Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Finkface
So what does it say under e-ticket numbers on the website? If you have both old and new ticket numbers in the email, that would seem fine to me.
The website shows no e-ticket numbers. We have them in the confirmation email, but not in the record online.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Is the reservation showing up at all in My Trips?

Either way, try clicking on the search for reservation (Find by confirmation/eticket #) in My Trips, use the eticket number from your new confirmation.
The trip is in MyTrips. I had added it before the itinerary change and subsequent re-ticketing. I tried to see if searching for it via the new ticket number would resolve the issue. it did not.
Originally Posted by Finkface
Was the ticket booked with miles from your account? Or your travel companion’s? If not from yours, that could be why it isn’t showing up in your account. Either way, you can add it into your account manually using the PNR.
Ticket was booked with my miles from Ms. WillTravel4Food's account. I'd added it to MyTrips in my account before the change that caused this issue. It still shows up there, just without the ticket number. It also prevents me from attempting to change the reservation online, saying I have to call reservations. There's still one thing on the reservation that we would like to change, if the preferred flight becomes available. Given it's an intra-Europe BA flight, the only way I can check is by looking to change the reservation, requesting a change to the connecting flight.

The itinerary in question: SEA-PDX-LHR-MAD. Since AS doesn't allow an award LHR-MAD, I've been checking by requesting a reservation change online, but now I cannot do that.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
If I book an award reservation with an MVPG and an MVP and cancel it (same locator), will I be charged a redeposit fee on the miles for the MVP? Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
If I book an award reservation with an MVPG and an MVP and cancel it (same locator), will I be charged a redeposit fee on the miles for the MVP? Thanks.
It depends on where the miles come from and which type of award. If the miles came from the Gold (or any Gold or 75K), then the Gold waiver would also apply to the companion. If the miles come from the MVP's account, no waiver would apply.

If you book a refundable award in First or Coach, those of course would not have a cancelation fee regardless of status.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status
As an MVP™ Gold, my change fees are waived. What about for my family?

While anyone traveling with you in the same reservation will have their luggage fees waived, the change fee will apply to all passengers other than the MVP Gold. The exception is if your fellow passengers are booked on an award ticket using your miles; in that case, change fees are waived.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It depends on where the miles come from and which type of award. If the miles came from the Gold (or any Gold or 75K), then the Gold waiver would also apply to the companion. If the miles come from the MVP's account, no waiver would apply.

If you book a refundable award in First or Coach, those of course would not have a cancelation fee regardless of status.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status
Awesome - didn't realize there are refundable awards and award is coming out of the 75k account. Thanks!
rustykettel likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Not sure this deserves its own thread so I will post here: booked an SFO - MCO r/t through corporate agency. I selected the fare that was one up from the saver X fare (not a fan of X).

i call up AS the other day to apply a GGU to the leg. Of course I am in the wrong fare class for GGU so I need to up-fare first...here’s where it gets funny: the up-fare was actually cheaper (huh?). I got $35 back to use my GGU.

that’s a first! Even AS CSR was scratching her head.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
Not sure this deserves its own thread so I will post here: booked an SFO - MCO r/t through corporate agency. I selected the fare that was one up from the saver X fare (not a fan of X).

i call up AS the other day to apply a GGU to the leg. Of course I am in the wrong fare class for GGU so I need to up-fare first...here’s where it gets funny: the up-fare was actually cheaper (huh?). I got $35 back to use my GGU.

that’s a first! Even AS CSR was scratching her head.
Do you know your previous fare class?

There are a few options here:

1. Your corporate TA sucks and was not showing you the cheapest available fare, and you booked a higher fare class than you needed to. I see this a lot; oftentimes they can't see all the inventory.
2. The cheapest available was higher than K when you booked, and someone canceled before you called, which released availability in cheaper fare classes.
3. AS published a cheaper K fare between the time you booked and the time you called.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Help me get some sense of reality here.
When I get upgraded to FC with my 6yo but got seated on two aisle seats such as 2C and 2D. Naturally, I have asked other passengers on 2A and 2F and had generally no problem but this time, I got a hard no and really reluctant yes, which at first somewhat irritated me tbh, but as I thought more about it, I came to a slow realization that I might be the one that is acting rude here. These people probably paid 5x~7x more than me and they chose their seats, which I should respect more. It was 7h-long transcon, too and pretty sure we were the only ones upgraded. The one that said no didn't even get up once the whole entire time after all.

