Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OJgate: Asking For Orange Juice May Violate Federal Law / AA Investigating FA Helen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:35 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
It suddenly donned on me that there are more than likely several flight attendants named Helen at American Airlines. I feel sorry for the rest of them, because I'm sure every single one of them will get some dirty eyes from people that read about this story.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, the number of people on any given who know anything at all about this story is really really small. Hell, if this weren't splashed all over the first page here on a regular basis like a gaping wound, I'd not know anything about it as I don't read/follow sensationalist tripe like this.

Now, reduce the small numbers above by those who might actually recall that her name is "Helen" and we're likely talking about less than 1 passenger in 100. That's 1-2 people per plane, and probably less. Of those, consider how many would think that the present Helen is that Helen, and the number gets really small.

No, other FAs named Helen are not being ostracized by this, I'm quite sure.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by JSteele
Could you imagine what it must be like for all of the other flight attendants at AA named Helen, a rather common name?

Either they get some new found authority as many pax and some FTers will be scared, or the just keep smiling and telling everyone "I'm not THAT Helen"
Or perhaps reply, "Yeah, you got a problem with my name?"
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by benzguy80
That would be stereotyping in a very dumb extreme. kind of like mistreating people named George because you dislike 'W'.
This reminds me of my father (one of whose given names was George), in whose effects after his death, I found a SPCSCPG membership card. It was the acronym for the “Society for the Prevention of Calling Sleeping Car Porters "George". Googling it will bring up a number of references but IMO the best is , this from Time magazine in the 1930s.

In it you will find that the group also opposed a trademark for a cleaning and scouring powder to be marketed as “Let George Do It”. They argued that “it is doubtless true that the Georges have performed most of the useful work of the world since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary, but the facile and facetious manner in which responsibility is delegated to us by Tom, Dick and Harry and others too lazy and too incompetent to assume it themselves is decidedly irksome to us Georges. . . . Besides, why should George do it?” .

This Time article resulted in the revelation that there was another organization whose purpose was to “discourage the use of a distinguished Christian name to designate” a toilet fixture, the “Society for the Prevention of Calling Lavatories ‘John’.”

I’m sure my Dad was influenced by his father, also named George, who was a Conductor on passenger trains running between Washington DC and Chicago in the days before air travel when a Pullman berth was the "lie-flat" seat of its time.

“Helen” is an ancient and beautiful name. The questionable actions of one person who shared it will not matter.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by benzguy80
that would be stereotyping in a very dumb extreme. kind of like mistreating people named George because you dislike 'W'.
Not really. Everyone does (or should) know exactly who George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States is. Even if you said "a former POTUS named George" there are only two living examples. In this case, you have no idea who the FA in question is among the AA FAs named Helen. However, pending the outcome of the investigation, it would seem reasonable that she's not interfacing with customers in the cabin.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
So what happened with all the Helens at AA?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kappa
... “Society for the Prevention of Calling Sleeping Car Porters "George" ... “Society for the Prevention of Calling Lavatories ‘John’.” ...
It's the guys named Richard who have the real problem.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Efrem
It's the guys named Richard who have the real problem.
Mind if I call ya ....?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Helen and Orange Juice

hi, wanted to see if anyone knows what ever became of "Helen", the FA that had a melt down when a PAX asked for OJ?

Did AA sweep it under the rug? Did Helen get fired? Did the PAX get an apology?

Last updates look like they were from January this year.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Tucker501
hi, wanted to see if anyone knows what ever became of "Helen", the FA that had a melt down when a PAX asked for OJ?

Did AA sweep it under the rug? Did Helen get fired? Did the PAX get an apology?

Last updates look like they were from January this year.
The original reports said that the pax in question, as well as other F pax, received apologies from AA.

I'd like to know what AA concluded in their investigation. Last report I saw (from the time of the incident), AA said they were conducting a thorough investigation.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:21 am

We will never know the outcome of AA's investigation, as personnel issues are kept confidential.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by skylady
We will never know the outcome of AA's investigation, as personnel issues are kept confidential.
I wouldn't expect to be told what happened to the FA, as that should of course be confidential. I was hoping AA would release some details as to what their investigation determined the facts were. (The story on consumerist.com had several red flags that made me suspect it was not entirely accurate.)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Based on multiple sources, I believe the original story held up pretty much as reported.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question

Neither pprune nor airlinecrew.net had any follow-up. I'm most curious from insiders whether the fa in question was fired.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by emma dog
Based on multiple sources, I believe the original story held up pretty much as reported.
I have to agree. If the story was not accurate AA would have made a big issue of the results of its investigation. Wonder what happened to the Captain.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:04 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Neither pprune nor airlinecrew.net had any follow-up. I'm most curious from insiders whether the fa in question was fired.
I sincerely doubt that anyone here who knows will be willing to share that information for privacy reasons, and I don't blame them. It's up to AA and it's policies as to whether or not the outcome of the investigation is disclosed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.