Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by imverge
Has Alaska Airlines stopped waiving the $15 for over the phone fee for Cathay Pacific awards? Just tried making a award booking on CX and agent said $15 fee applies. I pushed back and told her that the fee is waived for CX bookings due to the fact it's not bookable on their website. Agent checked with supervisor and it was a no go.

Anyone have the same problem?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...t32079845.html
imverge likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:17 am

Hi, just wanted to go back to something I posted last month, about having 2 tickets under 1 PNR. Would Alaska be able to do this under the following hypothetical scenario?
1. CX SYD-HKG (CX stock / cash booking); 2. AY HKG-HEL (Alaska stock / award booking).

PVDtoDEL mentioned above that it should be possible with Sabre but wanted to know if anyone had had any recent experience with this. HKG current transit requirements state the following,
Passengers will be able to transit through Hong Kong if:
-
Their itinerary is contained in a single booking
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi, just wanted to go back to something I posted last month, about having 2 tickets under 1 PNR. Would Alaska be able to do this under the following hypothetical scenario?
1. CX SYD-HKG (CX stock / cash booking); 2. AY HKG-HEL (Alaska stock / award booking).

PVDtoDEL mentioned above that it should be possible with Sabre but wanted to know if anyone had had any recent experience with this. HKG current transit requirements state the following,
-
No, they wouldn't, and they won't. You can't have revenue and award legs combined in one PNR. While in theory, one could long sell the legs and have them exist in one PNR, AS won't ticket the AY award leg with CX revenue space in the same booking.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mister P.

-
This is not possible - for multiple tickets to be on the same PNR, they all need to be issued by the same issuing agency. AS awards can only be issued directly by AS, while CX stock tickets can't be issued by AS.

If you want to book two operator-stock cash tickets, it's quite straightforward for any travel agency to put both tickets on one PNR. If you want to book two award tickets issued by a single carrier, it's not standard practice but technically feasible for the issuing carrier to put on a single PNR.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:18 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

“Technically feasible” doesn’t mean you’re going to be able to combine AS awards involving multiple carriers and awards in a single PNR (let alone a cash ticket involving a different carrier ).

If I were you and I was just THAT determined to travel during a pandemic, just pay the cash for a single ticket (or find some other award to book) and give up trying to make some mutant AS ticket. The AS miles will be usable later when transits aren’t so hard to deal with.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I know it's possible to add a domestic / Hawaii / Mexico leg at the beginning or end of a CX award flight to the US. Has anybody tried to add a leg to Costa Rica (LIR or SJO) on AS Metal before/after a CX award flight (using AS miles?)
Thinking of booking SE Asia-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-SEA-(AS)-LAX-(AS)-LIR. Is that doable?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I know it's possible to add a domestic / Hawaii / Mexico leg at the beginning or end of a CX award flight to the US. Has anybody tried to add a leg to Costa Rica (LIR or SJO) on AS Metal before/after a CX award flight (using AS miles?)
Thinking of booking SE Asia-(CX)-HKG-(CX)-SEA-(AS)-LAX-(AS)-LIR. Is that doable?
Not possible, AS doesn't list any awards for SE Asia to Costa Rica. Mexico and Hawaii, Yes, Costa Rica, No!

James
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Not possible, AS doesn't list any awards for SE Asia to Costa Rica. Mexico and Hawaii, Yes, Costa Rica, No!

James
Thanks - that's what I figured - however I noticed that AS doesn't list any CX awards Asia-Mexico, though those are doable - wasn't sure if that was the case for Costa Rica as well.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:51 pm

Price as two awards help

Hi guys, I am trying to book elp-sea-hkg. The domestic segment is on AS, and international is on CX. From my understanding, that should work, but multiple AS call agents have told me that it prices out as two awards. What am I doing wrong?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi guys, I am trying to book elp-sea-hkg. The domestic segment is on AS, and international is on CX. From my understanding, that should work, but multiple AS call agents have told me that it prices out as two awards. What am I doing wrong?
What time frame are you looking at? If you are trying to combine AS with CX in a Premium Cabin, there has to be Saver A (F) or Saver Main (W) class availability on the AS segment. If there isn't, you would have to find your own way to SEA, either with a revenue flight or a seperate award. If you book the CX segments and Saver space opens up later, you can add the AS segment at that time.

James
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:26 pm

hi there,
looking to book an award on CX business with my AS miles...found the space on aa.com, jal.com and ba.com...
and of course AS phone agent couldn't find it. Funny thing, she saw space on the flights I wanted in economy and not business, but aa.com shows premium economy and business...
would it make a difference if I ask the AS agent to 'long sell' or manually request? or transfer me to the partner desk?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rosenkavalier; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:34 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
hi there,
looking to book an award on CX business with my AS miles...found the space on aa.com, jal.com and ba.com...
and of course AS phone agent couldn't find it. Funny thing, she saw space on the flights I wanted in economy and not business, but aa.com shows premium economy and business...
would it make a difference if I ask the AS agent to 'long sell' or manually request? or transfer me to the partner desk?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post30740049
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:37 pm

As a data point, I saw 9+ award seats on several BKK-HKG CX-operated flights on Qantas.
AS didn't see ANY availability for those flights (was looking for better flight times for my BKK-HKG-SEA flights in Nov).

I knew that AS sometimes sees 1 or so fewer seats than other partners, had no idea that other partners could show 9+ seats, and AS agents see 0...
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
thanks for the link, the flight I want leaves at around 11am (ZRH-HKG), not between 12-1am...
Any other ideas?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.