Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by photodave
Took me about 5 minutes when I did it a couple of times in September. It's really no big deal.
How soon they all forget seems we have brought up a nation of wimps....not too long ago all the complaints here was about the walk from E to A1.

I believe the new FL will be located near the old AC at D7 in what was formerly concourse A can... you say 2011?

mike
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Try the hike from the F/L to D50/D21 ...
Its good exercise before a long flight.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA is slowly getting better and better. The hike from E to the end of D is a pain in a tight connection (has happen to me on several occasions). Anyone know when E will close and what will be the track of the airtrain once fully completed and operational?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
"All great buildings have cost overruns.''

I love the justification... fantastic public employee quote. Is he inferring that the the terminal would not have been great if it was done on budget? I hope none of his potential employers read that quote.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JumboD
Anyone know if they'll have security checkpoints that don't mandate use of the body scanner? I haven't been in MIA since last June and will be traveling there in January. I want desperately to avoid this fourth amendment violation.
Originally Posted by aerofreaky
They can't mandate the actual body imaging. You can opt out. You need to say something though. In fact, there is a sign on it...saying that it is optional.
They can, however, force you to take a secondary if you refuse the strip search machine (There's a long thread about this in TS&S.).

Mike
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
MIA is slowly getting better and better. The hike from E to the end of D is a pain in a tight connection (has happen to me on several occasions). Anyone know when E will close and what will be the track of the airtrain once fully completed and operational?
The entire E concourse will close ( and the statellite will be demolished.. other gates not sure if they will be refurbished) when the project is far enough along to reopen what was old "A" ..circa 2011?

The train will run from D1-D55, four stations.

mike
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Does anyone have any reports/pictures of the new ticketing area at MIA, which was supposed to open today?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bcm0830
Does anyone have any reports/pictures of the new ticketing area at MIA, which was supposed to open today?
I will be there tomorrow for MIA-MAD... I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
The train will run from D1-D55, four stations.

mike
Does anyone know how it will work to take the train to the parking lot? A year or so ago a flight attendent told me you would be able to take a train directly to the parking lot. My guess is you will have to change trains. Does anyone have any info on this. I see the new train that will go the the parking lot and car rentals is under way.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I was at MIA this morning for AA 518 MIA-JFK. AA 518 departed from D40 so I entered at the D Security point. More than half the screening equipment was gone since my last pass through last week. There were signs stating that security point would close 04 November and directed people to the new security entrance which I believe is the old B.

I asked one the the GAs at the First Class check-in area about timing of the trains and she said she heard that would be April. I couldn't resist in verifying that would be April 2010.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
[QUOTE=sharklover;12759645]Does anyone know how it will work to take the train to the parking lot?
The new train on the roof will be inside of security, so it will not take you close to parking. The other train connects to rental cars and new train station.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by farrish11
"All great buildings have cost overruns.''

I love the justification... fantastic public employee quote. Is he inferring that the the terminal would not have been great if it was done on budget? I hope none of his potential employers read that quote.
I can infer that you believe inferring means implying. See The Office 2:8.

I had the same exact feeling when reading this. And I love the comparison to the Opera House in Sydney.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Just a heads up: brand new and drastically improved check-in counter/areas open at MIA on Tuesday
At check-in last Wednesday the TA told us that it was opening Friday, November 5th, and that the agents were asked to 'bid' for either the old area or new area for their shifts.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
and the train should start running soon, as well, between D49 and D30.
We arrived yesterday at D48 and the walk to immigration was embarasingly long--long open hallways, followed by single door passages. I'll miss the low E international arrivals. Will the train help at all with the walk to immigration?

Originally Posted by HNL
here's a link to a map & schedule of the new north terminal complex at MIA for context.
http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/NTD_Fact_Sheet.pdf
Anyone know what the new EBS concrete building is opposite the nee gates D53-55 and adjacent to D50? Is it a baggage thing? Seems quite large and out of place.

Originally Posted by mia
The Herald couldn't even pin down a date, just "next week," but this was the best quote: ``The Opera House in Sydney [Australia] was 1,300 percent over its original budget,'' he said. ``All great buildings have cost overruns.'' Hmmmmm, Sydney Opera v. Dade County govt, better not let the county managers know they've got competition!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Thumbs down

I was at MIA Oct 26th. Let me tell you, anything would be an
improvement on the old setup they had. I swore I would never fly
through MIA again, as the AA ticket counter there was disorganized,
slow and rude.

It wasn't immediately obvious where you were supposed to queue up
to see an agent; I was standing in the wrong place and was yelled at
to get in the right line.

Some poor guy dropped his ID behind a ticket agents computer. Instead
of shifting to an empty station and having someone else fish out the ID,
that ticket agent sat there while another ticket agent tried to use broom
handles and so on to get it out. So 2 of 6 ticket agents were doing
something other than taking care of passengers.

I got to the head of a queue with of the ticket agent who previously
berated me for being in an "exit" lane, and she decided to take lunch
right then. There was no one to fill in her spot for 15 minutes; I guess
management must not have spotted the 40+ passengers waiting
impatiently ...

In any other airport, with 6 ticket agents, the 20 or so people ahead
of me could have been handled in 10 minutes or so, and I would be
out of there in 15 minutes, and made the flight I wanted to stand by
for; as a PLT I had a decent chance of getting on it, I think.

As it was, I had to burn $100 and 25k miles for a 1st class seat so as
to make sure I made it home that night.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
At check-in last Wednesday the TA told us that it was opening Friday, November 5th, and that the agents were asked to 'bid' for either the old area or new area for their shifts.
November 5 (2009) is a Thursday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.