FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1954637-priority-pass-denied-entry-alaska-lounges-because-space-2019-later.html)

pbd456 Feb 4, 2019 1:27 pm

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

i really dont understand the hate on AS.

people can just mentally ignore any AS that are still in the network and dont even attempt to enter, and plan to enter.

At this point, I actually dont mind CSR further limit the usage of PP due to all the complaints....

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 2:38 pm

CSR is not limiting it. This is between AS and Priority Pass.

The hate on AS is that they are abusing the system, causing PP to advertise that a lounge in available when it essentially isn't.

PP should kick them out of the program.

pbd456 Feb 4, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30739258)
CSR is not limiting it. This is between AS and Priority Pass.

The hate on AS is that they are abusing the system, causing PP to advertise that a lounge in available when it essentially isn't.

PP should kick them out of the program.

it is because too many people have PP due to CSR.

i was always able to go into AS lounge before CSR... (Amex Plat offers PP for years before the existence of CSR and I was never denied entry)

if AS totally cut PP lounge access, it is a loss to PP, not a gain. as many PP seems to think it is better off for either AS cutting PP or PP cutting AS.

i have had no trouble using AS, just ask them when AS will let PP in and if not, use a AS lounge pass.

dayone Feb 4, 2019 3:44 pm

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

To keep the information current and easily accessible, please continue the discussion in this thread.

Historical info can be found at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...rlier-123.html

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30739441)
it is because too many people have PP due to CSR.

i was always able to go into AS lounge before CSR... (Amex Plat offers PP for years before the existence of CSR and I was never denied entry)

if AS totally cut PP lounge access, it is a loss to PP, not a gain. as many PP seems to think it is better off for either AS cutting PP or PP cutting AS.

i have had no trouble using AS, just ask them when AS will let PP in and if not, use a AS lounge pass.

Pretty much every high-end travel card has PP. It's not only Amex Plat and CSR.

I think that PP is better off cutting AS. The problem is that they are advertising that something is available when it rarely is. This creates bad PR. You get a lot of people saying that "PP is useless in the US". This is part of the reason that Amex built their own lounges -- the perception among their clientele that PP is worthless.

It might be counter-intuitive, but saying that a lounge is available, when it only is, say, 10% of the time, is probably worse than just getting rid of it. Sure, you are reducing the actual value (you go from 10% to 0% for that lounge) but it reduces complaints and probably increases the perceived value of the benefit, which is all that really matters.

pbd456 Feb 4, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30739546)
Pretty much every high-end travel card has PP. It's not only Amex Plat and CSR.

I think that PP is better off cutting AS. The problem is that they are advertising that something is available when it rarely is. This creates bad PR. You get a lot of people saying that "PP is useless in the US". This is part of the reason that Amex built their own lounges -- the perception among their clientele that PP is worthless.

It might be counter-intuitive, but saying that a lounge is available, when it only is, say, 10% of the time, is probably worse than just getting rid of it. Sure, you are reducing the actual value (you go from 10% to 0% for that lounge) but it reduces complaints and probably increases the perceived value of the benefit, which is all that really matters.

i have accessed AS JFK lounge for 4 of the 5 times using PP this year. and only 1 time i need to burn a guest pass.

but cost of CSR is the lowest, and probably have the most reach. at least for my friends, they have CSR and probably refuse to pay the annual fee on Amex Plat.

ctporter Feb 4, 2019 7:01 pm

Today, at the LAX AL there were four groups ahead of me trying to get in the lounge using PP. They all were turned away due to the plethora of delayed AS flights. Two groups were told to come back in 35 minutes and try again. As I speak now there are only about 6 opens single seats. There was about 14 twenty minutes . I can really understand why they do limit the space to actual members or those that purchased FC.

be_rettSEA Feb 4, 2019 7:08 pm

Sign out at LAX Saturday 2/2 around. Stayed out the entire time I was there w/ delays (11am - 1:30ish).

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30739728)
i have accessed AS JFK lounge for 4 of the 5 times using PP this year. and only 1 time i need to burn a guest pass.

but cost of CSR is the lowest, and probably have the most reach. at least for my friends, they have CSR and probably refuse to pay the annual fee on Amex Plat.

I have no idea which cards have the most reach. There are 4 cards in the US that give you PP access though (more if you count invite-only cards, which I don't)

The fees on these cards are all pretty close together (in the $450-$550 range) so I don't think that's a big distinguishing factor. It's more about the value of the benefits that you get. I find that the CSR has the best benefits so I have that card -- I think it's the best one. They are kind of starting to fall behind on points earning though so I'm not sure if anything will change. Certainly, Chase did a very good job of marketing that card when it launched and built a big customer base. I know a lot of people who get a lot of value out of the Amex too though -- mostly people who like the concierge benefits. I also know a lot of people who carry both.

pbd456 Feb 4, 2019 7:22 pm

There was no PP crowding a few years ago.

CSR 450 - 300 travel credit = 150

amex plat. 550 -200 (hard to use airline credit ) = 350.

also, amex plat came with PP only allow member to enter, no guest. it was changed after other PP from credit card allow guest.

why dont you carry both? this is exactly the problem!

dayone Feb 4, 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30740047)
There are 4 cards in the US that give you PP access though (more if you count invite-only cards, which I don't)

I can think of 6 (7 if you count Amex Business Platinum). Plus the no-longer-open Ritz-Carlton Visa.

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 30740125)
I can think of 6 (7 if you count Amex Business Platinum). Plus the no-longer-open Ritz-Carlton Visa.

Oh right, I forgot about business cards.

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30740071)
There was no PP crowding a few years ago.

CSR 450 - 300 travel credit = 150

amex plat. 550 -200 (hard to use airline credit ) = 350.

also, amex plat came with PP only allow member to enter, no guest. it was changed after other PP from credit card allow guest.

why dont you carry both? this is exactly the problem!

I don't carry both because the benefits have little value to me, mostly because I am not a customer of their partners, and the Amex benefits are about driving business to their partners. I don't fly with their partner airlines, and I don't use uber. If I did, I'd probably have the card. Actually, if I even just cared about lounge access, I'd probably have the card. Many people pay more than the annual fee on Plat to access lounges that are a lot worse than the Amex lounges.

pbd456 Feb 4, 2019 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30740177)
I don't carry both because the benefits have little value to me, mostly because I am not a customer of their partners, and the Amex benefits are about driving business to their partners. I don't fly with their partner airlines, and I don't use uber. If I did, I'd probably have the card. Actually, if I even just cared about lounge access, I'd probably have the card. Many people pay more than the annual fee on Plat to access lounges that are a lot worse than the Amex lounges.

i surely wish CSR cancels PP... i think it is for the benefits of sustaining the other benefits of CSR and would have a huge impact on crowding on AS lounge via PP.

VegasGambler Feb 4, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 30740241)
i surely wish CSR cancels PP... i think it is for the benefits of sustaining the other benefits of CSR and would have a huge impact on crowding on AS lounge via PP.

???

Why would Chase remove the lounge benefit from their top tier card? That makes absolutely no sense.