Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
ANA website seat maps
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_common/departure/inflight/seatmap/
2-2-2 or 2-3-2 staggered all isle seats. Photos can be seen below.

FAQ about ANA "BUSINESS STAGGERED"
1. What planes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777-300ER(77W) and 787-900 (789), as well as one type of the B787-8(169 seats variation).
ANA website links on business staggered class is here (77W), (789) and B787-8(169 seats variation).

2. What is the best seat for a solo passenger?
Any of the window seats, odd number rows on the left (1A,3A,5A..), even number rows on the right (2K,4K,6K...)

3. What is the best seat for a couple?
No consensus.

4. I see 1A blocked on the 789 or 787. Is it occupied?
It will be released to all at online check-in (t-24) if not occupied.

5. What routes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777W routes =NRT-JFK,LAX,SFO,ORD,IAD,IAH, & HND-JFK,LAX,ORD,CDG,FRA,LHR
ALL 789 routes (215 seats variation) = HND-SYD,SIN,BKK,HAN,SJC,SEA,YVR,CDG,MUC,DUS,
B787-8(169 seats variation). = NRT-MEX,BRU,DEL,BOM

6. What's up with all this chatter about hot cabins?
The cabin temperature seems to be maintained very warm relative to most westerners' preferences, but it seems to be the preferred temperature for Japanese passengers.
You will survive.

PHOTOS

Post 461 - Seat 3A on the B789 - August 2018 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

5 photos below from Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
From 2 flights on the same trip - May 2017 - posted by 24left

Print Wikipost

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by armagebedar
IIRC, you should be able to check the seat map on the ANA website and it should say "Business Cradle" at the top if the flight has the new seats.
Thank you. Good idea.

So some FYI's from my experience just now:

- One cannot view the seat map for a flight on the same day of departure (perhaps within T-24). I could not locate any other information in the reservation or flight status to indicate the seat time. Presumably the easiest thing to do in this case is simply ask at the airport - or wait and see.

- In addition to the "Business Cradle" versus "Business Class" at the top of the seat map, the visuals are good enough to clearly see the old vs new seats directly in the embedded Flash tool for seat selection making things pretty obvious.

And finally, it looks like my return SHA to HND is the old seats. TBD on the outbound NRT to PVG. I've had both old and new in my experience. Can't recall which specific flight numbers featured which seats. Wish we could do away with those "old" C seats intra Asia!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yeah, SHA-HND is operated by a 772 -- they all have the old recliners. China routes with the 767s only have the old product. They keep the Business Cradle for the longer flights.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:57 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
This is my first time on ANA. I have two seat options on 77W J class business staggered. What would you all suggest?

1) Center section where the seat is between two tables or
2) Window single section with table next to window and seat next to aisle.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bchips
Hi all-

I am about to depart for Tokyo in a 777-300ER and found out that ANA changed the seats that I pre-selected. My wife and I were originally were in seats 9A/10A (one in front of the other), but were switched to 9A/9D (window and middle). Is there much privacy in the middle seats from the person next to you (a stranger)? I know the seats have the little desk between seats, but I need to figure out if I'm better off trying to switch seats to two windows one in front of the other.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I realize this might be too late for you but:

I would say the two middle seats are semi-private. If you lean forward you can see each other, there is a permanent partition on the desk, but nothing to stop you from walking between the seats (unlike the 787). That said you are on an airplane, so there's only so much privacy you can expect. Someone getting up to walk around can see every passenger. Hope it worked out for you. I actually wish the center seats were *less* private--its impossible to carry on much of a conversation from one to the other. The only negative I could see on this flight.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Is the 787 with 7 rows in J worth spending 10k extra miles over an exit row Y seat on HND-PEK?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:32 am

Seat won't really matter much for daytime flight IMO... so basically down to service?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Best seating arrangements for a couple on Staggered 787 J

I haven't been on the 787 yet, but by looking at the seat maps, the 787 J Staggered layout seems to have all sorts of problems for couples.

It is 1-2-1 in some rows, and 1-1-1 in others.

The middle section of 1-2-1 seems to have a high privacy divider which would make a conversation annoying, and any sort of physical contact/sharing a dinner/seeing eachother impossible.

The other option seems to be something like having something like 4C/3D, which would let you at least see eachother, and perhaps talk, but still not share a meal or have any physical contact.

I personally prefer a window seat, and my fiancÚ doesn't really care either way (window/aisle) as long as she is near me. Any suggestions on the best seating arrangements?

Is it possible for two people to "share" a seat area when the seatbelt light is off, before sleeping ?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:20 am

Don't think so as if it's anything like the 777 seat the ottoman is really just a hole in the seat in front i.e. you can't sit on it...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:18 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Content deleted
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
77W Mini-cabin/business questions

I'm going to be flying LHR-NRT on the NH 77W in business and noticed that there's a two-row mini-cabin at the front of the business class section. Seatguru notes that the back row of that mini-cabin has a misaligned window, but I was able to reserve seat 5A for this flight.

My question - has anybody flown in the mini-cabin? How is it versus the larger cabin? I would imagine it's quieter, which is nice, but is the service as good? How is the space with regards to the bulkhead? Is there a "best" business class seat on this flight?

Oh, and one more question, since I flew this in F last time and was amazed at the toilet: are the biz class lav's fancy washlets or traditional toilets?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm going to be flying LHR-NRT on the NH 77W in business and noticed that there's a two-row mini-cabin at the front of the business class section. Seatguru notes that the back row of that mini-cabin has a misaligned window, but I was able to reserve seat 5A for this flight.

My question - has anybody flown in the mini-cabin? How is it versus the larger cabin? I would imagine it's quieter, which is nice, but is the service as good? How is the space with regards to the bulkhead? Is there a "best" business class seat on this flight?

Oh, and one more question, since I flew this in F last time and was amazed at the toilet: are the biz class lav's fancy washlets or traditional toilets?
I had to laugh when I saw the word "amazed" applied to a toilet!

Americans love that word and apply it to.....................everything!

The washlets are also in business on the 787. I believe they are in all F/C toilets with the updated cabins - including 77W. The "stream" is very weak, to the point of almost being non-existent. And you get about 5 seconds of water. If you want more, you have to stand up, sit back down, and press the button again.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I had to laugh when I saw the word "amazed" applied to a toilet!

Americans love that word and apply it to.....................everything!

The washlets are also in business on the 787. I believe they are in all F/C toilets with the updated cabins - including 77W. The "stream" is very weak, to the point of almost being non-existent. And you get about 5 seconds of water. If you want more, you have to stand up, sit back down, and press the button again.
The two forward cabin F toilets on the 77W aren't weak and the pressure can be adjusted. Additionally, they don't turn off until you hit the square "stop" button.

They are certainly "amazing" compared to anything on a domestic American carrier.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by steveholt

I flew this seat SFO - NRT in March and very much enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it as the location right behind F and the smaller cabin do both help make this a quieter mini-cabin. I found the service amazing and the hard product quite comfortable.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:19 am

so the question is, is the row 6, even in front of the lavatory and have misaligned window, better than main business cabin (such as row 8?)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by anchor79
so the question is, is the row 6, even in front of the lavatory and have misaligned window, better than main business cabin (such as row 8?)
IMHO yes as it's still within the mini-cabin that is normally a little more quiet than main cabin and is more preferred for that reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.