Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

A new thread to keep the discussion fresh and navigable.

Wiki has been copied over. Please feel free to update with current info.

Previous thread here:

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022) - FlyerTalk Forums

Last edited by dayone; Jan 2, 2023 at 9:58 am Reason: Typo.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Has anyone had any luck calling JAL to get them to unblock a window seat?

I was originally booked in 10A on an award J ticket and there was an equipment change, so I was moved to an aisle seat.

I've tried entering my AS FF info but there is no area in the field.

EF shows window seats available, but the JAL manage booking tool doesn't.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, KF
Looking at ORD-MNL on JAL and can only see J for 65k miles whereas on AA's site, I can see F seats available but for 110k miles. Is F worth the extra miles?
Update: I just went ahead and booked business for 70k from DCA-MNL. Got the confirmation code but can't enter it in JAL's website to select seats. Ami I missing something?

Last edited by Stingyguy; Jan 2, 2023 at 10:41 am
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Stingyguy
Looking at ORD-MNL on JAL and can only see J for 65k miles whereas on AA's site, I can see F seats available but for 110k miles. Is F worth the extra miles?
Update: I just went ahead and booked business for 70k from DCA-MNL. Got the confirmation code but can't enter it in JAL's website to select seats. Ami I missing something?
make sure it's the JAL partner code you're entering, not the one from AS
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, KF
Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
make sure it's the JAL partner code you're entering, not the one from AS
Yes, indeed. Figured it out. I had to log out of JMB account to manage my booking. Was able to select seats.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by ShutUpDonnie
Has anyone had any luck calling JAL to get them to unblock a window seat?

I was originally booked in 10A on an award J ticket and there was an equipment change, so I was moved to an aisle seat.

I've tried entering my AS FF info but there is no area in the field.

EF shows window seats available, but the JAL manage booking tool doesn't.
I just got off of the phone with a JAL agent using the US 800 number.

Initially, she said there were no window seats available (which I could see was not correct via EF) but before we hung up I asked her to add my AS FF info to the reservation.

She called back 2 minutes later and told me that window seats had just opened up and she could now seat me.

TLDR; Get your AS FF number into the JAL reservation for OW benefits and you will be able to select blocked off window seats!
hondaman82 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I've stumbled upon this incredible fare which strangely does not show if I book just DEL-HND-LAX. Now my final destination is LAX, so can I just pickup my bags and walk out of the airport or will bags go all the way to ONT?

Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Anish
I've stumbled upon this incredible fare which strangely does not show if I book just DEL-HND-LAX. Now my final destination is LAX, so can I just pickup my bags and walk out of the airport or will bags go all the way to ONT?

I think if you try to actually book it, the HND-LAX leg will not confirm in first.
KuBear likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:40 am

^^ agree with post above. If a non-stop single segment for first class doesn't show up when you search, then it's a phantom award space.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by KuBear
^^ agree with post above. If a non-stop single segment for first class doesn't show up when you search, then it's a phantom award space.
Not necessarily - the only way to find out is to book it. (I was able to book bkk-hnd-oaj-itm but could not book bkk-hnd without the others)
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Did you book it? If so yes, you can pick up your bag at LAX (have to at first port of entry) and then just not recheck them.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Or book it and assuming its real call alaska at a later date and have them delete the lax-sea-ont. Since its alaskas own metal it shouldn't be an issue. I've done that before
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors

To answer the bag check question: you will have to claim you bags at LAX anyway, since it is your port of entry into USA and you need to clear customs at LAX. You can just rip off your bag tags and walk out at LAX, regardless of where they are checked to.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:43 pm

ORD-HND J and F options have really really dried up unless within 10 or so days, interesting.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I see F available from HND- LAx

but from kix, only offered (in the app), J on both legs.

Married segments or need to call in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.