Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Lounges in ANC, LAX, PDX, and JFK accept Priority Pass (PP) on space-available (limited) basis.

Alaska Lounges in SEA no longer accept Priority Pass. (AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

2018 and earlier version of this thread.
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
In theory, a single pass should grant access the next day too providing you have a same-day boarding pass and the elapsed time since purchasing it the day before is less than 24 hours. If you take a later flight, overnight and return the next day after working, it would meet the T&Cs.

The same is true when connecting through airports with an AL. Purchase a pass in ANC, access the AL in ANC, SEA, PDX & LAX when connecting the next morning to XXX should your itinerary match how I like to travel.
Done both and confirm it does work. On a mileage run I bought a day pass at PDX in the evening, used it at JFK the following morning, and again at PDX in the afternoon when I got back before my flight home.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
but most importantly...NO MORE fresh baked cookies.
Wait. No cookies? I hope this isn't being rolled out system wide.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:58 pm

I've been monitoring the thread and I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyways.

My partner and I are flying through LAX on Monday. My parents are arriving before us to LAX on paid F at 8:20am. They're planning to go to the AS Lounge while waiting for us. My flight to LAX arrives at 8:50am. We are in coach and have PP. Is there any chance I could get into the lounge with my partner to meet up with my parents or is it likely they'll have to leave to meet us?

We're all connecting onto a flight much later at 3:30pm and want to kill some time before moving over to the KE lounge. Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by YayArea
I've been monitoring the thread and I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyways.

My partner and I are flying through LAX on Monday. My parents are arriving before us to LAX on paid F at 8:20am. They're planning to go to the AS Lounge while waiting for us. My flight to LAX arrives at 8:50am. We are in coach and have PP. Is there any chance I could get into the lounge with my partner to meet up with my parents or is it likely they'll have to leave to meet us?

We're all connecting onto a flight much later at 3:30pm and want to kill some time before moving over to the KE lounge. Thanks for any advice.
There's a chance, sure. There's also a chance of an earthquake happening at any moment. You just never know.

Here's another angle to explore...I've found that some of the nicest AL employees are the Ladies that work the check-in desk at LAX. If the PP sign is out, perhaps one of your sweet parents could engage in a friendly conversation with them about your big trip taking place and that you flew in on AS as well, but only Y was available, but you do have PP, if that helps...

You'd be amazed at the rules that can be waived when people treat each other with kindness. (and yes, I've actually witnessed this exact same situation at LAX)
be_rettSEA and YayArea like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You'd be amazed at the rules that can be waived when people treat each other with kindness. (and yes, I've actually witnessed this exact same situation at LAX)
This was the angle I was going to try. Didn't know if it would be seen as rude. I'll task my mom with bringing it up on their way into the club.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by YayArea
This was the angle I was going to try. Didn't know if it would be seen as rude. I'll task my mom with bringing it up on their way into the club.
Not rude at all, and who could possibly say no to your sweet, sweet Mom! ;-)
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:20 pm

LAX Alaska Lounge discriminates PP with no abandon

Sign is always up. When I went up today I saw at least a dozen open seats - but was told they “just texted people” to check in. You could still buy a day pass though no problem. They put me on waitlist said I would get a text confirming being on the waitlist but sure enough never received one. This is just standard practice and says a lot about Alaska but also PP who just don’t care about their members.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pajdk
Sign is always up. When I went up today I saw at least a dozen open seats - but was told they “just texted people” to check in. You could still buy a day pass though no problem. They put me on waitlist said I would get a text confirming being on the waitlist but sure enough never received one. This is just standard practice and says a lot about Alaska but also PP who just don’t care about their members.
To be fair (and I'm one who has complained about lack of entry for PP members in the past), the Alaska Lounge at LAX is well-known for having the sign up almost 100% of the operating hours so this is nothing new...what is "new" is that they are actually attempting to appease the PP members by offering the text message option...before it was simply a "no" so there has been improvement. I use to get PP via AMEX Platinum but with the lack of Alaska Lounge entries and especially no more restaurant access, PP is mostly worthless to me--it was just easier to get a reasonably priced Alaska Lounge membership and be done with it.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:53 pm

Not convinced it’s a legitimate desire to host PP

I think they just do this so they can say we do our best but in actuality they still get rid of 99% of PP members. I would rather they just cu ties with PP - and vice versa. It’s just a dishonest representation of the service.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
To be fair (and I'm one who has complained about lack of entry for PP members in the past), the Alaska Lounge at LAX is well-known for having the sign up almost 100% of the operating hours so this is nothing new...what is "new" is that they are actually attempting to appease the PP members by offering the text message option...before it was simply a "no" so there has been improvement. I use to get PP via AMEX Platinum but with the lack of Alaska Lounge entries and especially no more restaurant access, PP is mostly worthless to me--it was just easier to get a reasonably priced Alaska Lounge membership and be done with it.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I just tried the LAX txt method and can confirm that is does work. I was number 19 on the list and I received a txt in 40 minutes inviting me to go up.

