Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
current proper mileage pricing sfo-bkk F and J

So the same bug that doesn't allow booking a J bkk-tyo connecting with tyo-sfo in First continues. Even with seats available in F it won't price even with a stopover and reverts to all J. Does anyone know what the price should be now?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by estnet
So the same bug that doesn't allow booking a J bkk-tyo connecting with tyo-sfo in First continues. Even with seats available in F it won't price even with a stopover and reverts to all J. Does anyone know what the price should be now?
I don't know, but since you didn't ask I will give you my guess based on some data (TLDR: my guess is 105k):

1) Old chart cost the same amount over J or F to go beyond TYO to BKK. That amount used to be 5k (BKK-SFO, 65k in J, 75k in F).
2) New cost TYO-SFO is (still) 60k in J. New cost BKK-SFO is 80k in J. Difference to go beyond TYO to BKK is +20k (80k-60k) in J.
3) Assume it costs the same 20k difference in F to go to or from BKK from the US.
4) So the F cost BKK-SFO probably is 105k (new 85k F price TYO-US plus 20k BKK-TYO cost).

The only way to know for sure is to get AS to price it by calling in because the website cannot handle it.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I don't know, but since you didn't ask I will give you my guess based on some data (TLDR: my guess is 105k):

1) Old chart cost the same amount over J or F to go beyond TYO to BKK. That amount used to be 5k (BKK-SFO, 65k in J, 75k in F).
2) New cost TYO-SFO is (still) 60k in J. New cost BKK-SFO is 80k in J. Difference to go beyond TYO to BKK is +20k (80k-60k) in J.
3) Assume it costs the same 20k difference in F to go to or from BKK from the US.
4) So the F cost BKK-SFO probably is 105k (new 85k F price TYO-US plus 20k BKK-TYO cost).

The only way to know for sure is to get AS to price it by calling in because the website cannot handle it.
Yes, this is what it should be - but before I could cite the web where it listed the rate, now, however it is not clearly listed (eg us-asia F "from" 70k) so I was wondering if anyone has actually booked it. Due to the much diminished availability it is really hard to find actual flight to have them check.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:24 am

Yes, this is what it should be - but before I could cite the web where it listed the rate, now, however it is not clearly listed (eg us-asia F "from" 70k) so I was wondering if anyone has actually booked it. Due to the much diminished availability it is really hard to find actual flight to have them check.
It's worse than that. Even if you find availability, which I did, the online system will not show it to price it. The only way to know is to call and book it or find someone who has. Since no one has jumped in with a confirmed answer we can only guess for now. If you book it, please let us know the actual number.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It's worse than that. Even if you find availability, which I did, the online system will not show it to price it. The only way to know is to call and book it or find someone who has. Since no one has jumped in with a confirmed answer we can only guess for now. If you book it, please let us know the actual number.
Looks much worse. I could find segments at 85K SFO-HND and 50K HND-KIX-BKK a couple of weeks later (making it a stopover in Tokyo), but they would not price together on the AS website using multi segment pricing. I recall the HND-BKK used to be 25K so it is possible that the intra asian flights on JAL are now 50K? As you pointed out there is no way to know what the add-on for a Transpac + Intra Asian flight would price at, but it looks like a 100% price increase on that segment of the award as well as extreme lack of availability (no nonstops showing available).

Grim time ahead for these type of mileage redemptions from my prespective.

V/r,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by cyborg
Looks much worse. I could find segments at 85K SFO-HND and 50K HND-KIX-BKK a couple of weeks later (making it a stopover in Tokyo), but they would not price together on the AS website using multi segment pricing. I recall the HND-BKK used to be 25K so it is possible that the intra asian flights on JAL are now 50K? As you pointed out there is no way to know what the add-on for a Transpac + Intra Asian flight would price at, but it looks like a 100% price increase on that segment of the award as well as extreme lack of availability (no nonstops showing available).

