Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So I get notified at 129, boardong time is stated 140. No staff on board plane, they are about to board at 136.
Such a useless notification on the app
The notification is pretty useless. I suppose the one time it is useful is if you are still walking from the lounge to the gate and they start boarding early, it encourages you to hurry and not linger. What would be more useful is to get a notification 10 minutes before boarding is expected to start, or perhaps when they know that FA's are on board and deplaning pax have finished, that boarding is expected to begin in 10 minutes or whatever. Right now, you don't get the notice soon enough to use it for deciding when to leave the lounge, and it's often not accurate as to the actual start.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by seacarl
LH is definitely reported as having done this - physical card required. Also won't let you use the lounge on arrival even if you would have been entitled to the arrivals lounge.
So AS claims to let us have partner access, but then changes their policy about physical cards, so we don't actually have the right into the LF lounge? Seems like we need to go to Alaskalistens
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Bellerina
So AS claims to let us have partner access, but then changes their policy about physical cards, so we don't actually have the right into the LF lounge? Seems like we need to go to Alaskalistens
AS partner access is for QF, BA, FI.
My LH access is via Star Alliance Gold (e.g. UA Gold or higher.)

I find that in international locations the physical card is sometimes more accepted than a virtual card displayed on my phone.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
On the 12th my evening flight from LAS-PAE was cancelled due to the snow storm that rolled in, hitting the North End first.
I had them book me on the 6AM LAS-SEA flight as I didn't care which airport I went to, I just wanted to get home ASAP and SEA hadn't been hit with significant snow yet.

My question is - does a weather cancellation & subsequent re-routing qualify for Original Routing Credit request? Or does it have to be a situation where AS is at fault?
The EQM posted to my account as LAS-SEA (866 miles) vs the original routing of LAS-PAE (894).

It's only 28 miles difference, but if all it takes is an email I might as well request it... never going to turn away any EQM I'm eligible for... if I didn't request it and ended the year 25 miles short I'd be upset with myself and I have had years where I've qualified by less than 200 miles, so every mile counts
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nearlysober
On the 12th my evening flight from LAS-PAE was cancelled due to the snow storm that rolled in, hitting the North End first.
I had them book me on the 6AM LAS-SEA flight as I didn't care which airport I went to, I just wanted to get home ASAP and SEA hadn't been hit with significant snow yet.

My question is - does a weather cancellation & subsequent re-routing qualify for Original Routing Credit request? Or does it have to be a situation where AS is at fault?
The EQM posted to my account as LAS-SEA (866 miles) vs the original routing of LAS-PAE (894).

It's only 28 miles difference, but if all it takes is an email I might as well request it... never going to turn away any EQM I'm eligible for... if I didn't request it and ended the year 25 miles short I'd be upset with myself and I have had years where I've qualified by less than 200 miles, so every mile counts

Just go ahead and request it via email [email protected], with your details and copy of your original ticket receipt. After several years of getting ORC for involuntary reroutes, AS seems to be going back to denying them so YMMV. May just be new hires going by written policy rather than practice.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:04 pm

I’m an American Advantage Platinum looking to use up some miles on an award trip to SEA. There’s a lot more and better availability on AS rather than AA. As I understand it, I will have to pay for checked bags, correct? What about seat assignments - is there any equivalent to Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row that I can select? If not, how do seat assignments work on AS?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by avatexrs
I’m an American Advantage Platinum looking to use up some miles on an award trip to SEA. There’s a lot more and better availability on AS rather than AA. As I understand it, I will have to pay for checked bags, correct? What about seat assignments - is there any equivalent to Main Cabin Extra or Exit Row that I can select? If not, how do seat assignments work on AS?
AA status doesn't do you any good anymore. If you book an AS flight, before 3/1/20 when their partnership dissolves, you will be entitled to nothing beyond a standard seat assignment, think the blue seats on AA, anything outside of PE (similar to MCE) is selectable within 24 hours of departure, which could mean an exit row if it is a pmAS airplane or retrofitted pmVX airplane. Otherwise, enjoy the seat behind the wing and paying for a checked bag.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
What happens if I cancel a ticket that was bought partially using My Wallet funds from a previously cancelled ticket? Are the funds kept separate? Are they commingled with the closest expiration date (like WN)? Something else?

