere for a thief to run and theoretically, the flight can be met by police upon landing and no one gets off until the stolen property gets returned. In addition, the coach cabin is pretty dense and there will be plenty of witnesses. Premium cabins is less of an issue since most ppl there probably paid big bucks to sit there or have traveled alot to sit up there and have virtually zero incentive to steal stuff.

Usually, I keep my eye on my stuff in the main lounges (admirals club, red carpet club, etc) but I will be more trusting in the First class lounges (FL, intl first lounge, etc) since no one can buy membership into those areas, they have to be either top tier (implies they have lots of money to spend) or first class passengers (they're rich!) and why would someone who paid $25K for his ticket care enough to steal your $1000 laptop?
(1)Even though pax are only supposed to use the toilets in their assigned section, I have seen "steerage" use the fc/bc restrooms.
(2)Pax steals some item and puts it in a false bottom (compartment) in his carry-on, the police not finding the item lost, might think that "you" made the whole thing up.
(3)A credit card pilfered from ones wallet may be worth lots of money to a credit card ring.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by millions
Yes, and people do get struck by lightning. I don't spend much time worrying about that, either.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)Even though pax are only supposed to use the toilets in their assigned section, I have seen "steerage" use the fc/bc restrooms.

This rule was discontinued years ago. Today, it officially applies only on international flights departing a foreign location TO the United States.

Of course, that's the theory. In practice, it's up to the crew on board. Some pilots make the announcement even on shorthaul domestic, others never say a word about it on the international flights where they are supposed to announce it. So, just follow the crew's instructions (as the FAA requires you to do), and things will be fine.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:24 pm

Many times I leave my personal belongings out at the AC both at LAX and JFK.. I have never had a problem....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT,1.4MM
It's funny, I was just thinking about this last week when flying through EWR. I was in the AC and needed to use the restroom. I saw others leaving their stuff behind to use the restroom so decided to do the same. I was only gone about 3 minutes, but still worried a little. Of course, everything was there when I returned.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
I always take my passport and important items with me. I leave my carryon in the coat room area. It has never been a problem for me in DFW 'D' or the LHR arrivals.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
I usually will leave my bag and laptop plugged in and sitting on my seat. ALWAYS take wallet with me. never had a problem, but stuff happens...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAaLot
I find that I regularly leave stuff unattended at the AC...short 3 minute bathroom trips.

Anyone do the same?

Have you ever had a problem with this?

Seems that the chances of getting anything stolen would be nil?
Lucky for you, because I wait for someone to be in the bathroom for 4 minutes or more, before I decide to take their stuff...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I never leave my documents, wallet, cell phone, camera, etc unattended.

Books, magazines, clothing etc., I would leave for a few minutes - or longer, but then I'd bring them to somebody's attention.

I don't travel with a laptop - waiting for the Apple Tablet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: krisflyer, spg, priority club, Hyatt Plat,
I don't see how being in the first class lounge would make a difference? A lot of successful people got were they are by breaking the rules and being unscrupulous, always looking for an opportunity. Warren Buffett stole a set of golf clubs from a store when he was a kid, I bet if you left your carry-on next to him at the lounge he'd be having a rumble through your stuff once you went to the toilet. He'd just think what a thoughtless sucker you are and you obviously don't value any of your stuff so I might as well help myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.