Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by OnePassLover
I was able to price sfo-hnd-bkk F,J with stopover for 100K. Note that for both JL & CX, stopover more than 2 weeks not allowed (at least currently on the website) anymore from my experience. You have to keep the stopover within 2 weeks to be bookable online.

Did you book it? I found similar but it errors out likely due to phantom space.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by olouie
Did you book it? I found similar but it errors out likely due to phantom space.
Was it a simple 2 segment JAL award with a stopover at the same airport in TYO of less than 14 days and no AS segments, or something else?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Was it a simple 2 segment JAL award with a stopover at the same airport in TYO of less than 14 days and no AS segments, or something else?
Yep just a simple JAL award from Sfo - Tyo - bkk with a short few hours in HND.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:35 am

Just tried and was able to ticket the award online.

Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting, I tried using dates that had showed individual ability but when I did the multi-city it errored out. Was your ticket 100k?

Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Just tried and was able to ticket the award online.

Old Apr 2, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
How do I see meal selection on BKK-KIX and KIX-LAX? I'm in biz booked through AS but the JAL website cannot find my reservation. There is no place to enter my JL PNR or ticket#.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:44 am

Adding a JL segment to existing itinerary (end of booking window)

Thanks so much for all the info shared in this thread in regards to booking at the outer reaches of calendar availability.

Because of the married/divorced segment bug/issue described above, I was unable to book my complete one-way BKK-PDX itinerary when the AS availability window opened up. I could find each segment individually (both on BA and AS websites), but I couldn't book all segments married together as a single award redemption.

So I went ahead and booked the main HND-SFO trans-pacific segment as well as the connecting segment back to PDX, assuming that I could add BKK-HND within a few days after outside of the bug/issue window (which according to my testing is about 2 days).

It's only been 1 day but I just spoke with an agent (this is a Sunday at 10am) who told me that they CANNOT add a segment as described unless the ENTIRE end-to-end itinerary shows current availability. In other words, it doesn't matter than I'm already holding HND-SFO and SFO-PDX, she's saying there would need to be additional availability on those segments as well in order to book BKK-HND.

Does anybody know if this is true? It doesn't sound right. I'm guessing/hoping I just need another day or two to get out of the bug window...but still, what she told me was concerning. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the detailed info shared here.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by rxgeek
How do I see meal selection on BKK-KIX and KIX-LAX? I'm in biz booked through AS but the JAL website cannot find my reservation. There is no place to enter my JL PNR or ticket#.
on the JL site find manage my booking. Then you should be able to enter the pnr and choose seat and meals - if you can't do that there might be a problem with your ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Last Minute JL F Award SFO/JFK to HND

If anyone is interested JAL just released F award space on 7 APR from SFO or JFK to HND (85K and 100K respectively).

Just sayin...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
estnet and alexsmichaels like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 11:41 pm

Currently have HND-SIN booked in J for 25K pre-devaluation. Anyone know how many miles it would take to add SFO-HND in J (or F)? Is my ticket treated with a value of 25K or 50K?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by alexsmichaels
Currently have HND-SIN booked in J for 25K pre-devaluation. Anyone know how many miles it would take to add SFO-HND in J (or F)? Is my ticket treated with a value of 25K or 50K?
Treated with 25k value.
alexsmichaels likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is an interesting question where the outcome might be on a case by case basis. A quick search found SFO-NRT-SIN in J for 100K on 5 and 6 April (tomorrow and the day after). The SFO-NRT J leg can be got for 60K. It will be cheaper, and surely fewer headaches, to just book a separate ticket to HND.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by alexsmichaels
You paid 25k. Your ticket is worth 25k. If you cancel you will get 25k refunded. If you change (like add SFO-HND), the 25k you have already paid is applied to the new ticket. So, if you rebook to add SFO-HND the new itinerary will be priced at the new rate with a 25k credit for what you have already paid.

AS seems to have gone off the rails and is charging 100k in JL J US-SIN, maybe to match SQ? The short side of the story is, if AS is really charging so much more for new pricing on that route you might be better off to just keep your existing HND-SIN and book a new SFO-HND in J or F to connect to it (or get a stopover in TYO). I did not find an example of an F fare to SIN so I cannot say what that pricing is but BKK-US is 100k in F so it would be a minimum of that, but since J is already 100k to SIN I have got to imagine F is more.
Sandeep1 and alexsmichaels like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You paid 25k. Your ticket is worth 25k. If you cancel you will get 25k refunded. If you change (like add SFO-HND), the 25k you have already paid is applied to the new ticket. So, if you rebook to add SFO-HND the new itinerary will be priced at the new rate with a 25k credit for what you have already paid.

AS seems to have gone off the rails and is charging 100k in JL J US-SIN, maybe to match SQ? The short side of the story is, if AS is really charging so much more for new pricing on that route you might be better off to just keep your existing HND-SIN and book a new SFO-HND in J or F to connect to it (or get a stopover in TYO). I did not find an example of an F fare to SIN so I cannot say what that pricing is but BKK-US is 100k in F so it would be a minimum of that, but since J is already 100k to SIN I have got to imagine F is more.
If they are indeed trying to match SQ, it's short-sighted. It's obviously insanely easier to earn SQ miles than AS miles. So I have no problem paying whatever SQ asks, but AS I'll have to cut off at some point, probably fairly soon once I burn through my remaining miles.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by rxgeek
​​​​​​I found my reservation by Not logging in. Evidently, the reservation is not linked to my JAL profile. Anyway, I'm not picking a special meal on the BKk-KIX leg and requested the beef out of KIX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.