Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
ANA website seat maps
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_common/departure/inflight/seatmap/
2-2-2 or 2-3-2 staggered all isle seats. Photos can be seen below.

FAQ about ANA "BUSINESS STAGGERED"
1. What planes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777-300ER(77W) and 787-900 (789), as well as one type of the B787-8(169 seats variation).
ANA website links on business staggered class is here (77W), (789) and B787-8(169 seats variation).

2. What is the best seat for a solo passenger?
Any of the window seats, odd number rows on the left (1A,3A,5A..), even number rows on the right (2K,4K,6K...)

3. What is the best seat for a couple?
No consensus.

4. I see 1A blocked on the 789 or 787. Is it occupied?
It will be released to all at online check-in (t-24) if not occupied.

5. What routes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777W routes =NRT-JFK,LAX,SFO,ORD,IAD,IAH, & HND-JFK,LAX,ORD,CDG,FRA,LHR
ALL 789 routes (215 seats variation) = HND-SYD,SIN,BKK,HAN,SJC,SEA,YVR,CDG,MUC,DUS,
B787-8(169 seats variation). = NRT-MEX,BRU,DEL,BOM

6. What's up with all this chatter about hot cabins?
The cabin temperature seems to be maintained very warm relative to most westerners' preferences, but it seems to be the preferred temperature for Japanese passengers.
You will survive.

PHOTOS

Post 461 - Seat 3A on the B789 - August 2018 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

5 photos below from Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
From 2 flights on the same trip - May 2017 - posted by 24left

Print Wikipost

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Is the mini cabin hotter (temp wise)? I had a similar experience in the LH mini J cabin last July?
Old May 4, 2013, 4:24 pm

Just changed my seat to 5A from 9A, since it was available. Can I assume it'll stick? Or is this a blocked seat, and mine might get changed?
Old May 4, 2013, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I had a toddler and infant that kept me awake in 5A on the outbound so yes, regardless of the location there could always be distractions though luckily the inbound was smooth & quieter but I like the smaller cabin and can see why others here do as well.
That's actually something to consider... I'm sure whenever ANA does get families in business class, they stick them in the mini-cabin. I know they do this in economy whenever there is a mini-cabin (they've told me that specifically) so they probably do the same in business. There shouldn't be as many families traveling in business, though, but obviously it does happen.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA
@FSUSeminole007

I just flew NH 6 a couple of days ago in 5A and was prepared to be roasting the entire flight (I normally run much warmer than average, fall asleep real quick when the ambient temp is nice and chilly). Instead of changing into lightweight shorts and a t-shirt, I used their pajamas and the duvet. It wasn't cold by any means but it was not warm like it was last year when I took a trip in Y. Wouldn't be able to tell you if there as a difference between the mini and larger cabin as I didn't venture that way. If i can remember, I'll check about that when I fly out next week in 5A again.

Separately, service seemed a little forgetful (or a lot forgetful depending on your relative standards) in the mini-cabin. While i noticed the FAs standing at the back of the mini-cabin quite often and do quick walkthroughs to observe, they didn't seem to observe drinks to be refilled during dinner service, plates to be taken away during the snack service, drinkware to be picked up on final approach, etc. A quick mention (or turn of the head really) brought them over immediately.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by greatmoosy
@FSUSeminole007

I just flew NH 6 a couple of days ago in 5A and was prepared to be roasting the entire flight (I normally run much warmer than average, fall asleep real quick when the ambient temp is nice and chilly). Instead of changing into lightweight shorts and a t-shirt, I used their pajamas and the duvet. It wasn't cold by any means but it was not warm like it was last year when I took a trip in Y. Wouldn't be able to tell you if there as a difference between the mini and larger cabin as I didn't venture that way. If i can remember, I'll check about that when I fly out next week in 5A again.

Separately, service seemed a little forgetful (or a lot forgetful depending on your relative standards) in the mini-cabin. While i noticed the FAs standing at the back of the mini-cabin quite often and do quick walkthroughs to observe, they didn't seem to observe drinks to be refilled during dinner service, plates to be taken away during the snack service, drinkware to be picked up on final approach, etc. A quick mention (or turn of the head really) brought them over immediately.
Thanks for the feedback. You bring up an interesting point on service level, since 5A butts up against FC. I guess, I'll have to take my chances.

