Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:21 am

I agree, but it forces you to pay face value for one of the tickets. I guess I just feel most FTers have enough "non-cash" options for getting to Hawaii that being forced to use cash for a full price ticket seems like not that great a benefit.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000
I agree, but it forces you to pay face value for one of the tickets. I guess I just feel most FTers have enough "non-cash" options for getting to Hawaii that being forced to use cash for a full price ticket seems like not that great a benefit.
Most people using the AS CC are not FT or very adept at the miles/credit card game. Or people value miles for Intl routes versus paying 50k miles on an AS award to Mexico or Hawaii per person. The more expensive the ticket is the more residual value the $121 companion fare is worth, from a cash perspective.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Hi All,

United flyer here looking for some information on quickly getting to MVP status. I will have to fly to Seatac regularly and am looking to quickly get MVP status. If I book First class full fare tickets, or even discounted First fares does that get you to MVP quicker? I ask because previously on United, my main airline, I could get Silver Status relatively quickly by flying First for a few flights then getting back into economy when I got the status.

Does Alaska have Fare Classes like United? If so is there a cheat sheet around that will help me do the math on how many flights ill need.

I did a status match last year from United to MVP but didn't complete it as where I needed to be got postponed a year so I used it too early ;(.
Thanks again
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SwaBiz
Hi All,

United flyer here looking for some information on quickly getting to MVP status. I will have to fly to Seatac regularly and am looking to quickly get MVP status. If I book First class full fare tickets, or even discounted First fares does that get you to MVP quicker? I ask because previously on United, my main airline, I could get Silver Status relatively quickly by flying First for a few flights then getting back into economy when I got the status.

Does Alaska have Fare Classes like United? If so is there a cheat sheet around that will help me do the math on how many flights ill need.

I did a status match last year from United to MVP but didn't complete it as where I needed to be got postponed a year so I used it too early ;(.
Thanks again
yeah, definitely. Fully paid First Class tickets (all buckets, but not upgrade) get a 75% bonus on miles travelled - I.E. Chicago ORD-SFO is 3700 miles toward status, first class ticket would get you an extra 2775 on top of that. Those count for elite status.

If time allows, I’d recommend booking a couple SEA-NYC trips just for quick miles. Also, there’s often promotions where if you sign up, you can get elite status after 2 trans on trips, etc. Hopefully this helped.

Ive found
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
You can find AS's fare chart, and earning rates here.

All paid first class tickets on AS earn 75% Class of Service Bonus miles, even discounted first class. And the bonuses on that chart are EQM bonuses, so they do help you hit status faster.
Y, S, M, & B are the most expensive coach fares (Y & S are full refundable I think) and each have a CoS Bonus.

And, any AS qualifying flight always earns 100% (or 500 miles, whichever is higher for short segments) even Saver Fares.

Some partner airlines have really good CoS bonuses for flying first/business.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Originally Posted by safari ari
Most people using the AS CC are not FT or very adept at the miles/credit card game..
I feel this is a poor generalization. Personally, we have the Alaska CC simply because we had a series of known expenses coming up, available hardpulls within the 2yr chase window, and no comparable value bonuses within our bonus window worth grabbing. Additionally, with family located in Alaska and an interest in visiting Hawaii, we figured the companion pass may prove some value, if not for us I suspect family can use. I no longer have the time nor energy to really play the CC games like I used to and I never traveled enough (thankfully) to become a FT godling but running numbers on CC bonuses and comparing opportunity costs is not difficult nor requiring a hefty travel history so I would suggest you avoid generalizing when, for many, it is a numbers game and you don't have the numbers. If you did not mean this as a slight I apologize for the harsh tone of my response but it simply seemed too much of a generalization.

Now back to the question I asked, I have run all of the routes I can think of and it is unlikely Alaska, even with the pass, would be price or time comparable to direct routes w/ southwest (when the schedule opens). As such, I suspect our greatest benefit will be to support other family going out to Alaska and I doubt it will be this calendar year but has anyone here had much luck leveraging the Alaska companion pass for reasonable value to delta during the salmon season when flying from the midwest to Anchorage?

