Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc
Intresting now they serve Salon ex JFK. Or it's been always the case?

edit: I now see you were talking about return, my bad.

Ex LAX, SFO and ORD, their menus showed and confirmed with FAs that Salon was available ex JP only, though I've never departed from JFK on JL. Ex ORD in December, they served Billecart Salmon Cuve Nicolas Franois 2007, ans ex LAX in June, they served Louis Roederer Cristal 2014. I think it was same in July, I guess that's why I didn't make a note.

I don't recall PDBs on any of JL flights last year. Their disposable wet towels were disappointing, they were slightly bigger than what we'd get in J 🤣, but we could get almost same thing for free from convenience stores in Japan....

I found 75k to and from SE Asia was fine, but rather forgettable experience for me. For example, the catering has been great, but they've never been better than restaurants on the ground, including inexpensive items like yakitori, noodle soups, don with kara'age, etc. Same with sushi at F lounges at TYO airports. With the new award pricing, I'll be just fine in J. I'm happy that I've been able to sample their F before deval, but there's no way I'd pay retail for it, even after winning a lottery.
I just completed a journey from LAX to HND in F connecting HND to BKK in C and must say that the service and experience for a measly 75K miles was extraordinary. Crew on both flights was fantastic. The F segment was 8/8 full and still I had what seamed liked unlimited pours of the Billecart Salmon Cuve 2008 which was delicious. The strange thing was having selected the western meal I was served everything listed on the menu...ugh... way to much food, but thats why we play the game? I consider this a tie. I was extremely satisfied with what they served, but full to the point of not being able to enjoy desert or choco pieces after. They did offer a caviar plate later in the flight with the waffle pieces and smoked salmon w/cream cheese(?) which I actually liked better than the traditional eggy weggy sides. The lounge experience was awesome; fresh sushi and decent JAL curry followed by a trip upstairs to the JAL Salon for a glass of Yamazaki 12...yum. The onward flight was nice and trhe crew were wonderful. japanese breakfast served 2 hrs before landing was just ok, but based on my experiences on other airlines quite decent.

75K for this...yeah great value. For 100K or whatever the new price is using ASMP...well ok then, I'm in. Not happy about the price increase, but still worth it. The problem is finding availibility and with recent AS route changes, finding value in AS bookings that would create another opportunity going forward is the current challange as my home dep airport is better suited for UAL considering the US destinations I travel to.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
BeeNYC and alexsmichaels like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by skier464
We did the same thing. I checked my reservation on the JAL site and it says skier464 (traveling with mini skier464). When i put the PNR with her name nothign comes up. Try that.

Side note that was one expensive ... infant fare... coming out of her college fund
Originally Posted by Thichbay
Yes it is normal. You just see an baby face associated with your seat (try your PNR and see)
Thanks both. I checked but can't see my infant's name under the reservation nor the baby fact associated with the seat. The only thing I can see is under food selection, it states adult 1: Baby food.

I see that Japan Airlines has charged my credit card and they sent me a PDF file for the infant ticket with a ticket number starting in 131, I take it that should be sufficient to show my son has a confirmed ticket for the flight?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by glasszon
Thanks both. I checked but can't see my infant's name under the reservation nor the baby fact associated with the seat. The only thing I can see is under food selection, it states adult 1: Baby food.

I see that Japan Airlines has charged my credit card and they sent me a PDF file for the infant ticket with a ticket number starting in 131, I take it that should be sufficient to show my son has a confirmed ticket for the flight?
You can go to Jal website, search for your exact flight, then pull up the seatmap. You should see a baby face at your seat. (You won't see any baby face when you pull up your PNR)
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by cyborg
The strange thing was having selected the western meal I was served everything listed on the menu...ugh... way to much food, but thats why we play the game? I consider this a tie. I was extremely satisfied with what they served, but full to the point of not being able to enjoy desert or choco pieces after. They did offer a caviar plate later in the flight with the waffle pieces and smoked salmon w/cream cheese(?) which I actually liked better than the traditional eggy weggy sides. The lounge experience was awesome; fresh sushi and decent JAL curry followed by a trip upstairs to the JAL Salon for a glass of Yamazaki 12...yum. The onward flight was nice and trhe crew were wonderful. japanese breakfast served 2 hrs before landing was just ok, but based on my experiences on other airlines quite decent.

finding value in AS bookings that would create another opportunity going forward is the current challange as my home dep airport is better suited for UAL considering the US destinations I travel to.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I looked at Western menu, I see both fish and meat listed under main on separated lines, but I don't see any words 'and/or' in between. I guess they give you both unless you specify?

I've never tried their complete Western menu on JL. JP menu is a full course (sure you can remove items you don't like, but they give you everything listed on menu by default), they bring food 5-6 times. I always come with an empty stomach, so the portion isn't too big for me, but I can see for average person, they may not be able to eat everything. When I'm in F, I have no hesitation asking to customize my meals and their schedule even if they aren't proactively asked. For example, I often see caviar as an appy for Western, I'd ask them if I could have it before I start my JP course, it's been always granted. Or when I'm sleepy when departing, we'd agree with something like I wouldn't have meal for a few hours, but I'd give them half an notice when I'm ready.

