Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:16 pm

Newbie AS member question...

Are redemption rates a product solely of demand (i.e. rates go up as availability declines)? Or is there some influence from sales, timing, etc.?

Was eyeing up an itinerary last night, and the redemption prices have doubled as of this morning.

Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Denguin
Newbie AS member question...

Are redemption rates a product solely of demand (i.e. rates go up as availability declines)? Or is there some influence from sales, timing, etc.?

Was eyeing up an itinerary last night, and the redemption prices have doubled as of this morning.

Thanks!
The cost of an award ticket on AS metal depends on available fare buckets, just like cash tickets.

This can go up and down based on demand, how close you are to departure (particularly less than 2 weeks), etc.

It might go further up if demand stays high. It might go down if AS determines the price is too high and it's preventing them from filling the plane.

Either way, since there's no fee to cancel a cash or award ticket, might as well just book now, then cancel and rebook if you can get a more favorable rate later.
SamirD, be_rettSEA and Denguin like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Any idea why the MVP line has a one hour wait today?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
Any idea why the MVP line has a one hour wait today?
Their IT systems seem to be having issues check-in down (mobile/website)?

So that's likely pushing a lot of people to call.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by remyjette
The cost of an award ticket on AS metal depends on available fare buckets, just like cash tickets.

This can go up and down based on demand, how close you are to departure (particularly less than 2 weeks), etc.

It might go further up if demand stays high. It might go down if AS determines the price is too high and it's preventing them from filling the plane.

Either way, since there's no fee to cancel a cash or award ticket, might as well just book now, then cancel and rebook if you can get a more favorable rate later.
Thanks for the explanation - good to know! Kicking myself, since I knew about AS' refund policy, but I didn't pull the trigger last night because I didn't want to wake the +1 by rummaging for the passports!

I'll just book, and keep re-checking incessantly.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.