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Splitting pax on same PNR into different boarding groups?

Why does AS split pax on same PNR into different boarding groups? I had my spouse in group B board with me in group A and I told the GA that we were traveling together and he said normally we shouldn’t do that. Why would they upgrade both of us to F as MVPG (we were not upgraded on this flight) but not let us board in the same group??
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by spgaston
Why does AS split pax on same PNR into different boarding groups? I had my spouse in group B board with me in group A and I told the GA that we were traveling together and he said normally we shouldn’t do that. Why would they upgrade both of us to F as MVPG (we were not upgraded on this flight) but not let us board in the same group??
AS IT. Despite their initial claims, the boarding group is based on the individual traveler, not the highest priority in the group. Not sure which airport you were departing from, but I've never had an issue with my wife boarding with me in different boarding groups. It's a rare AS GA that pushes back on any out of sequence boarding.

I'd give feedback on alaskalistens.com both about the mismatched boarding passes and the GA. There's an opportunity to improve either one.
pcoll and DrAlex like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K
Seasonal Nonstop Flights Anchorage-Chicago

Is there a place that lists the dates of seasonal flights? I am trying to see when Anchorage-Chicago nonstop flights start. I was hoping to find dates in March or April but it looks like there are no direct flights until summer. Has this route always been seasonal?

I am also interested in the dates of Anchorage-Kona nonstop flights
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Can someone explain why the Companion Discount is considered such an amazing benefit?
  1. Now it requires paying with Alaska CC, all the options for making the flight actually free (eg by using Chase Sapphire reserve travel credit, or similar travel credit CCs). So it's essentially impossible to get the flights for free anymore.
  2. Hawaii seems to be the best redemption option. Is paying $600 out of pocket really that much better than some of the cheaper points based options out there like Southwest/Turkish/etc.?
  3. Especially true for those that don't have status and won't be upgraded to First for both tickets. Is this a benefit mostly useful to those with status and not that useful to those without?

Thanks. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Credit card annual fee + $121 for a flight < the ~$500 flight my significant other and I can take throughout the year. I just used one of mine to save her ~400 on a last minute flight around spring break.

Last edited by 91foxbody; Jan 24, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Can someone explain why the Companion Discount is considered such an amazing benefit?
  1. Now it requires paying with Alaska CC, all the options for making the flight actually free (eg by using Chase Sapphire reserve travel credit, or similar travel credit CCs). So it's essentially impossible to get the flights for free anymore.
  2. Hawaii seems to be the best redemption option. Is paying $600 out of pocket really that much better than some of the cheaper points based options out there like Southwest/Turkish/etc.?
  3. Especially true for those that don't have status and won't be upgraded to First for both tickets. Is this a benefit mostly useful to those with status and not that useful to those without?

Thanks. I'm sure I'm missing something.
It is a very overrated benefit IMO and I've had a hard time giving it away in the past.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Credit card annual fee + $121 for a flight < the ~$500 flight significant other and I can take throughout the year. I just used one of mine to save her ~400 on a last minute flight around spring break.
Even after the annual fee + companion taxes and fees we saved $700 on BOS-LIH. Even more saved the year prior when we upfared to upgradable fare.
Flying for Fun and 91foxbody like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I pay for a first class ticket and then end up doing a vol downgrade to SDC (because first is full on my desired flight) do I still get the CoS bonus?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
Even after the annual fee + companion taxes and fees we saved $700 on BOS-LIH. Even more saved the year prior when we upfared to upgradable fare.
I have personal and biz cards and I use both to save me a TON of money every year. It's the biggest no-brainer card benefit possible if you're a regular AS flyer (IMHO).
Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
I have personal and biz cards and I use both to save me a TON of money every year. It's the biggest no-brainer card benefit possible if you're a regular AS flyer (IMHO).
Lol, I could not disagree more. I'm about to cancel my card and my companion pass will expire unused.

I was happy to pay the first year AF for the bonus miles, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.