Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:14 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can also change your itinerary, revenue or award, via the APP. When looking at your reservations, touch the 3 vertical dots on the top right of the itinerary. Change reservation & Cancel reservation are options.

James
On the APP I do see three dots, but they are horizontal. And when I click on it I don't see an option to Change Reservation. I checked and my APP version is up to date, so I'm not sure why I don't see this options. No matter, I can use the website, or more likely a phone rep, when the time comes.
JJonahJ is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:35 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,263
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
On the APP I do see three dots, but they are horizontal. And when I click on it I don't see an option to Change Reservation. I checked and my APP version is up to date, so I'm not sure why I don't see this options. No matter, I can use the website, or more likely a phone rep, when the time comes.
I am using Android.


Trips in the Alaska Airlines APP, Android.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:46 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am using Android.
Trips in the Alaska Airlines APP, Android.

James
Thanks for the pic. Seeing is believing! I am using the iOS app and I only see 3 horizontal dots.
JJonahJ is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:23 am
  #184  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,849
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Thanks for the pic. Seeing is believing! I am using the iOS app and I only see 3 horizontal dots.
It works the same way on ios. This is on an ios app. Just click on the three horizontal dots.
Finkface is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:31 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,408
Originally Posted by Finkface
It works the same way on ios. This is on an ios app. Just click on the three horizontal dots.
Oh geesh. I dont know whats wrong with me. I do see the options when clicking on the 3 horizontal dots now. I mustve been in a mind warp earlier when I tried. Thanks for opening my eyes.
JJonahJ is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:35 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by devine.sparkles
Do you get more miles for taking main vs saver? Similarly, do you get more miles for first class vs saver/main? I don't see it described anywhere, so I figure the answer is no.

I also have the same question regarding partner airlines: are there bonuses for taking partners and booking through Alaska? I'm a bit new to how all this works, so instead of writing a whole long answer, feel free to link me to other places that describe it. I may have follow up questions.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help!
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Even more important for earning than cabin is "fare code", but they correlate generally with the cabin. See the chart here for earnings: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska

"X" corresponds to saver. There's other charts outlining earning rates for each of their partners, too.
Check the partner earning charts too: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...dID:MPPartners

A few quick things: understand the difference between RDM and EQM. If you're trying for status make sure you're checking EQM earning rates, esp on partner airlines. As a general rule of thumb you'll always earn 100% miles flown on AS metal or more (125-200% if purchasing a ticket in First Class or an expensive Main Cabin fare depending on the fare code). You'll see fare code when selecting flights and checking out.

PS: Welcome to FlyerTalk!
ssk244 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:06 pm
  #187  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Even more important for earning than cabin is "fare code", but they correlate generally with the cabin. See the chart here for earnings:

"X" corresponds to saver. There's other charts outlining earning rates for each of their partners, too.
Originally Posted by ssk244
Check the partner earning charts too:

A few quick things: understand the difference between RDM and EQM. If you're trying for status make sure you're checking EQM earning rates, esp on partner airlines. As a general rule of thumb you'll always earn 100% miles flown on AS metal or more (125-200% if purchasing a ticket in First Class or an expensive Main Cabin fare depending on the fare code). You'll see fare code when selecting flights and checking out.

PS: Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Thanks for the details, you two! I had to delete the links you had in the quotations because I'm not allowed to post links until I have 5 posts, lol.

One more question, on the left column, what does the "Flight ranges" refer to?

I think I'm starting to understand a little what's happening under the hood, here. I needed to look up RDM and EQM, though. I will play around with the website to try and better understand this!

Last edited by devine.sparkles; Mar 3, 2023 at 12:11 pm
devine.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:26 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS
Posts: 2,298
Originally Posted by devine.sparkles
Thanks for the details, you two! I had to delete the links you had in the quotations because I'm not allowed to post links until I have 5 posts, lol.

One more question, on the left column, what does the "Flight ranges" refer to?