Grim time ahead for these type of mileage redemptions from my prespective.

V/r,

-Cyborg
Yes, that was my point - the point was that you couldn't ever get proper pricing on the web and had to call to get the pricing for a whole trip - now if anyone successfully books it I hope they'll post so we know what the current pricing will be.
It used to be 75k for sfo-tyo-bkk F, J one fare but if priced separately it would be 70 +25 - the 75k could only be booked by calling.

Last edited by estnet; Mar 29, 2023 at 6:32 pm
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yes, that was my point - the buy was that you couldn't ever get proper pricing on the web and had to call to get the pricing for a whole trip - now if anyone successfully books it I hope they'll post so we know what the current pricing will be.
That data point will only tell you what that award cost on that day for that award. It could be dynamically different on different days or the same flights on the same day.

Where can my miles take me?

To see award pricing and availability for your dates and destinations, search for award travel now. Award prices vary based on dates, route, distance and availability. Use the chart below for an estimate of where award pricing starts for one-way trips from the US and Canada.

James
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That data point will only tell you what that award cost on that day for that award. It could be dynamically different on different days or the same flights on the same day.

Where can my miles take me?

To see award pricing and availability for your dates and destinations, search for award travel now. Award prices vary based on dates, route, distance and availability. Use the chart below for an estimate of where award pricing starts for one-way trips from the US and Canada.

James
Yes, but in practice it isn't different on different dates even now AFAICT - just simply not available at all on some days
Old Mar 29, 2023, 8:36 pm

Yes, but in practice it isn't different on different dates even now AFAICT - just simply not available at all on some days
US/CAN->EU starts at 57.5K. I have seen some BA flights price at 57.5K where it used to be 60K & also 80K that used to be 60K. I will have to have another look; perhaps it is route dependent.

James
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
US/CAN->EU starts at 57.5K. I have seen some BA flights price at 57.5K where it used to be 60K & also 80K that used to be 60K. I will have to have another look; perhaps it is route dependent.

James
This thread is about JAL booking, it is a special issue. Not about Europe (which doesn't have these issues AFAIK)
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:27 am

This thread is about JAL booking, it is a special issue. Not about Europe (which doesn't have these issues AFAIK)
I guess you missed the point! I rest!

James
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:09 am

I was able to price sfo-hnd-bkk F,J with stopover for 100K. Note that for both JL & CX, stopover more than 2 weeks not allowed (at least currently on the website) anymore from my experience. You have to keep the stopover within 2 weeks to be bookable online.

Last edited by OnePassLover; Mar 31, 2023 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by OnePassLover
I was able to price sfo-hnd-bkk F,J with stopover for 100K. Note that for both JL & CX, stopover more than 2 weeks not allowed (at least currently on the website) anymore from my experience. You have to keep the stopover within 2 weeks to be bookable online.

Got it! Wow, that's why my attempt would not price, the stopover I was attempting was over 2 weeks. Thanks much for letting us know!
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:00 pm

Thank you so much. This is exactly the info needed! From 75 to 100 now. Hope availability increases a bit -

OT esp bkk-hnd is very hard (but strangely bkk-kix-itm-hnd is more often available - 2 flights with a change of airport somehow works for them, guess the demand bkk-kix is less than bkk-hnd nonstop - wouldn't be so bad except for having transport luggage yourself between the 2 ap)

Originally Posted by OnePassLover

Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
My seat selection in business class for AS awards over the last few years has been limited to middle seats up front or windows in the second cabin (typically 8 and above). I found 8A to be subject to engine vibrations and more difficult to get good sleep on the intra asia flights from HND that leave at midnite (e.g., HND-BKK). Today I saw front cabin window seats open up for an AS award at the 7 day window (didn't know there was such a window) and was able to move up from 8A to 4A. I'm currently OWS/MPG, so don't know if that mattered, but is didn't provide any help when booking and selecting seats a few months ago.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.