FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1012012-new-miami-mia-check-security-opened-nov-3-2009-a.html)

MAH4546 Oct 30, 2009 5:25 pm

New Miami / MIA check-in, security opened Nov 3 2009

Just a heads up: brand new and drastically improved check-in counter/areas open at MIA on Tuesday, as do two new security screening areas.

All-in-all, 290,000 square feet of space opens on Tuesday, and the train should start running soon, as well, between D49 and D30.

HNL Oct 30, 2009 5:39 pm

here's a link to a map & schedule of the new north terminal complex at MIA for context.
http://www.miami-airport.com/pdfdoc/NTD_Fact_Sheet.pdf

msv777 Oct 30, 2009 7:16 pm

YEAH! I can't wait for the train. Its a long trek from the AC to Gate 42!

JumboD Oct 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Anyone know if they'll have security checkpoints that don't mandate use of the body scanner? I haven't been in MIA since last June and will be traveling there in January. I want desperately to avoid this fourth amendment violation.

aerofreaky Oct 30, 2009 8:01 pm

They can't mandate the actual body imaging. You can opt out. You need to say something though. In fact, there is a sign on it...saying that it is optional.

sharklover Oct 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 12740006)
Just a heads up: brand new and drastically improved check-in counter/areas open at MIA on Tuesday, as do two new security screening areas.

All-in-all, 290,000 square feet of space opens on Tuesday, and the train should start running soon, as well, between D49 and D30.

I cant wait to see this.

whirledtraveler Oct 31, 2009 3:38 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 12740006)

Anyone know where the screening areas will be? The words "improvement" and "MIA" together in the same sentence send shivers down my spine.

mia Oct 31, 2009 4:16 am

MIA's delayed North Terminal to finally open doors

Miami Herald article here...

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/1309096.html

MileHigh Oct 31, 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mvedda (Post 12740435)
YEAH! I can't wait for the train. Its a long trek from the AC to Gate 42!

Try the hike from the AC to D21!

It would be nice if AA would update their website with a new MIA map reflecting the new gates and other changes. The new low D gates have been in use for several weeks but the MIA map doesn't reflect them, it still shows C!

beachfan Oct 31, 2009 1:15 pm

I've been relatively happy with the terminals since my flights always seem to leave from the E gates (MIA-LAX mostly), and while it's a little bit of a walk to baggage claim, it's not to bad.

I suppose it's too much to hope for that this will not make things worse for me.

All I really want is a way to get my luggage cart onto the rental car island without lifting it.

socoast Nov 1, 2009 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by MileHigh (Post 12742087)
Try the hike from the AC to D21!
C!

I just did this hike this morning and it is a trek. I was eyeing the closed Skytrain entrances as I walked and walked and walked.

MileHigh Nov 1, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm on AA 518 MIA-JFK on Tuesday for weekly commute which typically departs from D21. That's quite a hike from the D AC.

As for the trains, I too see the signs up blocking the escalator entrances. I hope they open up soon.

Does anyone know if there'll be an AC in this new section? I think I read that the Flagship Lounge will relocate too...to this new section (North Terminal?).

HNL Nov 1, 2009 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by MileHigh (Post 12749947)
I'm on AA 518 MIA-JFK on Tuesday for weekly commute which typically departs from D21. That's quite a hike from the D AC.

As for the trains, I too see the signs up blocking the escalator entrances. I hope they open up soon.

Does anyone know if there'll be an AC in this new section? I think I read that the Flagship Lounge will relocate too...to this new section (North Terminal?).

AA will reopen the the AC in the old Terminal A, now Low D gates. I'm note sure where the FL will be located.

serfty Nov 1, 2009 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MileHigh (Post 12742087)
Try the hike from the AC to D21! ...

Try the hike from the F/L to D50/D21 ... :eek:

photodave Nov 1, 2009 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 12750239)
Try the hike from the F/L to D50/D21 ... :eek:

Took me about 5 minutes when I did it a couple of times in September. It's really no big deal.