Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Lounges in ANC, LAX, PDX, and JFK accept Priority Pass (PP) on space-available (limited) basis.

Alaska Lounges in SEA no longer accept Priority Pass. (AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

2018 and earlier version of this thread.
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
LAX this AM, sign out around 10am, lounge about half full. Can hear the front desk staff repeatedly telling people there's no Priority Pass access right now. There's a woman going crazy on the staff because of it, walking around taking photos from all possible of "how empty the lounge is" and arguing with each member of the Lounge staff as to why she can't come in and how she's going to get them in trouble. If I were them, I'd have warned her by now that they'd need to call security and may risk being denied boarding today.

In contrast to one of my earlier posts on the topic, they did let me in using the AS card at the $25 rate when I asked if day passes were available, though they weren't offering it to those who were trying to get in w/ PP as an option. Bar area is back open, there's some new tall sided "pod" type chairs similar to what the Amex Centurion lounge at SEA has.

Bar is back open, but food/soft drink area is closed for renovations. Makeshift food bar and drip coffee station along windows; espresso machine is now behind bar and "out of order".
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
6/7/19 ANC AL
Access successful at 11 AM. Very friendly; they were happy to make me a custom iced coffee. Tasty!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
LAX... There's a woman going crazy on the staff because of it, walking around taking photos from all possible of "how empty the lounge is" and arguing with each member of the Lounge staff as to why she can't come in and how she's going to get them in trouble. ....
did you get her FlyerTalk name?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
LAX this AM, sign out around 10am, lounge about half full. Can hear the front desk staff repeatedly telling people there's no Priority Pass access right now.. they did let me in using the AS card at the $25 rate when I asked if day passes were available, though they weren't offering it to those who were trying to get in w/ PP as an option.
In fairness to AS, there is some predictive science (art?) to determining when to start and stop letting PP holders in. If there is generally a rush at 11AM, it makes sense to start limiting admission to members and AS "affiliates" some time before 11AM. I'm curious whether anyone on FT has actually had a conversation with AS staff about this dynamic. I'm sure it's been thought through, as it in the airline's best interest to optimize revenue across (satisfied) paid members, AS day passes and PP reimbursements.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
In fairness to AS, there is some predictive science (art?) to determining when to start and stop letting PP holders in. If there is generally a rush at 11AM, it makes sense to start limiting admission to members and AS "affiliates" some time before 11AM. I'm curious whether anyone on FT has actually had a conversation with AS staff about this dynamic. I'm sure it's been thought through, as it in the airline's best interest to optimize revenue across (satisfied) paid members, AS day passes and PP reimbursements.
There may be something to the timing, but it definitely seems like they do a walk-around to gauge how full things are, then bring the sign in temporarily until it fills back up to about halfway.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AS Gold, AS Lounge, Enterprise Gold
They run that lounge to capacity, i've seen them bring in the sign on an almost full lounge, then the lounge instantly went overboard. Send your complaints to the lounge director and hopefully by the end of this year we could get our lounge back.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beckoa
6/7/19 ANC AL
Access successful at 11 AM. Very friendly; they were happy to make me a custom iced coffee. Tasty!
Flying out ~8am tomorrow. Hopefully we are allowed in.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
6/12/19 JFK AL
Got lucky and got in at 4:30pm. The lounge is pretty crowded but still have some space to sit.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by philemer
I think your odds should be ok.

@BOB W and I got in the 10th at 11:00 PM into the ANC AL ^
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think your odds should be ok.

@BOB W and I got in the 10th at 11:00 PM into the ANC AL ^
The dreaded sign was out but I walked up and asked anyway. The pleasant employee said: "oh, we must not have the sign out yet." I smiled and handed her my PP card and we were in. This was ~7am. ^
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yeah, it is usually good to double check and see if the crowd has gone down because sometimes they will let you in and go pull the sign back.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:28 pm

LAX 6/14 6:30 pm - sign was out.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:50 pm

I think a fair compromise should be that you are allowed into the AS lounge with PP if you’re flying AS that day (regardless of class of service).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
PDX open 13-Jun-2019 around noon. I like what they've done with it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS Gold, AS Lounge, Enterprise Gold
Winner of the FlyerTalk Most Entitled award goes to nas6034. But really that's not a compromise that's just wanting everything to go your way every time. Solution to your access problem is plenty; Lounge Membership, 1st Class non upgrade, Citi Prestige with Admirals Club membership or an Admirals Club memberships in general, partner 1st class, day passes and 75k day pass. Priority Pass is granted access behind all those. Also Alaska is just in it for the extra $, was there 6/11/19 from 6 to 8 and the sign was out until 7:30pm, closes at 8:00pm. Had alot of space but didn't let PP in.
shuuy, symbols and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by markandsmoke; Jun 22, 2019 at 3:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.