Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
What's the best strategy/way to handle a companion no longer being able to join for the last segment of a RT booked with companion fare where we already used GGU to confirm upgrades into F for both flights? Wife and I have a round trip SEA-BOS with me as the primary and her as the companion. Now she has to go somewhere else from BOS for work so she won't be taking the return flight BOS-SEA. I want to be especially mindful of the confirmed upgrade using the GGU certificates and don't want to risk anything getting messed up for my return flight's upgrade because we all know how hard it is to find U space on transcons!

Is the best course of action to simply have her be a no-show for the return segment? Is there any benefit to calling in advance -- not sure if there's any wallet credit benefit for cancelling the companion portion of the ticket?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
If I purchase Alaska flight on AA site (I have some pesky trip credits I like to use up, first).
It prices the same but books into O fare which earns 1/4 of miles flown when credited to AS.
Is there a way around it to earn full miles as if I purchased it with AS(or better if not full)?

Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
If I purchase Alaska flight on AA site (I have some pesky trip credits I like to use up, first).
It prices the same but books into O fare which earns 1/4 of miles flown when credited to AS.
Is there a way around it to earn full miles as if I purchased it with AS(or better if not full)?

No, your only option is to purchase a higher fare bucket. If it is any constellation, if you are 75K or higher, you will be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

James
Alexsth2011 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I’m guessing no, because Alaska awards don’t earn miles when flown on Alaska — but I’ll ask anyway:

Do Partner Business or Partner Frist tickets on British Airways (booked with Alaska miles) earn any EQM or RDM?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Bballfan28
I’m guessing no, because Alaska awards don’t earn miles when flown on Alaska — but I’ll ask anyway:

Do Partner Business or Partner Frist tickets on British Airways (booked with Alaska miles) earn any EQM or RDM?
Nope - only revenue (paid) tickets that are on the earnings chart for BA (or any partner)..
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Nope - only revenue (paid) tickets that are on the earnings chart for BA (or any partner)..
Thanks; that’s what I thought.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Weekend in LAS, nonstop from JFK!

I came across two one-off AS nonstop flights. JFK-LAS January 4th & LAS-JFK January 8th. Timing is excellent too.

Not particularly cheap at $808 return but it books into M class on the outbound which is an eligible fare for 75K & 100K Elites and ineligible L class on the return. No award space either.

Most of the lower fare buckets are Zeroed out so a cheaper option may present as the date nears.

I thought it was interesting and wanted to share for the Avgeeks.

Perhaps it could be included in an interesting run like JFK-LAS-ANC-ORD-BOI-LAX-SFO-LAS-JFK.

James
samosa and kalderlake like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How are the chances of upgrades in and out of SAN and SMF for a Oneworld Emerald? Flying on an ERJ 175 SAN-SMF (J3) and an ERJ 175 SMF-SAN (J7) on the way back. Tues/Thurs morning flights next week. First few times flying Alaska so not sure how popular these airports are for AS status members.

Current trip that I'm on now (SNA-SEA) was upgraded at check in, which I was really surprised about considering only 12 seats up front on the 737-800. Hoping I get the same luck going back tomorrow, but not holding my breath.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by brosnan6
What's the best strategy/way to handle a companion no longer being able to join for the last segment of a RT booked with companion fare where we already used GGU to confirm upgrades into F for both flights? Wife and I have a round trip SEA-BOS with me as the primary and her as the companion. Now she has to go somewhere else from BOS for work so she won't be taking the return flight BOS-SEA. I want to be especially mindful of the confirmed upgrade using the GGU certificates and don't want to risk anything getting messed up for my return flight's upgrade because we all know how hard it is to find U space on transcons!

Is the best course of action to simply have her be a no-show for the return segment? Is there any benefit to calling in advance -- not sure if there's any wallet credit benefit for cancelling the companion portion of the ticket?
^^ Bump on this. Hoping to get it answered here without needing to create a separate post. Any advice appreciated, thank you!
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
^^ Bump on this. Hoping to get it answered here without needing to create a separate post. Any advice appreciated, thank you!
No wallet benefit to cancelling in advance, but I think an agent should be able to split her off onto a separate PNR/cancel her portion without having to reissue yours/lose your upgrade. If they're not sure they can keep you upgraded, I would just have her no-show. If you do cancel her vs no-show, remember to contact customer care to have the GGU reissued!
brosnan6 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:53 am
Community Director Emerita

My husband and I had this situation albeit without the added issue of upgrading our flights in advance. I was the primary on a SAN-BOS RT. He had business come up that required him to fly elsewhere on the return. He simply was a no show. Our upgrades cleared in advance. I got my upgraded seat. He didn't check in and someone else filled his seat.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
This has probably been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find the answer. I am flying AA in December for work and much to my mortification, the entity that booked my ticket bought a basic economy ticket. It's a short flight so I can live without the extra legroom and free premium drinks (sigh) but I'm wondering about the other benefits. Does anyone happen to know if I'll still get free checked bags and preferential boarding? Also, will I still earn the 500-mile minimum EQM on AS? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
This has probably been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find the answer. I am flying AA in December for work and much to my mortification, the entity that booked my ticket bought a basic economy ticket. It's a short flight so I can live without the extra legroom and free premium drinks (sigh) but I'm wondering about the other benefits. Does anyone happen to know if I'll still get free checked bags and preferential boarding? Also, will I still earn the 500-mile minimum EQM on AS? Thanks in advance!
If you have oneworld Elite Status or an AA branded credit card, that should cover you luggage on the BE fare. As far as earnings in Mileage Plan, if the booking code is B, you will get a goose egg. Zip, zilch, zero, nada. The entity that purchased the BE fare for you cannot change or cancel it. If you are unable to fly, their money is lost.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 3:05 am

Hi all,

Recently flew on Qatar Airways and decided to credit the miles to Alaska Mileage Plan. However, I am confused about the ticket fare class and hence the number of miles to be credited.

On my Qatar Airways Electronic Ticket Receipt, the flight Class is listed as "K" and "Y", so miles credited should be 50% and 100% respectively. However, the Fare Basis of the ticket is "TJVNP1ZX", which suggests a fare class of "T" (25%) instead. I had to reschedule my flight dates multiple times, which may explain why there are two different fare classes applicable to the ticket.

Does anyone know which fare class would apply here for partner miles crediting? Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm having trouble with the "Change Reservation" option on the website. I'm trying to change an award reservation, well attempting to see if there's a better connection - shorter layover. So I go into the reservation, then select the flight I want to change. I then click on "Continue". The page cycles for a minute, like it's processing, then it stops and nothing happens. I've checked this on multiple PNRs with the same outcome. I've also confirmed the same behavior on Chrome, Edge, and Safari.

Are others experiencing this issue? Where do I report these problems? Despite AS IT clunkiness, I've never had a real software bug cause problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.