I mean, giving up FC to be seated in PC with middle seat open would have been completely fine with me.
What would you do? What should I do?
i had something like this earlier this week. Man and his ~7 year old. Definitely an upgrade or a last minute buy up to F (my guess as they didn’t look/act like frequent fliers) because at T-4, both 1A and 2F were the only vacant F seats. The rest of the F cabin had been filled for a month so obviously we all chose our preferred seats. I get up to pee at least every hour so if I can’t get an aisle, I choose a different flight.

I boarded in the last 5 people or so as I only had a tote bag that fit under the seat in front, and the man and his son boarded last, just after me. The man asks if I will change places with him so he can sit with his son. I ask where his seat is (it was pretty obvious but I asked anyway) and he says 1A. I politely decline as I don’t like windows. Plus, I needed the underseat space for my bag. He asks 1C to take 2F who also declines. She is elderly and uses a cane (as do I, though I am not elderly) and says it is easier to get out of 1C, which is why she chose it. The man was polite but persistent, basically just standing beside her until she was all but shamed into moving. Despite my offering to help her, she didn’t get up once during the 5.5 hr flight. I didn’t give her my aisle seat because she would have had to move every hour for me to get up anyway. And side note, both the dad and the kid put on headphones and had their noses buried in their tablets the entire flight not speaking more than two words to each other, so the kid would have been just fine on his own.

So yes, people do choose seats for various reasons. If it is that important to sit with one’s kid, then decline the upgrade if there aren’t seats together rather than forcing people to move from seats they specifically chose.
IndyHoosier and pcoll like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS
Totally agree with you on this. I buy and choose my seat in F because I do want access to the lav. Having a passenger shame others is unacceptable. As you were one of the parties involved in his quest , I think it would have been OK for you to ask him to please move along. Especially since he felt he could intimate an elderly lady. F is small enough and they were just 1 row apart. He could have easily kept eye contact with his son.
VegasGambler and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Or the FA could have said that to the father...

Last edited by Bellerina; Feb 20, 2020 at 1:05 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Was on 1203 (I believe) from ORD-SFO a few weeks ago, upgraded and seated in 1D. While taxiing, there was a sick passenger who came up and apparently put superglue in her eye. Regardless, the FA asked me to let her sit in my seat while the paramedics came and I happily moved to an empty PC seat for literally 10 minutes before moving back to my freshly cleaned 1D. Safe to say, I was shocked when i got a $250 discount code a few days later.

Is this frequent? Does AS give out that much money for seemingly trivial things? Above and beyond customer service for sure - I was upgraded as MVPG and even $25 would've made me happy.

Downside was I couldn't use this discount code with the Leap Day BOGO - how is it not possible that AS can issue these vouchers as anything other than a non-combineable code??
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitf00t
Was on 1203 (I believe) from ORD-SFO a few weeks ago, upgraded and seated in 1D. While taxiing, there was a sick passenger who came up and apparently put superglue in her eye.
What?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What?
She was feeling sick, and tried to put in eyedrops. She didn't speak english and it turned out what she thought was an eyedrop bottle was really superglue. She came up to the front screaming
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She was feeling sick, and tried to put in eyedrops. She didn't speak english and it turned out what she thought was an eyedrop bottle was really superglue. She came up to the front screaming
Wow. That's horrible.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Downside was I couldn't use this discount code with the Leap Day BOGO - how is it not possible that AS can issue these vouchers as anything other than a non-combineable code??
Unfortunately AS issues one time use discount codes for service recovery/compensation/gestures, instead of credit certificates or vouchers. The sole exception seems to be VDB compensation. If you call Customer Care, they have sometimes offered miles if that works, although the valuation usually isn't that great.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:21 pm

Has anyone ticketed an infant on partner award recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.