Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MAXII
Is it possible to cancel an award booking (AS flights) on-line? Also, do I pay the fee per person and will the miles be redeposited immediately? Thanks in advance.
Cancel online. Pay the cancellation fee per person, excepting for Gold and Gold75K. Also if the miles are going into a Gold or Gold75K account then there is no fee. Miles are immediately returned to the account.
MAXII likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:43 pm

I'm trying to piece together an LAX-SFO stopover-EWR F award itinerary. 15k+30k on one itinerary prices out at 30k, while my preferred routing, also 15k+30k prices out at 40. Why the difference?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:55 pm

Does anyone know if AS will waive cancelation fees for an award booking to Japan (on JAL) for April due to COVID-19 concerns?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by jomama341
Does anyone know if AS will waive cancelation fees for an award booking to Japan (on JAL) for April due to COVID-19 concerns?
They are actively discussing that in this thread. Consensus is that they will waive the cancellation fee, though one poster was refused. May depend on when you purchased the ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Cancel online. Pay the cancellation fee per person, excepting for Gold and Gold75K. Also if the miles are going into a Gold or Gold75K account then there is no fee. Miles are immediately returned to the account.
That is one way of doing it, though it's not required.

Another way is to cancel the reservation and get the ticket numbers emailed to you. You will not pay the fee until you redeposit the miles (note that the ticket expires a year after originally scheduled travel). The requirement to pay the fee (or not) is determined at the time that you need to pay it.

This can be useful if you are not MVPG+ but plan to be within the next year, and are ok "floating" the miles until your status changes. I saved $125 by doing this the year that I qualified for MVPG.

It works for cash tickets too, not only awards.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:22 pm

I get these 3 options if I cancel my April flights now:

Deposit the value of the tickets as credit into My Wallet.
  • You are eligible for credit in My Wallet without any cancellation fees. Credit may be used for eligible flight purchases.
  • Credit expires June 8, 2020.

Email the ticket value as credit.
  • You are eligible to receive credit certificates by email without any cancellation fees. Credit may be used for eligible flight purchases.
  • Credit expires June 8, 2020.

Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value.
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by April 18, 2021.
The first two are credits and essentially are funds that can be used by any traveller.

For the last option - are the saved tickets usable by anyone or only by the original, named, ticket holders?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:49 pm

Possibly-oblivious question, but: is there a "Consolidated AA Awards Availability/Booking" kinda thread that I'm not finding? The other big partners seem to have them, and I can usually get all my questions answered by reading through other people's experiences and the situation with AA changes often enough that everything I know is probably wrong.

My actual goal is to investigate BOS-AKL for late 2020; I know there's not much love for AA around here but BOS-LAX-AKL or BOS-DFW-AKL sure look like compelling options schedule-wise if I can find some J/F seats. (As a non-AA-elite I can only assume the AA Y experience would be pretty miserable.)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by glitchy
Possibly-oblivious question, but: is there a "Consolidated AA Awards Availability/Booking" kinda thread that I'm not finding? The other big partners seem to have them, and I can usually get all my questions answered by reading through other people's experiences and the situation with AA changes often enough that everything I know is probably wrong.

My actual goal is to investigate BOS-AKL for late 2020; I know there's not much love for AA around here but BOS-LAX-AKL or BOS-DFW-AKL sure look like compelling options schedule-wise if I can find some J/F seats. (As a non-AA-elite I can only assume the AA Y experience would be pretty miserable.)
I'm pretty sure that the AA forum does not have a "Consolidating Awards" thread per se, but such combining into a single award comes up quite often in the other award threads. Or you could ask in AA's equivalent to this forum.

If you're unable to book the whole route even though it should be a single award, while the pieces look bookable, you can book part on hold, then call and have them add the rest.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by glitchy

AA does not have F to AKL, unless they decide to change and deploy 77W.
Yes, Y will be miserable no matter the airlines, given this long long haul!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
I have a multi city, non refundable ticket. If Alaska changes my flights (due to the canceling of 900 flights systemwide) is there a chance I might be able to cancel and ask for a refund to the original form of payment (credit card) rather than get a credit certificate or loaded to my wallet if my original flights are cancelled?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by am1108
I have a multi city, non refundable ticket. If Alaska changes my flights (due to the canceling of 900 flights systemwide) is there a chance I might be able to cancel and ask for a refund to the original form of payment (credit card) rather than get a credit certificate or loaded to my wallet if my original flights are cancelled?
Most likely, yes. If it meets the definition of a schedule change in Rule 1 of Alaska's contract of carriage, then it is eligible for a refund under Rule 8D. There is an exception for Force Majeure events, however I don't believe we've heard reports of Alaska exercising that exception for the present circumstances.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...arriage/rule-8
am1108 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Most likely, yes. If it meets the definition of a schedule change in Rule 1 of Alaska's contract of carriage, then it is eligible for a refund under Rule 8D. There is an exception for Force Majeure events, however I don't believe we've heard reports of Alaska exercising that exception for the present circumstances.

data point: used the chat earlier today to request a full refund for my SFO-EWR RT as a result of the outbound red-eye being changed to an early morning departure. for some reason I didn't get an email confirmation but a later chat with another agent confirmed that they had put in the refund request.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lensovet
data point: used the chat earlier today to request a full refund for my SFO-EWR RT as a result of the outbound red-eye being changed to an early morning departure. for some reason I didn't get an email confirmation but a later chat with another agent confirmed that they had put in the refund request.
I didn't get an email either when I canceled by phone last week. $ hasn't posted yet, but not worried.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
I didn't get an email either when I canceled by phone last week. $ hasn't posted yet, but not worried.
You should get an email when the refund has processed.

James
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel

My flight actually changed earlier today and the agent quickly fulfilled my request. I was expecting her to try to deny the refund but she was pleasant the whole time. Although I didn't have to quote any rules, etc. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.