Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by PeoDeMIA
We arrived yesterday at D48 and the walk to immigration was embarasingly long--long open hallways, followed by single door passages. I'll miss the low E international arrivals. Will the train help at all with the walk to immigration?
If you look at http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/NTD_Fact_Sheet.pdf you can see the new immigration facilities(FIS) near D-28. The train will not take pax from the gates-terminal.

If the airplane icons on the fact sheet are at all accurate, it appears that widebodies are going to be D16-38 and some in the very low D's. I do know that they have ramps to the customs level in the D30-40 range and possibly higher.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: QF Platinum, ICH RA, HH Silver, Hyatt GP
Anyone Experienced The New AA Terminal in Miami?

Has anyone experienced the new AA Terminal in Miami? Reviews will be much appreciated.

Im particularly interested in incoming international flights and transferring to other international flight or domestic flight.

Does it continue to be chaotic and how long are the lines with the new terminal?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
I didn't know AA had a new MIA terminal.

I'm flying in from LHR and transferring to domestic tomorrow, so I'll try to let you know.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

It's nice, pretty cool. Nothing spectacular about it, however, it sure beats the former set up.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
I know the old baggage claim section is a dungeon. I got my car before I picked up my bag (should have been bags, see other post) and went to where I thought the claim was. There were carousels all right, with no numbers on them and no signs anywhere as to where anything was. I was looking for the baggage office and of course no signs for that either. Finally found it after walking until I ran into something that was marked. Oh yeah, one of the down escalators was broken even though the terminal has only been open a week.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:33 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
I didn't know AA had a new MIA terminal.
AA has been slowly converting their current terminal complex into a sleek, new, single Terminal. A new portion including check-in and security reportedly opened with the past week.

The construction is ongoing, and the terminal won't be complete for a few years, so you could an encounter new portions, old portions, under-construction portions, or all of the above.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Was there this Monday for my weekly commute. The old A curbside dropoff area has been reopend (even though the A gates are still closed). They have tried to make it a drop-off area for First Class and Elites. As you enter, the F and Elite counters are a step away.

The security line was non-existent, I was one of two going through (granted it was 5:30a). However, this was the southermost security area in the airport and you exit to the low (for now) D gates. As my departure gate was D40, it was a bit of a walk. As I walked by the second (main) security area, which is the closest to the regular check-in counters, there was much more activity and a bit of a line.

It is an improvement, although I am sure it will not appease the legions of MIA haters! ;-)
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
OP, this has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. In fact, there is an active (THIS) thread which discusses elements of your question.

To answer your question about lines, it's YMMV. Some days and times are better than others. IMHO, it's absolutely no different than flying through DFW, JFK, IAH, or LAX. Only "issue" is the long walk, although my walk in LHR a couple months ago seemed as long or longer than any MIA walk.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 11, 2009 at 9:17 am Reason: redact recurving URL after thread merge - thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
Hopefully the trains that service the D gates will be operating soon although I was told that would be in April (2010).

I also look forward to the new AC although I've not heard a date for that.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
What new AC? There is the one in D, the old one in E, and the closed (for now) one in A. But I have not heard they plan to open another. I have heard they plan to relocate the Flagship Lounge (currently in E) at some point.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
I should have used the term relocate; I think the AC at E will move to the "old" A perhaps where the BA Terraces Lounge was.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:05 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileHigh
I should have used the term relocate; I think the AC at E will move to the "old" A perhaps where the BA Terraces Lounge was.
The E Club will close. The A club will re-open. The BA club in A will reopen.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
MIA is slowly looking better in the AA terminal. However:

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig
I feel the same way about MIA...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jcjchung
Has anyone experienced the new AA Terminal in Miami? Reviews will be much appreciated.

Im particularly interested in incoming international flights and transferring to other international flight or domestic flight.

Does it continue to be chaotic and how long are the lines with the new terminal?
I arrived today ex-MGA, which as a separate miracle actually left early 10 minutes and arrived 30 minutes early. Right to a gate after a straight in approach, no gate delay, nothing.

From the door of the High-E train to immigration, then customs then through E security into the secure area of the terminal was 16 minutes.

Immigration CBP chap took me to the US/Green Card line which had an empty position when I told him I was travelling on a Canadian passport.

This was still the same old terminal as far as E, High-E and D immigration goes. I saw nothing new. There was a Priority AAcess lane at E, but there were no more than 15 people in steergage line and Priority so it didn't really matter much.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:46 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I arrived today ex-MGA, which as a separate miracle actually left early 10 minutes and arrived 30 minutes early. Right to a gate after a straight in approach, no gate delay, nothing.

From the door of the High-E train to immigration, then customs then through E security into the secure area of the terminal was 16 minutes.

Immigration CBP chap took me to the US/Green Card line which had an empty position when I told him I was travelling on a Canadian passport.

This was still the same old terminal as far as E, High-E and D immigration goes. I saw nothing new. There was a Priority AAcess lane at E, but there were no more than 15 people in steergage line and Priority so it didn't really matter much.
The D FIS facilities will not open until 2010. The only "new" thing at MIA is the check-in areas. The North Terminal Project is ongoing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.