Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just double checking since I've never been in a position to use status for a free same day change before, the SDC window starts when check-in opens the day before your flight, not midnight the day of your flight flight? I'm using my AA status here but I'm assuming that part's the same as if I had AS status.

I'm looking at booking a cheaper morning flight and then trying to SDC to the flight I actually want later in the day, and the morning flight would require getting up earlier than I normally do, so I want to make sure I'll be able to know for sure before I go to bed the night before what time I need to get up.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Just double checking since I've never been in a position to use status for a free same day change before, the SDC window starts when check-in opens the day before your flight, not midnight the day of your flight flight? I'm using my AA status here but I'm assuming that part's the same as if I had AS status.

I'm looking at booking a cheaper morning flight and then trying to SDC to the flight I actually want later in the day, and the morning flight would require getting up earlier than I normally do, so I want to make sure I'll be able to know for sure before I go to bed the night before what time I need to get up.
The option to do a SDC is part of the OLCI process, 24 hours before flight time. You will see the option for earlier or later flights. Simply click later flights and options will be presented, if there any with availability. Make your selection.

SDC is available to anyone, the fee is waived for higher Tier Elites. You don't say what you AA status is.

Once completed, you will be on the chosen flight and you will have to wait until 24 hours before the new flight to check-in. A SDC will reset the time on the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade (assuming no more than 2 pax on the PNR for AA Platinum Pro or higher, just yourself otherwise) so you would be lower than other AA Elites that purchased the same fare class after you.

James
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The option to do a SDC is part of the OLCI process, 24 hours before flight time. You will see the option for earlier or later flights. Simply click later flights and options will be presented, if there any with availability. Make your selection.

SDC is available to anyone, the fee is waived for higher Tier Elites. You don't say what you AA status is.

Once completed, you will be on the chosen flight and you will have to wait until 24 hours before the new flight to check-in. A SDC will reset the time on the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade (assuming no more than 2 pax on the PNR for AA Platinum Pro or higher, just yourself otherwise) so you would be lower than other AA Elites that purchased the same fare class after you.

James
My bad, it's in my profile on the left but I see that's not visible on mobile; I'm Plat Pro and will be Exec Plat by the time of this trip. And the flight is LAX-SJC on a Embraer ERJ 175 so honestly any seat I wind up in is fine given there's no middle seats and it's such a short flight.

One other thing, when I SDC do I earn mileage based on the original fare class or the new fare class?

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Jan 22, 2023 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad, it's in my profile on the left but I see that's not visible on mobile; I'm Plat Pro and will be Exec Plat by the time of this trip. And the flight is LAX-SJC on a Embraer ERJ 175 so honestly any seat I wind up in is fine given there's no middle seats and it's such a short flight.

One other thing, when I SDC do I earn mileage based on the original fare class or the new fare class?
Your ticketed fare class doesn't change with an SDC, so you earn based on your originally purchased fare class. You should get added to the upgrade list as for any booked flight and are eligible for upgrades that don't earn you any more EQM or RDM but give you a nicer seat and maybe better food.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

For a SDC on AS, there need only be a seat available, booking class is irrelevant. You may notice that after a SDC, the new ticket will show booking class Y. That is just a placeholder. The earnings will be based on the underlying fare class purchased on the original ticket.

James
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by remyjette
https://www.aerolopa.com/as-embraer-175 has a pretty accurate diagram of where the windows are relative to the seats. If you have no status, then you'll want to be in the back of the plane in row 20 or 21 for a more accurately aligned window
Thanks! That is a helpful diagram. Not sure why more seat review websites don't have the window alignments!

We will claim a seat a little farther back in the plane to get a bit of a window view.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Greetings,

Don't wanna create a new one, but AS435 is schedule for 2 hrs delay 1/24/23... Any reason why ? it is impacting my destination ...
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by ccna101
greetings,

don't wanna create a new one, but as435 is schedule for 2 hrs delay 1/24/23... Any reason why ? It is impacting my destination ...
schedule actual delay/cancel arrival
city arrv dept arrv dept codes gate
iad orig 515p
sfo 830p term

3iad/etd0750p 2.35l due late arrival *1015
2sfo/eta1029p 1.59l projected *1015
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Greetings,

Don't wanna create a new one, but AS435 is schedule for 2 hrs delay 1/24/23... Any reason why ? it is impacting my destination ...
What I'm seeing is
3IAD/ETD0750P 2.35L DUE LATE ARRIVAL *1015
2SFO/ETA1029P 1.59L PROJECTED *1015
Looking at the flight schedule for N929VA, looks like the plane was in the wrong place and they needed to squeeze another flight in:

24 Jan 2023 IAD-SFO AS435 — 5:15 PM — 8:30 PM Estimated departure 7:50 PM
24 Jan 2023 LAX-IAD AS310 — 8:25 AM — 4:15 PM Estimated departure 10:50 AM
24 Jan 2023 SFO-LAX AS1308 — 8:10 AM — 9:50 AM Estimated departure 8:10 AM

