Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Social Distance Seat Blocking (Through 1/6/2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by tatterdema
On my Galaxy Phone, their seat map does not have the middle seats blocked out. Maybe try that?
Interesting. My iPhone showed them blocked. Fortunately, I was upgraded to F (where no seats are blocked out ).
Old May 25, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS
Question, regarding F. Are they running flights with F at 50%? Read that this is what they are planning to do until July 1.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pcoll
Question, regarding F. Are they running flights with F at 50%? Read that this is what they are planning to do until July 1.
So far, in my experience yes. they are only letting 50% of the seats be occupied in FC, either by limiting sales or upgrades. If it is all solo travelers though, it ends up being one less because 1D is occupied by a FA.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:02 am

Only 4 in F on the PDX-SEA shuttle this morning, 7 total. I’m in 3D, 2 non revs put in 4C, 4D Whatever...
Old May 27, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Only 4 in F on the PDX-SEA shuttle this morning, 7 total. I’m in 3D, 2 non revs put in 4C, 4D Whatever...
There has been quite a few deadheading employees so maybe that's why they were in F?
Old May 27, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Seacrzn
There has been quite a few deadheading employees so maybe that's why they were in F?
Perhaps. Didn’t bother me, just seemed odd to stick them there on an empty plane.
Old May 27, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Perhaps. Didn’t bother me, just seemed odd to stick them there on an empty plane.
I agree...with only 7 passengers on what I assume is a 737 (maybe E175), I would have thought they would be more spread out....odd.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Flew F on 5/21. On an E175 from SEA to PHX. I had been keeping an eye on seats and ticket sales. When I looked a few days before my flight for tickets on that route for that day, it said there were NO tickets at all available across any flight that day. Seat map at that time was showing 6 free F seats that I could chose from (out of 12). There were no Economy seats free.
The day of the flight there were 10+ people on the standby and probably 8+ on the upgrade list with only 5 free F seats.

In the end, F had 3 open F seats. That's not the 50% they promise. I was also surprised that 2 of the 3 open seats were the aisle seats. It meant there was only a few feet between me and the man across the aisle (1C). That aisle had been free until shortly before the flight based on the fact that him and the man in 1D did not board together and did not say a word to each other, I assume they were strangers. I was a bit disappointed by this and would have been quite unhappy to have someone seated next to me (in which case I might have had more social distancing if I have been in Economy)

Economy did have a number of aisle seats taken on the flight, but there were a lot of families and couples so it was hard to see if they were together. The back half of E did have more open aisle seats.

I realize they are capping F sales, but given SDC's and overbooked flights, I will not be surprised (though disappointed) to see cabins more full than they claim.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Been flying on E175 my last 4 flights. 12FC total and the most has been 7 in FC. All seats were selectable, I assume they rely on passengers choosing seats apart. All the single A seats were selected and the windows. all the aisle seats were open.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Been flying on E175 my last 4 flights. 12FC total and the most has been 7 in FC. All seats were selectable, I assume they rely on passengers choosing seats apart. All the single A seats were selected and the windows. all the aisle seats were open.
So what happens if someone choses to sit next to you in F and you don't learn about it until you're seated? Seems to be they should actually block all 1Cs on the E175 and then only be able to switch to that seat if you're flying with someone at the gate. That's my opinion to at least give as much room between passengers in F as they are in Economy.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Bellerina
So what happens if someone choses to sit next to you in F and you don't learn about it until you're seated? Seems to be they should actually block all 1Cs on the E175 and then only be able to switch to that seat if you're flying with someone at the gate. That's my opinion to at least give as much room between passengers in F as they are in Economy.
the gate agents adjust
Old May 27, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
the gate agents adjust
This happened after boarding. The man that took 1C was almost the last person in board and the person in 1D had been there since the beginning of boarding.
Like I said, they MIGHT have been together, but the way the guy in 1C was holding himself to keep from touching 1D, I doubt it. Not sure how comfortable some would be to demand the person in 1D moves when he’s standing right next to him.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the end, F had 3 open F seats. That's not the 50% they promise.
I will be interested to hear more reports on this. I chose AS for upcoming flights specifically based on the supposed "only 50% of F" policy. If they're not following it, I'll rebook on WN, which is adhering to its stated limits (selling aircraft only 2/3 full to leave middles open) and where you get to pick your own seat. Won't currently fly AA or UA due to their propensity to book F cabins full.
Old May 28, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AS
This happened after boarding. The man that took 1C was almost the last person in board and the person in 1D had been there since the beginning of boarding.
Like I said, they MIGHT have been together, but the way the guy in 1C was holding himself to keep from touching 1D, I doubt it. Not sure how comfortable some would be to demand the person in 1D moves when he’s standing right next to him.
on AS , states that if you are uncomfortable with someone placed next to you, bring it to FA attention for a change. I would be one to say it, “ excuse me but I am not comfortable having a stranger sit right next to me”. One should try to mitigate the threat as much as possible, health is more important the feeling embarrassed.
AS does specify that F sales would be capped at 50% however, does an upgraded passenger count as a sold F seat?
Old May 28, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
Flew JFK-SFO a week ago, with a partner on a different record locator. Both upgraded and naturally she sat next to me in F.

Just before boarding, gate agent paged her and was about to ask her to move. We clarified we were traveling together and it was no problem.

Just tossing one datapoint out there where gate agent indeed adjusts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.