Last edited by twitch76; Jan 17, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by twitch76
What happens if I cancel a ticket that was bought partially using My Wallet funds from a previously cancelled ticket? Are the funds kept separate? Are they commingled with the closest expiration date (like WN)? Something else?
I've never let money sit in my e-wallet long enough for it to be a serious consideration regarding the expiration date

However - if you go to your Wallet, there is a section called "experation dates" and it seems to track each entry separately. It's hard to tell from my history, since I currently only have 1 active credit in my wallet, but it seems like they make track it separately like this in order to be able to restore the original credit back at it's original expiration date?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Companion Upgrade MVPG

Hey all, got an upcoming flight for myself and girlfriend on the same reservation - I’m MVPG. Was wondering if U frequently opens up multiple spots (for auto upgrade right before flight) for first class? I’m normally #2 or #3 on waitlist (almost always fly out of SFO) and am hoping I don’t get skipped over even if there’s extra FC seats, due to U space going 1 by 1.

also, if we were to be both upgraded, do they do a FC seat reshuffle and put us next to each other? If not, would a gate agent be able to do that?

thanks so much.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by whitf00t
Hey all, got an upcoming flight for myself and girlfriend on the same reservation - I’m MVPG. Was wondering if U frequently opens up multiple spots (for auto upgrade right before flight) for first class? I’m normally #2 or #3 on waitlist (almost always fly out of SFO) and am hoping I don’t get skipped over even if there’s extra FC seats, due to U space going 1 by 1.

also, if we were to be both upgraded, do they do a FC seat reshuffle and put us next to each other? If not, would a gate agent be able to do that?

thanks so much.
If by miracle both get upgraded (yes they have gone 1 by 1 before), expect to sit apart unless someone else volunteers to switch. That's on you not the GA or FA to help with
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by twitch76
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I've never let money sit in my e-wallet long enough for it to be a serious consideration regarding the expiration date

However - if you go to your Wallet, there is a section called "experation dates" and it seems to track each entry separately. It's hard to tell from my history, since I currently only have 1 active credit in my wallet, but it seems like they make track it separately like this in order to be able to restore the original credit back at it's original expiration date?
It doesn't look as if My Wallet tracks previously used refunds separately if the funds are refunded again, at least for me. I had credits for refunds on three flights purchased on different days that were cancelled early this month. I then bought a ticket (say $300) on 1/10/20 that used all of the wallet funds except $5. A few days later, I had to cancel the ticket and it now shows up in My Wallet as one $300 entry with an expiration date of 1/10/21 as well as the $5 leftover from the purchase which shows on one of the original refunded tickets.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Is this even possible?

So my instincts tell me know but I want to check, is the following flight plan possible?

Using a companion pass for the 2nd adult:
Round trip flight from DC region and returning to DC region as total activity
2 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant

Travel from the DC Metro region to SMF (preferably) or SFO
Layover (or open jaw) for 1-3 days in SMF
2 adults continue (on companion pass) to any destination in Hawaii (no children)
2 adults return to SMF with a 1 day layover
2 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant return to DC metro region from SMF

Is this even an option? I know the companion pass is supposed to enable both open jaws and longer layovers but with both children they have to be under at least one adult for their portion of the flight so not sure how separate bookings would work.

I honestly suspect our best bet will be to have the grandparents out here instead of offloading them in CA but wanted to check with experts.

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:56 am

Can someone explain why the Companion Discount is considered such an amazing benefit?
  1. Now it requires paying with Alaska CC, all the options for making the flight actually free (eg by using Chase Sapphire reserve travel credit, or similar travel credit CCs). So it's essentially impossible to get the flights for free anymore.
  2. Hawaii seems to be the best redemption option. Is paying $600 out of pocket really that much better than some of the cheaper points based options out there like Southwest/Turkish/etc.?
  3. Especially true for those that don't have status and won't be upgraded to First for both tickets. Is this a benefit mostly useful to those with status and not that useful to those without?

Thanks. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
Can someone explain why the Companion Discount is considered such an amazing benefit?
  1. Now it requires paying with Alaska CC, all the options for making the flight actually free (eg by using Chase Sapphire reserve travel credit, or similar travel credit CCs). So it's essentially impossible to get the flights for free anymore.
  2. Hawaii seems to be the best redemption option. Is paying $600 out of pocket really that much better than some of the cheaper points based options out there like Southwest/Turkish/etc.?
  3. Especially true for those that don't have status and won't be upgraded to First for both tickets. Is this a benefit mostly useful to those with status and not that useful to those without?

Thanks. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Well, seeing as I don't have any Turkish points and would be partying cash for both tickets, I find partying $121 for a coach ticket is a better deal than partying more than $121. As always ymmv.
DrAlex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.