My guess is, something else happened with the originally planned plane, and the best option they had was to use N929VA. Unfortunately it wouldn't be in LAX in time for AS310's originally scheduled departure, so that flight and yours got delayed.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Talking

Originally Posted by remyjette
What I'm seeing is

Looking at the flight schedule for N929VA, looks like the plane was in the wrong place and they needed to squeeze another flight in:

24 Jan 2023 IAD-SFO AS435 — 5:15 PM — 8:30 PM Estimated departure 7:50 PM
24 Jan 2023 LAX-IAD AS310 — 8:25 AM — 4:15 PM Estimated departure 10:50 AM
24 Jan 2023 SFO-LAX AS1308 — 8:10 AM — 9:50 AM Estimated departure 8:10 AM

My guess is, something else happened with the originally planned plane, and the best option they had was to use N929VA. Unfortunately it wouldn't be in LAX in time for AS310's originally scheduled departure, so that flight and yours got delayed.
That is wonderful that you guy got all figure out !!!

It that mean I am stuck at the delay with no Comp here? it obviously not the weather ...
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
That is wonderful that you guy got all figure out !!!

It that mean I am stuck at the delay with no Comp here? it obviously not the weather ...
You can certainly try calling, but the policy is the meal voucher + miles/discount compensation are only for flights delayed by 3 hours or more. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...ent-delay-care
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, DL Silver, ex-Marriott Platinum
I experienced a glitch where all third-party bookings (booked via Expedia) that included my middle name were sent to Alaska like so: FirstNameMiddleName LastName, rather than FirstName MiddleName LastName. I know that this happens with other airlines (including AS flights booked via BA), but the interesting thing was that this time, because the submitted name from the OTA was different than the name on my AS Mileage Plan account, my AS Mileage Plan number never got added to the reservation, and it wasn't possible to add my AS Mileage Plan number online on Alaska's website.

I called in to customer service and they were able to manually add it, but when I asked if this was something that AS could fix, the agent replied that all AS customers booking through an OTA *would have to call in* every single time that this happens to have their AS Mileage Plan number added to the reservation.

This seems super sketchy to me, as all my OTA bookings in the past on AS have credited properly.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this really normal, like the AS customer service agent said?

It seems so strange that all OTA bookings wouldn't earn any base miles/RDM on AS without having to call in. I've never heard of that happening with any airline.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by creditcardmarauder
I experienced a glitch where all third-party bookings (booked via Expedia) that included my middle name were sent to Alaska like so: FirstNameMiddleName LastName, rather than FirstName MiddleName LastName. I know that this happens with other airlines (including AS flights booked via BA), but the interesting thing was that this time, because the submitted name from the OTA was different than the name on my AS Mileage Plan account, my AS Mileage Plan number never got added to the reservation, and it wasn't possible to add my AS Mileage Plan number online on Alaska's website.
I called in to customer service and they were able to manually add it, but when I asked if this was something that AS could fix, the agent replied that all AS customers booking through an OTA *would have to call in* every single time that this happens to have their AS Mileage Plan number added to the reservation.
This seems super sketchy to me, as all my OTA bookings in the past on AS have credited properly.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this really normal, like the AS customer service agent said?
It seems so strange that all OTA bookings wouldn't earn any base miles/RDM on AS without having to call in. I've never heard of that happening with any airline.
Not sure if this is the same thing as your experience, but I stopped using our company travel portal to book my flights and now book direct as AS no longer will let me make any changes to the ticket because I do not "own" the ticket, the agency that books the flight does. (I still got the miles though). I also noted that the company portal (an AMEX entity) no longer books hotels directly, they use booking.com and we no longer get points when booking with them, so I now only book rental cars through the company travel portal.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Your ticketed fare class doesn't change with an SDC, so you earn based on your originally purchased fare class. You should get added to the upgrade list as for any booked flight and are eligible for upgrades that don't earn you any more EQM or RDM but give you a nicer seat and maybe better food.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For a SDC on AS, there need only be a seat available, booking class is irrelevant. You may notice that after a SDC, the new ticket will show booking class Y. That is just a placeholder. The earnings will be based on the underlying fare class purchased on the original ticket.

James
Thanks for the help guys!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Premium Upgrade

Hi,
I’m a complete noobie with AS and hoping to check my thoughts on Premium Class upgrade.

I am BAEC Silver so Oneworld Sapphire and made a rewards booking through BA. Flights are AUS-SEA. I’ve been able to select exit row seat in elite section at no extra cost.
I’m being offered an upgrade to Premium class for $75 which I’m kinda tempted to do, but I’m not sure it will give me much benefit?? Possible slightly more leg room?? As I understand it, I will be able to get beverage and early boarding??
And a separate q on food. What are likely to be my best options if I want to get something to eat?

thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.