Wiki Posts
Search

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Just a heads up: brand new and drastically improved check-in counter/areas open at MIA on Tuesday, as do two new security screening areas.

All-in-all, 290,000 square feet of space opens on Tuesday, and the train should start running soon, as well, between D49 and D30.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:39 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

here's a link to a map & schedule of the new north terminal complex at MIA for context.
http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/NTD_Fact_Sheet.pdf
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
YEAH! I can't wait for the train. Its a long trek from the AC to Gate 42!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Anyone know if they'll have security checkpoints that don't mandate use of the body scanner? I haven't been in MIA since last June and will be traveling there in January. I want desperately to avoid this fourth amendment violation.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:01 pm

They can't mandate the actual body imaging. You can opt out. You need to say something though. In fact, there is a sign on it...saying that it is optional.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Just a heads up: brand new and drastically improved check-in counter/areas open at MIA on Tuesday, as do two new security screening areas.

All-in-all, 290,000 square feet of space opens on Tuesday, and the train should start running soon, as well, between D49 and D30.
I cant wait to see this.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Anyone know where the screening areas will be? The words "improvement" and "MIA" together in the same sentence send shivers down my spine.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
MIA's delayed North Terminal to finally open doors

Miami Herald article here...

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/1309096.html
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Originally Posted by mvedda
YEAH! I can't wait for the train. Its a long trek from the AC to Gate 42!
Try the hike from the AC to D21!

It would be nice if AA would update their website with a new MIA map reflecting the new gates and other changes. The new low D gates have been in use for several weeks but the MIA map doesn't reflect them, it still shows C!

Last edited by MileHigh; Oct 31, 2009 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I've been relatively happy with the terminals since my flights always seem to leave from the E gates (MIA-LAX mostly), and while it's a little bit of a walk to baggage claim, it's not to bad.

I suppose it's too much to hope for that this will not make things worse for me.

All I really want is a way to get my luggage cart onto the rental car island without lifting it.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA 2.88 MM-EXPlat, HHDiamond, SPG & Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MileHigh
Try the hike from the AC to D21!
C!
I just did this hike this morning and it is a trek. I was eyeing the closed Skytrain entrances as I walked and walked and walked.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I'm on AA 518 MIA-JFK on Tuesday for weekly commute which typically departs from D21. That's quite a hike from the D AC.

As for the trains, I too see the signs up blocking the escalator entrances. I hope they open up soon.

Does anyone know if there'll be an AC in this new section? I think I read that the Flagship Lounge will relocate too...to this new section (North Terminal?).
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on AA 518 MIA-JFK on Tuesday for weekly commute which typically departs from D21. That's quite a hike from the D AC.

As for the trains, I too see the signs up blocking the escalator entrances. I hope they open up soon.

Does anyone know if there'll be an AC in this new section? I think I read that the Flagship Lounge will relocate too...to this new section (North Terminal?).
AA will reopen the the AC in the old Terminal A, now Low D gates. I'm note sure where the FL will be located.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Try the hike from the AC to D21! ...
Try the hike from the F/L to D50/D21 ...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by serfty
Try the hike from the F/L to D50/D21 ...
Took me about 5 minutes when I did it a couple of times in September. It's really no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.