When asked to show my boarding pass, it was noted that I was a 75K member and was asked why I did not have a Lounge membership. I replied that in the past, PP worked great as AS has dismal global lounge coverage. So PP made perfect sense for me as it once got me into SEA and LAX Alaska lounges. However, more often than not, I am now denied access and the solution seems to be to purchase two lounge memberships now (AS and PP).

I also mentioned that I was denied access in JFK between another flight and an Alaska flight as the wait was 3 hrs 30 minutes and the limit is 3 hours. I ended up using one of my lounge passes only to see that I was 1 of 3 people in the lounge. So - yeah - a real hate on for PP members IMO.

The irony for JFK was that PP would have paid AS for my visit thereby increasing profit to AS. By me redeeming a lounge pass, AS lost potential revenue.
jjmadison likes this.

Last edited by davistev; Nov 27, 2019 at 4:50 pm
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davistev
I just tried the LAX txt method and can confirm that is does work. I was number 19 on the list and I received a txt in 40 minutes inviting me to go up.

When asked to show my boarding pass, it was noted that I was a 75K member and was asked why I did not have a Lounge membership. I replied that in the past, PP worked great as AS has dismal global lounge coverage. So PP made perfect sense for me as it once got me into SEA and LAX Alaska lounges. However, more often than not, I am now denied access and the solution seems to be to purchase two lounge memberships now (AS and PP).

I also mentioned that I was denied access in JFK between another flight and an Alaska flight as the wait was 3 hrs 30 minutes and the limit is 3 hours. I ended up using one of my lounge passes only to see that I was 1 of 3 people in the lounge. So - yeah - a real hate on for PP members IMO.

The irony for JFK was that PP would have paid AS for my visit thereby increasing profit to AS. By me redeeming a lounge pass, AS lost potential revenue.
rip the bandaid off Alaska! Just cut ties completely with PP. both sides appear to not be happy. So focus on other airline partnerships to grow the value of the Alaska lounge membership.
Klrduks and Tack like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Maybe buy an AL membership? I just don’t see the value in PP. Even a free membership, which I have. It’s your opinion that limiting PP shows AS in a negative light. As an AA flyer, with AC membership, I like that LAX kept those 12 seats you saw open for an AL or AC member. . PP is played. All airlines are seeing the value in reserving their lounge space for their customers and their partner customers. There are better options domestically than PP for about the same price.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign is always up. When I went up today I ...
I was at LAX yesterday as well and it was rather hectic - not surprising for the busiest travel day of the year.
Cant blame AS for holding space for their customers under the circumstances...
I believe there is pp restaurant in t6 as well...
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
I was at LAX yesterday as well and it was rather hectic - not surprising for the busiest travel day of the year.
Cant blame AS for holding space for their customers under the circumstances...
I believe there is pp restaurant in t6 as well...
Not according to the PP app so it’s not like you have many options. T6 was not full at 1pm yesterday. Far from it. Unless AS have only committed a certain # of spots to PP then I do blame them. And certainly if the sign goes out as the lounge opens I think that’s an indicator they are doing what they can to keep PP out despite whatever agreement they signed. Don’t disagree that PP is a big issue here and need to secure delivery of their service reliably and consistently.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Not according to the PP app so it’s not like you have many options. T6 was not full at 1pm yesterday. Far from it. Unless AS have only committed a certain # of spots to PP then I do blame them. And certainly if the sign goes out as the lounge opens I think that’s an indicator they are doing what they can to keep PP out despite whatever agreement they signed. Don’t disagree that PP is a big issue here and need to secure delivery of their service reliably and consistently.
The Alaska Lounge is commitment to only its paying lounge members, paid First Class (I think award travel first is covered as well) and the paying members of participating airline partners. This has been discussed on other threads here as well; The lounge gets paid for each PP member that is admitted and it must not be a good deal for them as they have essentially ended PP in the Seattle lounges (at least in the D lounge) and are about to do so for PDX. I have PP through my credit card and I have never used it for lounge admission but certainly have used it in PDX at the distillery at the C gates..mmm...and for me, that is a great deal. You are right, perhaps the Alaska Lounge should cut ties with PP completely and this certainly would put an end to these discussions. I can tell you as a paying member of the Alaska Lounge, my experiences are not great when the lounge is packed.
ctporter and PaperGlider like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.