Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Connie In MT
I have the BOA Alaska Air credit card. I plan to buy my son and grandson tickets from TPA to SEA. Will their luggage be free, or will they have to pay for each bag? I will be there checking in simultaneously and flying on a companion ticket with my granddaughter.
We had similar situation with our kids, grandkids flying with companion tickets.
One downside of companion tickets and family of four is all four cannot be on same PNR.
Our daughter has AS Visa and DH is authorized user , with a card. Lucky for them, check in agent allowed 1 bag for each for trip to Hawaii.
in your case, buying the tickets for son and grandson will not link your AS card to their PNR. Card is linked to your MP account. Your PNR with granddaughter will have 1 checked bag each for free. If you have status with AS, then you would get two bags.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by suzyfly
Thinking about signing up for the Alaska card. Is the 50k mile offer good or will it go higher if I wait?
Saw this message while flying the other day. You need to go to alaskaair62k.com to apply

Last edited by dayone; Sep 25, 2022 at 11:27 pm Reason: Enable hyperlink.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hyedmd
Saw this message while flying the other day. You need to go to alaskaair62k.com to apply
or you might be targeted for an 80k offer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targe...d-80000-miles/

Makes me think about cancelling mine and wait for an offer.
Guate87 likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Sep 25, 2022 at 11:25 pm Reason: Delete quoted image for readability.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
or you might be targeted for an 80k offer.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targe...d-80000-miles/

Makes me think about cancelling mine and wait for an offer.
Sure, if you get targeted with the better offer, then go with it. But if not, then 62k mile bonus is better than 50k I myself got the 80k mile offer by mail like 6 months ago but I still don't really see the appeal of AS credit cards.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hyedmd
I myself got the 80k mile offer by mail like 6 months ago but I still don't really see the appeal of AS credit cards.
Me neither (*), but I see the appeal of 62k or 80k miles in my account.

(*) the discounted companion pass ticket makes holding the card beyond the first year for many semi-profitable, but using it for everyday spend isn’t appealing to me. Which is why I might cancel one of mine (I have the personal and the business cards) and wait for a good sign up bonus.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Me neither (*), but I see the appeal of 62k or 80k miles in my account.

(*) the discounted companion pass ticket makes holding the card beyond the first year for many semi-profitable, but using it for everyday spend isn’t appealing to me. Which is why I might cancel one of mine (I have the personal and the business cards) and wait for a good sign up bonus.
You may have to wait two years!

From the T&C:This card may not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period.

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You may have to wait two years!

From the T&C:This card may not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period.
Thanks. Wish I had cancelled it earlier then, but the next best time to do it might be now. Realistically I don’t need a new signup bonus for the next two years as I still have a lot of AS, BA, and AA miles go burn. And maybe they will launch a new and improved card without the limit on previous cardholders (new product and all).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw a notification on my phone that my flight is now boarding at gate C2E. I am at home, not traveling (the notification was from last night when I was sleeping). Thinking through it for a few moments (after sipping some more coffee), I realize it was an award flight that I canceled a few weeks ago. I double-checked and yes I received the refunds.

I don’t recall if I opened the AS app on my phone since the cancellation, so my suspicion is that the app didn’t sync my trips from the server and acted upon old data without first checking with the mothership. Does that sound plausible?
Yeah - I've had that happen a number of times. It seems that cancellations and changes don't always get synced, and sometimes it looks like it's the phone calendar letting me know, not the Alaska app.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:02 pm

If I purchase a AA codeshare operated by CX, will I earn based on the AA chart or CX chart (i.e. AA8938 in V class vs. CX885 in S class).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
If I purchase a AA codeshare operated by CX, will I earn based on the AA chart or CX chart (i.e. AA8938 in V class vs. CX885 in S class).
It will earn according to the AA charts. In the case of fare class V, 75% of the miles flown is your base.

Always refer to the charts of the carrier code that preceeds the flight number. That is the marketing carrier.

James
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I just made MVP-G for the first time. My organic flying starting next year will get me there consistently for future years but I had to mileage run for it before end of this year.

A couple questions about SDC’s:

1) If there is availability on the flight I want to change to, do I get to select my seat? Or am I added the the awaiting seats list?

2) Am I added to the bottom of the upgrade list? Or am I still above any MVP’s (that haven’t already been upgraded)?

3) if I am booked on an N fare for example, I could SDC even if there was only 1 Y fare left?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Bballfan28
I just made MVP-G for the first time. My organic flying starting next year will get me there consistently for future years but I had to mileage run for it before end of this year.

A couple questions about SDC’s:

1) If there is availability on the flight I want to change to, do I get to select my seat? Or am I added the the awaiting seats list?

2) Am I added to the bottom of the upgrade list? Or am I still above any MVP’s (that haven’t already been upgraded)?

3) if I am booked on an N fare for example, I could SDC even if there was only 1 Y fare left?

Thanks!
1. If there are available seats and you do a same day confirmed change, yes you pick your seat. If there isn't space available for a confirmed change the app will let you go on the standby list, in which case you would go on the Awaiting Seats list.

2. You are added in the spot for an MVPG that just booked at your original fare class.

3. Yes, you can.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by remyjette
1. If there are available seats and you do a same day confirmed change, yes you pick your seat. If there isn't space available for a confirmed change the app will let you go on the standby list, in which case you would go on the Awaiting Seats list.

2. You are added in the spot for an MVPG that just booked at your original fare class.

3. Yes, you can.
thanks! And is the SDC fare class the same as what I originally booked. For example, if there is only Y left, but I originally booked N — will my fare class still be N?
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
thanks! And is the SDC fare class the same as what I originally booked. For example, if there is only Y left, but I originally booked N — will my fare class still be N?
Yes.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyjette
Yes.
AS permits a SDC on any non-Saver fare. There need not be inventory in the original fare bucked booked on the new flight. A seat only needs to be available to confirm the change so it is up to last available seat regardless of what fare class that seat is booking into.

After the change, your new flight will show as booked into Y. However, Y is just a placeholder and earnings on the flight will be based on the underlying fare class of the original ticket. In your case N. The new flight in Y will not earn the 50% Class of Service bonus.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.