Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by soy
Looking for some advice.

At end 2022 I booked HND-ORD in F for travel this fall.

Took a look at my reservation today only to discover it is now a 787 with no F
I only booked ORD because I could not get JFK, and always planned to change to JFK at T-14. However now F is gone to 100k

Any thoughts on the willingness of AS to allow me to switch to an open F award seat at JFK without triggering an upcharge to the new rate?
I do not have AS status
Hey, sorry to hear about the changes in your flight. My flight also got affected, I'm leaving LAX on the end of Oct and was also downgraded due to a equipment change. While calling in to the partner's desk, I was advised not to ask for the refund of miles as once they refund the miles, means I have accepted the change and case close. What the staff advised is that to keep the booking as it is and pray that they change back to the 777 and they can put me back on F without the points difference, until 2 days before departure, if there's still no change in aircraft, call in and ask for the miles refund.
Interesting fact, SFO is still being served by 777 at the end of OCT and when i asked them to see if they can placed me on the flight departing from SFO, he told me that there's a 200 miles rule to change? Does anybody know of this?
Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2023, 7:55 am

JAL biz awards lax to tyo gone?

Along with the no knock devaluation this week, has anyone experienced this? I looked for one way JAL in biz using AS points from lax to Tyo from June to December and found ONE seat in that time span. Was it operator error or did AS/JAL strip out all the future awards?
Old Mar 17, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planyi
Along with the no knock devaluation this week, has anyone experienced this? I looked for one way JAL in biz using AS points from lax to Tyo from June to December and found ONE seat in that time span. Was it operator error or did AS/JAL strip out all the future awards?
The window for booking that time period when the schedule opened has long passed....there should be some availability opening up at T-14.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:05 am

Also try award calendar or use AA/BA to verify. The one way search is often broken.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Neither - a lot of people want to go to Japan and booked those flights when they were released last year.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Neither - a lot of people want to go to Japan and booked those flights when they were released last year.
I didn't realize how fortunate I was in March 2022 to have wide open business class availability from SFO to NRT to BKK and back. Literally every flight was available because Japan was closed to non-transiting foreigners.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by soy
Looking for some advice.

At end 2022 I booked HND-ORD in F for travel this fall.

Took a look at my reservation today only to discover it is now a 787 with no F
I only booked ORD because I could not get JFK, and always planned to change to JFK at T-14. However now F is gone to 100k

Any thoughts on the willingness of AS to allow me to switch to an open F award seat at JFK without triggering an upcharge to the new rate?
I do not have AS status
A poster in the AA forum claims 3 for 3 in getting ORD changed to JFK in F. Call the partner desk and ask them to contact the JAL liaison and request them to swap to JFK in F on the basis that JAL canceled the F service to ORD. If it works for AA it should work for AS, because it's JAL who has to approve it, not AS.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post35071103
nsx and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: United, AA, Alaska, SPG, Hyatt, Chase, Citi
I was able to book a last minute JAL first class award ticket from JFK to HND. However I could not select seats from the JAL website. It seems like they are not allowing seat selection for tickets booked with partner airlines. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm worried they might have oversold.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by christianwu
I was able to book a last minute JAL first class award ticket from JFK to HND. However I could not select seats from the JAL website. It seems like they are not allowing seat selection for tickets booked with partner airlines. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm worried they might have oversold.
It still works. You might just have to call in.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
did you use the JAL pnr not the AS one? I was able to select seat for a last minute booking in last few weeks

Last edited by estnet; Mar 18, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I booked using AS miles, and just today used the JL PNR and picked my seats with no problems. To my surprise my AS # was not attached so I was able to add my BA # (where I'm OWE); I don't think that would've made a difference in seat selection, though.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I booked using AS miles, and just today used the JL PNR and picked my seats with no problems. To my surprise my AS # was not attached so I was able to add my BA # (where I'm OWE); I don't think that would've made a difference in seat selection, though.

Out of curiosity, were you using the JAL mobile site or desktop version when you did this? Im in a similar boat (booked through AS, pretty sure that number is not attached, and would like to add my AA #) but cant seem to make it happen on my iPhone, it only wants to accept a JL FF#.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jakezim
Out of curiosity, were you using the JAL mobile site or desktop version when you did this? Im in a similar boat (booked through AS, pretty sure that number is not attached, and would like to add my AA #) but cant seem to make it happen on my iPhone, it only wants to accept a JL FF#.
Desktop. Pull-down menu gave me all the airline options you'd expect.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jakezim
Happened to me before. You need to call JAL to add your FF#.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Congrats for your last minute F booking. Was it for 1 pax or 2?
How many award miles did u pay?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.