Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever leave stuff unattended at the Admirals Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Other than Philadelphia, are there many Admirals Clubs that are not in the secure area of the airport (meaning the TSA or non-U.S. security agency has already screened the bags)?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I routinely leave stuff unattended and unlocked. As long as my carry on does not look "interesting" to a thief (ie not a laptop bag and no obvious signs of valuables) I figure I'll be okay.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by tt7
Finally! - someone who appreciates that this is a security issue, not a question of whether someone is going to nick your stuff. For those who don't see it as a security issue, if they ask you at the gate "have your bags been with you at all times?" what do you say? Do you just lie?
If you check your bags with the bellman for a couple of hours after you check out of your room, do you completely repack them before you go to the airport? That's another security issue that seems at least as serious, especially compared to leaving luggage unattended inside the so-called sterile area of the terminal.

I probably would NOT leave my bags unattended at PHL, by the way, but it has been years since I have been to that airport.

Last edited by makfan; Jan 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by tt7
Finally! - someone who appreciates that this is a security issue, not a question of whether someone is going to nick your stuff. For those who don't see it as a security issue, if they ask you at the gate "have your bags been with you at all times?" what do you say? Do you just lie?
It is hardly any kind of security issue. "With" can mean anything. Technically, if I throw my bags in the trunk of a cab on the way to the airport, or leave them in my hotel room while I go and have breakfast, they have not been "with" me at all times. These questions are completely stupid, anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fellowtraveler
I leave stuff there all the time while stepping away, and have never had a concern. Did, however, have my dignity stolen once at the EWR club. Stepped away from the AC pc, apparently while logged into my yahoo e-mail, and some wag sent what was apparently the mother of all obscene messages over my signature to a close (woman) friend.

At least that's my story.
did she take you up on "your suggestion"?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG GOLD
Would not leave a bag with $$, electronics, etc. unattended. Rollaboard with clothes is another matter.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by vasantn
It is hardly any kind of security issue. "With" can mean anything. Technically, if I throw my bags in the trunk of a cab on the way to the airport, or leave them in my hotel room while I go and have breakfast, they have not been "with" me at all times. These questions are completely stupid, anyway.
Right. Just like if you've come off a connecting flight - does that mean you have to be awake looking at the bins all flight to be sure no one tampered with your carry on, or inspect checked bags at the baggage claim just in case a baggage handler put something in or took it out?

It is a stupid question, deserving of a stupid answer.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

I know it is naughty, but I routinely leave my bags for long periods of time in the luggage area or at a seat. Knock on wood, no problems yet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Within the US, sure....when I'm on a layover at the airport that's long enough to allow getting out & doing something. I just leave it in the cubby holes. I have no flashy luggage tags. I lock them whilst I'm gone. I do have a smaller messenger-bag type thing that's really easy to take w/ me wherever, & sure, I'll take my passport, tickets, etc. small laptop, w/ me. Larger carry-on stays "behind" at the A/C.

LAX--when catching the Parking Spot shuttle over to In & Out Burgers, or the Ocean Express shuttle over to Manhattan Beach.
JFK--when going out for a run
SFO--when going to the "other airline's" concourse for seafood.
DCA--when going down the concourse to grab a meal at Legal Seafood (before LS closed)
ORD--in the FL, when going down to the A/C to grab a shower (someday that lease scenario will be a thing of the past & the A/C & F/L will be in the same orbit)
RDU--when going for a quick hike/walk in the nearby state park.
MIA--when the airport hotel in the middle of the terminal had great prices on day passes for the gym on the top floor (unless I just had a smaller carry-on then I'd just take it w/ me)
DFW---only when my fligths are in/out of A or C, but I'm meeting someone (say, a fellow FTer) for the better food options in D

The only international ones I've felt leaving stuff at were:
NRT--when visiting that cool temple & gardens that's a short train hop away from NRT
FRA--when hitting the cool grocery store nearby, in the airport.

Last edited by skye1; Jan 12, 2010 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by skye1
DCA--when going down the concourse to grab a meal at Legal Seafood.
Sorry to report that Legal Seafood is no more at DCA.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:10 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
From other threads on FT, some AC members have guested in total strangers (people hanging around the entrance)--these could present a problem with pilferage, since they are "unknowns".
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Leave...bags....unattended....airport. Am I the only one who has a faint recollection of hearing these words frequently used with the word never?
I can't imagine why it's even possible to do this any more.
Because we all know that Terrorists do not fly business or first class therefore do not frequent executive lounges.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 17thousandkm
Because we all know that Terrorists do not fly business or first class therefore do not frequent executive lounges.
Better watch out. They're everywhere!
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by tom911
Other than Philadelphia, are there many Admirals Clubs that are not in the secure area of the airport (meaning the TSA or non-U.S. security agency has already screened the bags)?
The AC in Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) is outside the secure area.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
As many trips as I've done there with fellow FTers, I really should know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.