Contrary to the level of detail I've asked about on this thread, I am pretty low maintenance (I Swear....well, kinda).
Old May 6, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
Thanks for the feedback. You bring up an interesting point on service level, since 5A butts up against FC. I guess, I'll have to take my chances.

Contrary to the level of detail I've asked about on this thread, I am pretty low maintenance (I Swear....well, kinda).
I don't think service was any worse in mini cabin. I was on the route NRT-SEA with NH before and also found service was very average. I was in 6A, right after the galley if I remember right. Their FAs kept walking pass me several times while I was stuck for more than 30 minutes with my finished meal tray and they did nothing. I had to ask them to remove the tray several times before one actually did. It's a pity because the plane and the seat were nice and I really like their food on board and their lounge. However service was not as great. It didn't help that I had been on an OZ flight just before that one.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by basscadet75
That's actually something to consider... I'm sure whenever ANA does get families in business class, they stick them in the mini-cabin. I know they do this in economy whenever there is a mini-cabin (they've told me that specifically) so they probably do the same in business.
Wow, if that's true, that policy is insane. The mini-cabin is right behind F, so any screaming kids in the mini-cabin could potentially ruin the flight for F passengers.

I believe JAL has the opposite approach. For example, JL notably does not have any bassinets in the J mini-cabin, presumably because crying infants would bother the F passengers who sit only inches away.

On the other hand, on my last JL flight in the J mini-cabin, there was a screaming toddler in F whose screams were audible in J.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:29 pm

How likely are op. seat changes on the 77W? Anyone have an idea. Seats are filling up and I am nervous that 5A is reserved for top ANA elites and I'm going to get bumped.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:18 pm

did you book thru ANA? i only ask because i had booked my travel thru United and, while United typically has to do some sort of electronic request to the ANA servers and wait/hope for confirmation for some seat assignments, if it's within the block of seats that United reserved for a flight, they can instantly confirm the seat assignment without waiting for ANA to confirm. such is how I got 5A both ways without any fuss (also to my surprise since i assumed it would be blocked).

one thing to note re anytime snacks and second meal service that i thought the attendants on both flights didn't explain very well - you have until around 2 hours (NH5 was a firm 2 hour cutoff, NH6 was a fuzzy 1hour and 45 before arrival) before arrival to order either or both snacks and the second meal; the default is that you want neither until you tell them otherwise.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:17 pm

did you book thru ANA? i only ask because i had booked my travel thru United and, while United typically has to do some sort of electronic request to the ANA servers and wait/hope for confirmation for some seat assignments, if it's within the block of seats that United reserved for a flight, they can instantly confirm the seat assignment without waiting for ANA to confirm. such is how I got 5A both ways without any fuss (also to my surprise since i assumed it would be blocked).

one thing to note re anytime snacks and second meal service that i thought the attendants on both flights didn't explain very well - you have until around 2 hours (NH5 was a firm 2 hour cutoff, NH6 was a fuzzy 1hour and 45 before arrival) before arrival to order either or both snacks and the second meal; the default is that you want neither until you tell them otherwise.
Booked through a corporate travel agent- and I assume it was through ANA as I have a separate PNR specifically for my ANA flights.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I have yet to be booted. On both 016 and 205 ticket stock.
The NH PNR means nothing. My AmEx booking is an 016 (UA) ticket but NH has a separate PNR I can't touch til T-24. NH call center can change it for you though.
Old May 15, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I have yet to be booted. On both 016 and 205 ticket stock.
The NH PNR means nothing. My AmEx booking is an 016 (UA) ticket but NH has a separate PNR I can't touch til T-24. NH call center can change it for you though.
Thanks- I was able to snag 5A using my NH PNR and added all of my passport details into my booking using the NH website. So I'm hoping ::fingers crossed:: it will stick.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I just took my NH locator as shown on my UA file and called NH reservations and asked for seat 5A and it was no problem.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I just took my NH locator as shown on my UA file and called NH reservations and asked for seat 5A and it was no problem.
Have they gotten better about that? I used to get about a 50% success rate calling NH reservations, other times they'd push back and say I had to request through UA. I'll try calling them next time, thanks!
Old May 18, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ
From reading the past few posts, it seems that the A and H seats are often blocked by NH. I'm in 10C for my flight on Monday - not a big deal, but would prefer one of the solo window seats. Every single one of them is either full or blocked out while most of the cabin is empty.

Will they appear at OLCI, or do I need to call NH and be persuasive? (assuming they're not all taken of course)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.