Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Has anyone ticketed an infant on partner award recently?
Partner Awards With Lap Child
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:59 pm

new format for refund

So Alaska has a new format for getting refunds on their website. It asks you to sign in to your Wallet account (even though I'm already signed it it still asks).
Does that mean one can sign in to another wallet account? Or just a stupid duplication?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:47 am

General question: I'm using concur for booking corporate travel. When I book an alaska ticket via concur, the reservation does not show up in my mobile app automatically. I've not experienced this with other carrier apps (United, American, Delta). Is this normal for all alaska reservations? Or just because I'm going through concur? It's always an added burden that I have to find my booking reference # then manually add it to the app (My tickets are all booked using my alaska membership number).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sholnay
General question: I'm using concur for booking corporate travel. When I book an alaska ticket via concur, the reservation does not show up in my mobile app automatically. I've not experienced this with other carrier apps (United, American, Delta). Is this normal for all alaska reservations? Or just because I'm going through concur? It's always an added burden that I have to find my booking reference # then manually add it to the app (My tickets are all booked using my alaska membership number).
we must use American Express Global Business Travel, similar or even a form of concur and I too must enter each trip booked through them separately. All my notices about change in flight details or upgrades, etc. go to them and they in turn will send me a notice. (which btw, they make it extremely difficult at times to figure out what exactly changed!). I asked about that once, and was told that the agency "owns" the ticket so all information goes to them and comes to me through the agency. Thankfully though, I do NOT have to use them to cancel or change a flight, that I always do directly with AS.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ctporter
we must use American Express Global Business Travel, similar or even a form of concur and I too must enter each trip booked through them separately. All my notices about change in flight details or upgrades, etc. go to them and they in turn will send me a notice. (which btw, they make it extremely difficult at times to figure out what exactly changed!). I asked about that once, and was told that the agency "owns" the ticket so all information goes to them and comes to me through the agency. Thankfully though, I do NOT have to use them to cancel or change a flight, that I always do directly with AS.
Thanks for the confirmation, I suspected it was some sort of agency routing thing - too bad. All the other carriers seem to do fine linking those bookings for us, maybe Alaska will figure it out sometime.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
I had a lounge member let me know that there was an advantage to buying a membership at either the end of the month or the beginning of the month. I just can't remember which it was. It resulted in you essentially getting 13 months.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by rune87
I had a lounge member let me know that there was an advantage to buying a membership at either the end of the month or the beginning of the month. I just can't remember which it was. It resulted in you essentially getting 13 months.
If you buy the lounge membership it is good through that month the following year. So if you buy it at the 1st of the month, say March 1st 2020, it will expire March 31st 2021. But, if you are renewing and let it lapse and try to renew you membership that expires February 28th 2020, and renew on March 1st (or later) 2020, it will still expire with your previous membership, i.e February 28th 2021.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do you know your previous fare class?

There are a few options here:

1. Your corporate TA sucks and was not showing you the cheapest available fare, and you booked a higher fare class than you needed to. I see this a lot; oftentimes they can't see all the inventory.
2. The cheapest available was higher than K when you booked, and someone canceled before you called, which released availability in cheaper fare classes.
3. AS published a cheaper K fare between the time you booked and the time you called.
I originally booked a G fare...which is what the TA showed me as the next fare up from the X
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
I originally booked a G fare...which is what the TA showed me as the next fare up from the X
R & T fare classes fall below G. If G was all that was available, R & T fare buckets at the time were empty. K class which follows G and is the lowest fare class that a GGU can be applied to. It is certainly possible that the K class fare dropped below the G class fare you paid. It is also possible that the G class fare dropped commensurately. In essence you paid more than you had to by buying when you did.

James
Hotel_junkie likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Feb 25, 2020 at 11:58 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If you buy a Main Cabin ticket and then purchase a Premium seat, does it change the fare class (and thus potentially get a class of service bonus) or does the ticket stay whatever the original fare class was? I would not normally buy Premium but with Amex finally turning the screws on most of the remaining ways to cash out the airline credit some of their cards come with, I'm trying to figure out what other potential options are on the table for using it.

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Feb 26, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If you buy a Main Cabin ticket and then purchase a Premium seat, does it change the fare class (and thus potentially get a class of service bonus) or does the ticket stay whatever the original fare class was? I would not normally buy Premium but with Amex finally turning the screws on most of the remaining ways to cash out the airline credit some of their cards come with, I'm trying to figure out what other potential options are on the table for using it.
Nope - Paying for premium just changes your seat assignment. Your original fare class fares the same.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Nope - Paying for premium just changes your seat assignment. Your original fare class fares the same.
Thanks. That holds even when you do it at booking, right?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Thanks. That holds even when you do it at booking, right?
Yep, Premium "class" is just a seat assignment in main cabin with some extra perks, not a distinct set of fare classes like First. So regardless of when you pay or "upgrade", fare class remains the same.

Only slight caveat here would be: for elites the "premium class upgrade" column at booking would select a higher fare class that allows for instant upgrade to premium class seats. For MVPs, eligible fare classes would be those with a class of service bonus (Y,S,B). However, just paying the premium seat selection fee doesn't get you the bonus. I suppose you could book, pay to upfare to one of these fare classes and get an instant upgrade to premium to use your credit and get a few bonus miles, but you'd likely be paying a whole lot more than the "pay to sit in premium" fee to do it.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Hi All,

What do I need to consider and expect when canceling international award tickets please. New territory for me.

Family health situation has been keeping us in suspense for weeks. The uncertainty of the health situation is causing us to cancel International partner award tickets. On 7 March, I have tickets on Qantas outbound. And on 24 March Fiji Airways on the way back.

thank you.

By the way MVPG
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Hi All,

What do I need to consider and expect when canceling international award tickets please. New territory for me.

Family health situation has been keeping us in suspense for weeks. The uncertainty of the health situation is causing us to cancel International partner award tickets. On 7 March, I have tickets on Qantas outbound. And on 24 March Fiji Airways on the way back.

thank you.

By the way MVPG
You get all the miles and fees (except the partner booking fee) refunded. Normally there is a $125 charge per ticket but that is waived for MVPG and 75k.

I'm guessing that the $12.50 partner booking fee per ticket is the least of your concerns, given the situation, but for the sake of completeness: if you did want to save it, you could change the ticket (rather than canceling it).

I hope your family is ok...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.