I think I'm starting to understand a little what's happening under the hood, here. I needed to look up RDM and EQM, though. I will play around with the website to try and better understand this!
Flight Ranges refers to Flight Number of your reservation.
ie: AS 1266
pcoll is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:23 pm
  #189  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 509
Award Cancel

I cant seem to find the answer to this but how late can I cancel an award partner booking. For example, if I book lax-sin on Singapore with my AS miles, how late before departure can I cancel and get a refund on points and fees (minus partner booking fee)? Is it departure time? I know at SQ its 40 mins before departure to not get charred with the no show fee.

thank you!
ManFactSpendLA is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:02 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 516
I use Alaska mile to book an award ticket with a stop over in Japan for 2 passengers . I see that Alaska website has an option for passengers to make changes in his / her itinerary . I have never made changes on partner award ticket before . I would like advise for the following:

1) Need guidance in detail how to make changes without loosing the business seats which I already booked originally.

2) When I make the changes online ( from stop over to non stop at HND airport) , if things does not go thru, will I loose the current seat I already booked ( with Japan Airline). I am not sure whether I will get any refund back since the stop over cost more per ticket vs non stop.

3) Do I pay another partner bookign fee if my ticket is changed to a new date (with same departure airport and arrival airport). My original booking shows departure date is on October 2023, and I want to change my departure date to Januaray 2024.

4) Do I pay any partner ticket change fee or rebooking fee

5) Since Alaska website display a lot of phantom availability, I am not sure the availability I see on January is real or not, should I go ahead to do the changes myself or it is best to contact Customer service and ask them to make the changes on my behalf .

I am afraid that If I do not know how to do correctly, I will loose the secured business award ticket with Japan Airline

Please advise and thank you.
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:21 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 3
Hi,

I was reading the Mileage Run thread, and was curious. How do folks find good flights for Mileage Runs? Someone was saying they only buy if a price is under some cents per mile, like 6 or something. Someone apparently found flights that were 2 CPM. I was impressed with some of what folks were doing. Wow!

Thanks in advance for your tips

Last edited by devine.sparkles; Mar 6, 2023 at 2:45 pm
devine.sparkles is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:52 pm
  #192  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Posts: 16,928
Originally Posted by devine.sparkles
Hi,

I was reading the Mileage Run thread, and was curious. How do folks find good flights for Mileage Runs? Someone was saying they only buy if a price is under some cents per mile, like 6 or something. Someone apparently found flights that were 2 CPM. I was impressed with some of what folks were doing. Wow!

Thanks in advance for your tips
A lot of trial and error, and time on Google Flights and the ITA Matrix.

I got 2 cpm right before the pandemic when they had the BOGO sale (and it coded as 50% off) so I did JFK to the west coast and back a couple of times at around $150 RT on saver. Those days are long gone

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:01 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I use Alaska mile to book an award ticket with a stop over in Japan for 2 passengers . I see that Alaska website has an option for passengers to make changes in his / her itinerary . I have never made changes on partner award ticket before . I would like advise for the following:

1) Need guidance in detail how to make changes without loosing the business seats which I already booked originally.

2) When I make the changes online ( from stop over to non stop at HND airport) , if things does not go thru, will I loose the current seat I already booked ( with Japan Airline). I am not sure whether I will get any refund back since the stop over cost more per ticket vs non stop.

3) Do I pay another partner bookign fee if my ticket is changed to a new date (with same departure airport and arrival airport). My original booking shows departure date is on October 2023, and I want to change my departure date to Januaray 2024.

4) Do I pay any partner ticket change fee or rebooking fee

5) Since Alaska website display a lot of phantom availability, I am not sure the availability I see on January is real or not, should I go ahead to do the changes myself or it is best to contact Customer service and ask them to make the changes on my behalf .

I am afraid that If I do not know how to do correctly, I will loose the secured business award ticket with Japan Airline

Please advise and thank you.
Check the dedicated JAL Award Thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ad-2023-a.html
ssk244 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:28 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 2,564
does the AS SEA N lounge have a shower? does it need to be reserved in advance?

Last edited by psychtobe; Mar 6, 2023 at 6:42 pm
psychtobe is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:00 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by psychtobe
does the AS SEA N lounge have a shower? does it need to be reserved in advance?
No. I don't think I've ever seen a shower in any AS Lounge
ssk244 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.