Yes, they serve waffles instead of blinis with caviar. I find DIY waffles at Days Inn 😅 better than their cold waffles, or if they can't serve them hot, I'd appreciate if they served chewy Lige style waffles instead.

I always love their sake selections, I often end up not having enough room to try other drinks.

I criticize their catering both on air and ground here and there, but I have to say they're a notch or 2 above CX, and I found extra 5k well worth it, because I've only flown CX F pre covid. When dim sum in F is a lot worse than $3 a plate joints, and a la carte food at lounges taste like just served from buffet (it's Sodexo, right?), as old saying goes what you pay is what you get.

Another annoying development with AS is that they've removed lounge access except for long haul F last winter. While nothing fancy, their lounges are pretty good for US J lounges, and I always liked their awesome craft beers and barista made coffee (at their flagship lounge at SEA, screaming Seattle character), they'll be greatly missed when I book E(F) award space to connect with partners.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cyborg
I just completed a journey from LAX to HND in F connecting HND to BKK in C and must say that the service and experience for a measly 75K miles was extraordinary. Crew on both flights was fantastic. The F segment was 8/8 full and still I had what seamed liked unlimited pours of the Billecart Salmon Cuve 2008 which was delicious. The strange thing was having selected the western meal I was served everything listed on the menu...ugh... way to much food, but thats why we play the game? I consider this a tie. I was extremely satisfied with what they served, but full to the point of not being able to enjoy desert or choco pieces after. They did offer a caviar plate later in the flight with the waffle pieces and smoked salmon w/cream cheese(?) which I actually liked better than the traditional eggy weggy sides. The lounge experience was awesome; fresh sushi and decent JAL curry followed by a trip upstairs to the JAL Salon for a glass of Yamazaki 12...yum. The onward flight was nice and trhe crew were wonderful. japanese breakfast served 2 hrs before landing was just ok, but based on my experiences on other airlines quite decent.

75K for this...yeah great value. For 100K or whatever the new price is using ASMP...well ok then, I'm in. Not happy about the price increase, but still worth it. The problem is finding availibility and with recent AS route changes, finding value in AS bookings that would create another opportunity going forward is the current challange as my home dep airport is better suited for UAL considering the US destinations I travel to.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I recently (3/2023) flew from SFO-HND in F, then HND-BKK in coach as well. 75k is great. 100k is ok. I don't think I'd pay 100k.
Billecart Salmon Cuve 2008 is fine, but a notable cost cutting move from the Cristal 2013 that was previously offered on ex-USA flights.
I found the waffles served with the caviar hard and stale. They're the same waffles served with the fried chicken and waffles.

The F lounge food was not as good as the last few times I've been. I found Nigiri options were limited, only one fish was available. I forget which. Covid cost cutting, I guess.
Upstairs in the Salon, I found Hibiki Blender's choice to be very good. It was also available on the SFO-HND flight.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
I recently (3/2023) flew from SFO-HND in F, then HND-BKK in coach as well. 75k is great. 100k is ok. I don't think I'd pay 100k.
Billecart Salmon Cuve 2008 is fine, but a notable cost cutting move from the Cristal 2013 that was previously offered on ex-USA flights.
I found the waffles served with the caviar hard and stale. They're the same waffles served with the fried chicken and waffles.

The F lounge food was not as good as the last few times I've been. I found Nigiri options were limited, only one fish was available. I forget which. Covid cost cutting, I guess.
Upstairs in the Salon, I found Hibiki Blender's choice to be very good. It was also available on the SFO-HND flight.
Odd, constant change I guess, 2 months ago 3 choices of nigri and the Salon area was closed.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Thichbay
You can go to Jal website, search for your exact flight, then pull up the seatmap. You should see a baby face at your seat. (You won't see any baby face when you pull up your PNR)
That worked! Thanks Thichbay.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Does anyone have experience booking award on AS-JL flights with an infant? Currently I booked both adults, do I need to call AS to add the infant to the JL leg or call JL to do that?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Does anyone have experience booking award on AS-JL flights with an infant? Currently I booked both adults, do I need to call AS to add the infant to the JL leg or call JL to do that?
call JL
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I just did this a few months ago for our flights in June. Easiest process yet for an Alaska award booking trying to add an infant. It does take about 2-3 hours on the phone though so be ready.. most of it is hold time while they add the ticket.

Also be ready for sticker shock. Our flights are ORD-HND stop 3 days NRT-CGK then SIN-HND stop 2 days HND-ORD in business. Was $1200 to add the infant
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:22 am

ORD-HND nonstop award inventory really dried up. Currently booked with a stop in SFO, was hoping to change that to a direct T-14 but doesn't look like I'm going to be able to. Bummer!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
ORD-HND nonstop award inventory really dried up. Currently booked with a stop in SFO, was hoping to change that to a direct T-14 but doesn't look like I'm going to be able to. Bummer!
For some reason the T-14 availability has been unusually limited lately....hopefully this is temporary....it almost sees like if SFO-HND (or HND-SFO) isn't available, there is nothing.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
For some reason the T-14 availability has been unusually limited lately....hopefully this is temporary....it almost sees like if SFO-HND (or HND-SFO) isn't available, there is nothing.
First week of May is a major holiday period in Japan.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
Ah, makes sense then.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
Why would that impact flights from the U.S. to Japan?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.