Wiki Posts
Search

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by MileHigh
I should have used the term relocate; I think the AC at E will move to the "old" A perhaps where the BA Terraces Lounge was.
BA Terraces lounge is undergoing extensive refurbishments and will re-open next year. There already is a new AC in the old A part, it closed shortly after it opened because A closed entirely.

Originally Posted by MileHigh
Hopefully the trains that service the D gates will be operating soon although I was told that would be in April (2010).

I also look forward to the new AC although I've not heard a date for that.
The trains are technically "operating" and are in full working order, ready to take passengers. Which is why the continual delay of them is mysterious. Everything is operable.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
The D FIS facilities will not open until 2010. The only "new" thing at MIA is the check-in areas. The North Terminal Project is ongoing.
Not correct. Unless you are going through E (which only about 1/4 of AA flights use), everything is now 100% through the new terminal now, from curb to gate.

Last week:
-the drop off area and curbside check in is newly opened
-all of the old ticketing counters are closed.
-2 new security checkpoints opened, one on tuesday the other on thursday
-new baggage claim opened, and the old baggage carousels are closed
-there is a direct exit from the terminal to baggage claim

additionally, fis will not open until 2011, and the setup requiring bag drop at TSA after check in is temporary

Last edited by mileageman; Nov 11, 2009 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by spaceflyer
I hope they get "all in one" check in soon... many airports do that.
I assume you are thinking about a situation like at Seattle - security checkpoints are immediately behind the ticketing/check-in desks, and once through the TSA gauntlet, you can walk all the way from the end of A (Delta pre-merger and AA) to D11 (Alaska's farthest gate) and remain airside.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileageman
Not correct. Unless you are going through E (which only about 1/3 of AA flights use), everything is now 100% through the new terminal now, from curb to gate.
My point being the project is still not complete. The full functioning of the north terminal complex is still a ways away. Folks were were thinking that was not the case.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:27 pm

The new setup sucks if you have to fly out of E. There are no kiosks to print a boarding pass from basically C to E. One have to work over to the new security in order to find a machine.

They took out all the screens to view flight info from the parking garage to the gate. No more screens where one comes out from the moving walkway in D to the garage. So one better have email notification in order to know what gate one flies out of. Otherwise, you walk a lot extra before knowing where to go.

The new gate does not have a priority line. You have to walk towards concourse B to get another checkpoint with priority line. So if one is flying out of E or the high D, one is walking the wrong way and have to walk back.

There are no signs anywhere. If you are not familiar with the concourses, you will be totally lost.

The whole setup is mindless. Especially the lack of of kiosks in D or E. I know they are planning to phase out E. But why can't they leave a couple of kiosks until they do.

By the way, I was told they will not allow you to go thru E to connect to D. Not sure if this is true. So if one is flying out of the high number gates in D, one cannot use E as a shorter walk.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by qazw1
The whole setup is mindless. Especially the lack of of kiosks in D or E.
Other than the half-dozen at E 2-11 you mean?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Other than the half-dozen at E 2-11 you mean?
A lot of good that does if you don't have a boarding pass to get thru security.

Which is why the whole setup is so mindless. No kiosks outside of security.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Does anyone have pictures of the old / new Admirals Club in the old A which is now the new D?

Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MAH4546
BA Terraces lounge is undergoing extensive refurbishments and will re-open next year. There already is a new AC in the old A part, it closed shortly after it opened because A closed entirely.
Oh really? When BA Executive Club to be reopened again for next year in 2010, am I correct? So I would likes to see more photos inside new ticket counter space & concourse, too. Next time if you take a photo opportunity inside the concourse & brand new ticket counter space, too. I didn't realization about MIA has alot of the constructions going on. So where new gates to be completion done in year of 2011 timelines.

Also, what about the trains to be ready to operations for every different concourse. So how exactly where international passengers is not to take on the trains to Immigrations, am I correct? How exactly where these passengers will have a long walk to get stretch the legs. It should have good exercise. I can't resist anything about more new terminal & the renovations the entire concourse D will be done. I knows old concourse E to be demolished. It will begin constructions newest gate space to being built.

However, it will take some the times to be demolished old concourse C. So I don't really remember where I visit inside the concourse C since I was little. I can't remember anything in MIA at all. I know my brother who has flown out MIA by 24 years ago. This is where he went to summer camp for weeks. I know where he flown on Eastern Airlines out of MIA by many years ago. Do you really think EA to be reborn? How much longer DOT to get finalization approval to bring newest Eastern Airlines is back on the skies.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Off to MIA tomorrow so i'm looking forward to seeing thee new set up and the FL lounge.

I'm taking the 8am 777 MIA-LAX flight on Saturday morning, can anyone give any indication based on previous experience what gate that flight may leave from? Or just the general part of which terminal?

Thanks

Chris
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by chris78cpr
Off to MIA tomorrow so i'm looking forward to seeing thee new set up and the FL lounge.

I'm taking the 8am 777 MIA-LAX flight on Saturday morning, can anyone give any indication based on previous experience what gate that flight may leave from? Or just the general part of which terminal?

Thanks

Chris
Based on plans for today and actuals from yesterday, these are the gates that 777s have used at MIA. First gate listed for each flight is the gate planned for today. Second gate listed is the actual gate used yesterday.

This may not be a full list of 777 flights out of MIA.

299 (MIA-LAX)
E11
D21

182 (MIA-LHR)
E11
did not operate

56 (MIA-LHR)
E8
E11

909 (MIA-EZE)
D21
E10

943 (MIA-EZE)
E11
D23

907 (MIA-GRU)
E11
E8

995 (MIA-GRU)
E10
D21
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by chris78cpr

Thanks

Chris
I take this flight very often and I can't remember the last time it did not leave from E. Most 777s use E, but with the lower D gates opening, 777s are now showing up at D more often. Not long ago, a 777 was virtually guaranteed to leave from E.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:01 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I take this flight very often and I can't remember the last time it did not leave from E. Most 777s use E, but with the lower D gates opening, 777s are now showing up at D more often. Not long ago, a 777 was virtually guaranteed to leave from E.
To add to this, I can tell you what gates you won't be leaving from! The alley of D29,30, and 37 are too narrow to handle anything larger than a 737 due to the remnants of C. IIRC, D31 and 32 are also hemmed in between E, construction in the D33-41 region, and all of the random luggage sorting stuff... I don't think they put anything other than a 737 or maybe a 757 in there either.

The other thing I was going to mention is that it seems as if gates are moved around at MIA far more than any other hub I've ever been to. The last MIA-TPA keeps flipping between the high D's and low D's. MIA-DCA late afternoon many times leaves from D30/37/38 but then other times I've had D23. I've also experienced more plane swaps/gate swaps at MIA than other places I've been to.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by qazw1
The new setup sucks if you have to fly out of E.
Yes , this is very inconvenient

Not to mention if you arrive in D on a TATL and have to walk to E immigration , with very few moving walkways , totally crazy. They should at least offer buggy service for EXP and F passengers.

Yes yes , I know I am dreaming
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:31 am

They closed down the bank of elevators in D. One can no longer access the parking garage from there. They walled the whole thing in. One have to walk towards the new security gates and then take the walkway back to D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.