Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
The walk from d22 to the flagship lounge in E was not fun with lots of hand luggage. I did get cart service back though. The nice lady in the FL said they're moving to D "sometime next year".
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I went through the new check in area yesterday expecting something great. Well don't get your hopes up. Yes it looks nice but things were better before. It did seem like there where more self check in machines. The first and business class check in lines were both very long like they were before. I would have hopes that they would have improved this. I waited longer yesterday at 9:20am than i have ever waited in the priority acces line. The other security lines were even much longer. The biggest problem is now you have to walk forever. There are very few gates that are open near the security areas. Most are a very long walk. I left from D47 and arrived in D39. Before the move D39 was fairly close to the exit - not any more. I really hope they will be using the trains soon. they are needed now more than ever.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by sharklover
I went through the new check in area yesterday expecting something great. Well don't get your hopes up. Yes it looks nice but things were better before. It did seem like there where more self check in machines. The first and business class check in lines were both very long like they were before. I would have hopes that they would have improved this. I waited longer yesterday at 9:20am than i have ever waited in the priority acces line. The other security lines were even much longer. The biggest problem is now you have to walk forever. There are very few gates that are open near the security areas. Most are a very long walk. I left from D47 and arrived in D39. Before the move D39 was fairly close to the exit - not any more. I really hope they will be using the trains soon. they are needed now more than ever.
If you are leaving from D47, you may be better off via the E security. I think the walk may be a tad shorter. There is the possible advantage going thru security being easier as the lines at E seems more reasonable. Only problem is no machines at all outside of security. Also, I am not sure there is anyway to check luggage in.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Has the First/Biz Check-in Counter Moved?

Originally Posted by CVCONDE
... old A curbside dropoff area ... They have tried to make it a drop-off area for First Class and Elites. As you enter, the F and Elite counters are a step away.
Just to confirm... the First/Biz Check-in line is now at the easternmost edge of the terminal (old "A")? Or is it in the same place it was a month ago?

I'm traveling through the zoo with my 5-month old on Wednesday and I'm wondering if I need to re-plot my parking strategy to get close to a new first/biz check-in area.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by farrish11
Just to confirm... the First/Biz Check-in line is now at the easternmost edge of the terminal (old "A")? Or is it in the same place it was a month ago?

I'm traveling through the zoo with my 5-month old on Wednesday and I'm wondering if I need to re-plot my parking strategy to get close to a new first/biz check-in area.
Correct. The security entrance there, however, was a total mess last week. There's a priority access line, but the brilliant people working the line would let about 15-20 non-PA people access the line whenever it got short. We had to wait about 10 minutes just to get to the ID checker. There was no PA line available at the other entrance in D.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
So it sounds like if I'm leaving from the E gates, it really doesn't - a dysfunctional PA security line and A long walk, or a shorter walk and a longer line.

(I do curbside checkin so don't need a checkin line).
Old Nov 24, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Correct. The security entrance there, however, was a total mess last week. There's a priority access line, but the brilliant people working the line would let about 15-20 non-PA people access the line whenever it got short. We had to wait about 10 minutes just to get to the ID checker. There was no PA line available at the other entrance in D.
The person working the PA line appears to be AA, as they were standing next to a sizer, and told me that my bag was too thick (correct), but politely suggested I used the zip adjustment to make it thinner.

Rather than compress the bag, and as it fits the overhead locker without a problem, I walked down to the D gate security where I got though without a problem (but it was a long hike back to the FL!).

Is it just the PA line that is policed by someone who may check bag size?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
I'm flying BGI-MIA-LHR on Friday (27th Nov) with a relatively tight connecting time (1hr 55mins) but with no bags. Is traffic normally a little lighter mid way through the holiday weekend? The LHR flight usually leaves from low E - can I still pass through security at E after clearing immigration and is the Priority line still there?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Just went through tonight... what a MESS. I ended up leaving the "priority access" line and moving to the regular line, which was 2 times faster since it had two machines running instead of the one in the PA line.

Amazing, they found a way to make MIA worse! And I am sort of a fan of the airport believe it or not... hope they fix the security mess.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Went through yesterday morning. Asked why no kiosks in the Priority CI area and was told the area where they are going to be is not ready for them, so waited 10 mins in the F line. The J line wait was about 15. Don't even want to think what the non-priority waits were even with kiosks. There the kiosk areas are grouped. There are like 6 different areas with 6 kiosks in each and you just pick one and hope for the best. Have never seen that setup before. After I checked in the GA reminded me of how long my walk was going to be to E21.

Went in the PA line to go through security as it appeared slightly shorter. The person at the front directed me there when seeing my boarding pass, but obviously not everyone as the person in front of me had group 4 and behind me had group 5. My biggest complaint is that the handicapped/extra assistance line feeds into the PA line. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of the line, unless someone coming through that line is PA. There is no merge and the PA line actually feeds into that one after they check IDs. I noticed that the people in that line don't yield to anyone in the PA line regardless of who was there first. On top of that, there was only one X-ray opened, which at one time had three consecutive groups from the assistance line behind each other. The employee line was next door, with no one in it. Luckily, 2 minutes after the TSA person told me, they can't send anyone there, someone saw how backed up our line was, and let some of us over there.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:04 am

I noticed this week that AA added some check-in agents next to security at E. There were also kiosks there, but they looked like they were for baggage handlers use only.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Flew back from MIA last night and was completely frustrated by the entire process. The Priority Access security line fed into the Family/Medical needs security line. Would have been much easier to stand in line with the animals and waited rather than wait for the family's to make it through faster. When I asked TSA why the Priority Line dumped into the Family/Medical needs line, they indicated this was to confuse terrorists. After standing in that line, I would have blown myself apart in the frustration. What a mess!!!!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
New MIA Map

In the mail today I received this strange pamphlet from AA since I had changed my address in my profile. It has a map of MIA in its soon to be completed form:

Sorry about the image quality. Kind of bizarre as it shows C concourse still open. But it does show the location of the new AC in the A pier, as well as where the BA Lounge will be located. It's also missing half of the D gates on the North side. But anyways, the AA.com page still hasn't been updated with this
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Was in Miami and security was a zoo. Apparently they don't open the priority access line until 6am. Got there at 5:30, waited in line 30 mins - was stuck halfway in the security line when the finally opened priority line.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by denCSA
In the mail today I received this strange pamphlet from AA since I had changed my address in my profile. It has a map of MIA in its soon to be completed form ...
Hmmm ... that looks quite like the MIA map available online when I first travelled through MIA in November 2007 ...

... maybe it's an old copy ... does the pamphlet has some small numbers on the front/back near the spine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.