Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bellerina
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to try and upgrade to F on some flights and maybe book in international Business flight to get to 75k. If I upgrade my currently booked BA flights (domestic to F/international to business - which will cost me quite a few dollars), I'll be at c.77k miles. 12k miles is doable with a transcon and one more flight I might be planning to take.
However, I'm trying to evaluate how much 75k perks are to me.
For domestic travel, I hardly ever check a bag and already get it free with MVPG. As MVPG I already get the waived change fees. I hardly ever fly with someone else on the same itinerary, so companion tickets and upgrades wouldn't be that helpful. I could potentially give MVP to my sister, but I don't see that being used all that much. And lately I feel like the flights I am on have a bunch of F seats available and I get one as MVPG or like 1-2 seats and a waitlist with a bunch of 75Ks on it (so I would still potentially not get an upgrade). And for GGU I'm already having a hard enough time using them all. I'm not TOO fussed with PC upgrades as I usually get a exit row seat if I want it (and it's pretty easy IMO as MVPG to get a PC upgrade). So really it's just a better F waitlist and the extra 25% bonus miles (plus the 50K miles).
Am I missing any other real perks? Would anyone argue it's worth a couple $k to get 75K?
You can buy 100,000 miles for less than $2000 in an AS sale, so that's a hard no from me.

I don't even value MVPG at more than a few hundred dollars in mileage runs/pseudo vacations, so I'm going to drop to MVP because my "natural travel" on AS in 2019 isn't putting me close to Gold (I'll end up at ~15k AS, ~26k AS+partners). It's in part because the bifurcation of Saver/Main means I'm paying tax on my upgrade benefits anyways. Once I am MVP instead of MVPG I have even less reason to pay tax, and frankly I'm gradually shifting my travel to other airlines on cheap tickets (my OAL travel would actually put me somewhat closer to 40k if it was ALL on AS- not THAT close, but closer) because I assume that's what AS wants- they either want people paying the extra $ for better seats, chances at upgrades, or for elites to go away and take their business elsewhere, because they would rather non-elites buy the cheap fares (there's less cost to AS to give a non elite less miles). Happy to oblige.
Flying for Fun and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is definitely a lot of "hopping!" I understand your frustration and can somewhat relate with living internationally. You would be set with an HA partnership. I do admire those that slug out the repetitiveness of short distance flying. Attaining 75K on segments only, has it's "up & downs."

I earned 9,170 EQM on one direct flight this year (eqivalent to ~18 segments @ 500 minimum) without a COS bonus, 20,633 RDM.

I have also booked a few Partner flights for mid January and will accrue 25,146 EQM and earn 56,579 RDM (no COS) with just 3 PE flights.

James
Wow! The most I have gotten for my flights is just a bit over 3300, most are either around 1200 or under 500 miles and all are domestic on AS only. Only a few trips have been personal though, and those were cities with direct AS flights. I will be flying Iceland Air, Swiss Air, and Lufthansa for a trip to Stockholm and Udine next week. Not much with partners though.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Attaining 75K on segments only, has it's "up & downs."
An extra like for this zinger. Bravo.
Flying for Fun and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Finally hit 75K over the weekend with a SEA to PDX roundtrip which gave 1K EQM despite only 129 physical miles each way. 52 segments so far this year mostly midcon runs. Will likely fly 100K again this year. Spouse and kid currently 32K and several trips with me to reach 40K again by December.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:19 am

Anyone know how soon can i get that 50% bonus miles? (from basic member to MVP).
Read online it takes 1-2 weeks for status to be reflected. And i only have 4 days turnaround from being basic member and MVP.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Anyone know how soon can i get that 50% bonus miles? (from basic member to MVP).
Read online it takes 1-2 weeks for status to be reflected. And i only have 4 days turnaround from being basic member and MVP.
It usually takes a day or two for your new Status to reflect in your account after the qualifying segment posts to your MP account. With only 4 days before your next flight, it is unlikely you will accrue miles with the bonus Elite RDM.

There have been datapoints where newly minted Elites have requested an exception but were denied as the Elite tier must show in your account before the flight. YMMV

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 26, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:28 pm

It usually takes a day or two for you new Status to reflect in your account after the qualifying segment posts to your MP account. With only 4 days before your next flight, it is unlikely you will accrue miles with the bonus Elite RDM.

There have been datapoints where newly minted Elites have requested an exception but were denied as the Elite tier must show in your account before the flight. YMMV

James
Thank you!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
My flight Sunday got me to MVPG for 2020. Miles were credited on Wednesday, got the email notification about renewed Gold this morning. Still don't think I'll make 75k this year, but at least I get my change fees waived.

Looking forward to more chocolate in 2020
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Only going to make it to MVP this year. Mixed in more United flights this year with trips to Cancun and Bahamas. I went from MVPG75k (status match) in 2018 to MVPG (40k) in 2019 to MVP for 2020. I'll probably fly enough Alaska in 2020 to hit MVPG again.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Landed @ LAX on Thursday the 11th Oct, hit 75k 2 years in a row.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
well there was a silver lining from the AS59 diversion on Wed night as that flight pushed me to 75714 miles

technically I'm at 74998, since I apparently got double-credited a COS bonus on SEA-SAN in April, but it will be moot after my Wed evening flight

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 24, 2019 at 10:13 am Reason: make the fine print visible
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
Just hit/renewed MVP Gold for 2020. Also am hitting/renewing Gold for Delta next week.

Wish AS had metal international routes to EU and Asia.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic; AS MVPG 75K; DL Plat
Made 75k on Oct 21 (second year in a row). Would've gotten there sooner, but wasted a bunch of miles earlier in the year seeing if Delta was a better option for SAN - NYC flights (it wasn't).
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Flight from Tuesday posted Saturday (finally) and pushed me to just over 40K AS miles to renew MVP Gold for 2020. That may be it for my AS flying for the year?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
As of last Sunday, MVPG for 2020 - 20 straight yrs. as Gold. I have no aspirations for 75k, but am looking forward to 1MM by end of 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.