Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP/MVPG/MVPG 75K Qualification Roll Call (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:BA

F class on SYD LHR takes 3 segments.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:BA

F class on SYD LHR takes 3 segments.
For Full Fare F, EQM is 300%. I already covered that. The "direct" flight distance between SYD & LHR is 10,573 miles so yes, 6 flights (3 segments as you are calling them) would get you there in F but not A. QF16 is comprised of two flights. QF16 SYD-SIN & QF16 SIN-LHR even if marketed as QF16 SYD-LHR. We are kind of off on a tangent so I will leave it here.

I am still amazed at those Flyers who qualify for Elite Status by segments. I think that is where it all started. Who is next to be added to the roster? Congratulations to everyone on their achievements.

James
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For Full Fare F, EQM is 300%. I already covered that. The "direct" flight distance between SYD & LHR is 10,573 miles so yes, 6 flights (3 segments as you are calling them) would get you there in F but not A. QF16 is comprised of two flights. QF16 SYD-SIN & QF16 SIN-LHR even if marketed as QF16 SYD-LHR. We are kind of off on a tangent so I will leave it here.

I am still amazed at those Flyers who qualify for Elite Status by segments. I think that is where it all started. Who is next to be added to the roster? Congratulations to everyone on their achievements.

James
round the fare allows maximum of 16 segments and QF16 SYD LHR counts as ONE segment -- whether it has 2 take off does not matter.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctporter
"national airline"? It seems odd to think that an airline that flies to Alaska, Hawaii, up and down the west coast, and to multiple destinations on the east coast would not be considered as a national airline. I am more used to hearing the term "legacy" to describe AA, DL, and UA. In any event, I booked DL (very spendy without status) for one of my trips and AS for the other.

I used the term "national airline" to try to distinguish AS as a regional carrier as compared to the nationwide extensive networks operated by the big 3 plus WN. I think most flyer talkers in this forum would view AS' west coast-centric network (sparse coverage in the Midwest and east coast) nowhere close to achieving a national network status.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I used the term "national airline" to try to distinguish AS as a regional carrier as compared to the nationwide extensive networks operated by the big 3 plus WN. I think most flyer talkers in this forum would view AS' west coast-centric network (sparse coverage in the Midwest and east coast) nowhere close to achieving a national network status.
I get what you are saying, but national also has its own meaning as the state sponsored or flag airline for a nation.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
.so many 75K's on the BOS/LAX flights I expect them to be hitting their numbers again soon.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Sep 18, 2019 at 1:10 pm Reason: snarkyectomy
Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I hit 75K on Monday after another PDX-EWR.
PaperGlider and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
.so many 75K's on the BOS/LAX flights I expect them to be hitting their numbers again soon.
I know, it's crazy these days. 5 years ago I was upgraded + 50% of the time as an MVP/MVPG. Now as a MVPG I'm lucky if I'm in the top 10 on the waitlist for EX PDX Transcons to EWR/BOS. Last week there were 27 people on the waitlist for 2 seats. LOL
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K
Finally made Gold on an OGG-Sea flight this past weekend. A little late, but I think I have enough trips in the works to squeak into re-qualifying for 75k later in the year.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Hit 75k last week. Mostly partners. Now all my flying just has the sole purpose of getting somewhere. How boring. But for next year I'd love to find a a crazy run to try to hit MVPG or 75k in one go. Not that I need to, but it would be fun. Then I'd feel like I have a good reason to back out of some work travel
samosa and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:25 pm

Trying desperately hard to get my SO into Gold. She is at 15k right now. We have another 15k coming up. Maybe another 5k. She is still 15k short of MVPG. I have no clue to to manufacture the 15k. Change/Cancel fee waiver is big for me.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Trying desperately hard to get my SO into Gold. She is at 15k right now. We have another 15k coming up. Maybe another 5k. She is still 15k short of MVPG. I have no clue to to manufacture the 15k. Change/Cancel fee waiver is big for me.
Is it all on AS metal? If any is accrued on Partner flights, you will need 50K AS+Partner for MVPG. It appears from your information, you are shooting for 50K. How many segments has she flown? You can attain MVPG with 60 segments. Can you add connections to your itineraries? Where are you located? 15K is three round trip transcons. What is your budget? Will the outlay & time involved be offset by the number of saved change fees? Will there be increased flying next year to maintain MVPG Status? Is she able to fly some routes in paid F for the 75% Class of Service bonus which is also EQM? Do you have a "companion certificate?"

So many questions! There are no "tricks" to manufacture EQM aside from flying paid F and adding connections to your itinerary. You still need to put your butt in a seat and actually fly. Only you can do the cost/benefit analysis for your situation.

If you are willing to be more specific on your goals, I am sure many will chime in and help. If you simply want to get the cancel/change fee waiver, it may not be worth it if you spend more time and money than you would spend on those fees. If you have a redemption in mind where the additional MVPG Elite bonus (100% vs 50% for MVP) would help, that may change the analysis.

James

ETA: You can accrue 17,540 on a LAX-SIN return for about $1K in PE. Will you make at least 7 changes or cancellations to offset that?

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Sep 24, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Spare a tear or two for those of us who qualify both ways, on different airlines, and don't make top status on either. Barring something unexpected, I'll finish the year with about 55K EQM on AS (23 segments) and 75-80 segments on HA (all but one interisland, so around 40K EQM). I'm tempted to spend a couple of weekends and maybe $1200 making 75K on AS, but I'm flying too much already.

Last edited by WrightHI; Sep 24, 2019 at 8:24 pm Reason: cleanup
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Spare a tear or two for those of us who qualify both ways, on different airlines, and don't make top status on either. Barring something unexpected, I'll finish the year with about 55K EQM on AS (23 segments) and 75-80 segments on HA (all but one interisland, so around 40K EQM). I'm tempted to spend a couple of weekends and maybe $1200 making 75K on AS, but I'm flying too much already.
That is definitely a lot of "hopping!" I understand your frustration and can somewhat relate with living internationally. You would be set with an HA partnership. I do admire those that slug out the repetitiveness of short distance flying. Attaining 75K on segments only, has it's "up & downs."

I earned 9,170 EQM on one direct flight this year (eqivalent to ~18 segments @ 500 minimum) without a COS bonus, 20,633 RDM.

I have also booked a few Partner flights for mid January and will accrue 25,146 EQM and earn 56,579 RDM (no COS) with just 3 PE flights.

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to try and upgrade to F on some flights and maybe book in international Business flight to get to 75k. If I upgrade my currently booked BA flights (domestic to F/international to business - which will cost me quite a few dollars), I'll be at c.77k miles. 12k miles is doable with a transcon and one more flight I might be planning to take.
However, I'm trying to evaluate how much 75k perks are to me.
For domestic travel, I hardly ever check a bag and already get it free with MVPG. As MVPG I already get the waived change fees. I hardly ever fly with someone else on the same itinerary, so companion tickets and upgrades wouldn't be that helpful. I could potentially give MVP to my sister, but I don't see that being used all that much. And lately I feel like the flights I am on have a bunch of F seats available and I get one as MVPG or like 1-2 seats and a waitlist with a bunch of 75Ks on it (so I would still potentially not get an upgrade). And for GGU I'm already having a hard enough time using them all. I'm not TOO fussed with PC upgrades as I usually get a exit row seat if I want it (and it's pretty easy IMO as MVPG to get a PC upgrade). So really it's just a better F waitlist and the extra 25% bonus miles (plus the 50K miles).
Am I missing any other real perks? Would anyone argue it's worth a couple $k to get 75K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.