Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:43 am

I am curious on anyone thoughts on how long travel restrictions via Hong Kong will last. I am heading to JNB in August but looking more and more like that might not happen so curious on how others feel.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Current Cap 599E restriction is gazetted to 18 June
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Conflipper
I am curious on anyone thoughts on how long travel restrictions via Hong Kong will last. I am heading to JNB in August but looking more and more like that might not happen so curious on how others feel.
I too have a flight booked PNH-HKG June 1st before you but I highly doubt that’s actually going to happen. If you don’t want to go I recommend contacting the person you booked with and saying the coronavirus is stopping you and you’d like your money back.

If you do want to go, just wait closer to departure date and you’ll find out quickly if it’s operating or not.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
This doesn't include transit pax, just arrivals?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally Posted by mlqsko
This doesn't include transit pax, just arrivals?
Sorry, misread

Transit is indefinite https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32269100-post510.html
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:14 pm

CX availability to Europe?

Hi,
Is CX blocking award space to Alaska for HKG-Europe flights? I was trying to make a booking over the phone for HKG-AMS or HKG-ZRH for next June, but the Alaska agent was not able to see any availability on either route. (I could see space on both American and British Airways, and gave the agent the same flight numbers but nothing).

I am aware that Alaska does not have access to the same award space as oneworld airlines but wanted to see if anyone has any tips / suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Is CX blocking award space to Alaska for HKG-Europe flights? I was trying to make a booking over the phone for HKG-AMS or HKG-ZRH for next June, but the Alaska agent was not able to see any availability on either route. (I could see space on both American and British Airways, and gave the agent the same flight numbers but nothing).

I am aware that Alaska does not have access to the same award space as oneworld airlines but wanted to see if anyone has any tips / suggestions. Thanks in advance!
i think they do 330 days out so you might have to wait until July to book for June 2021
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:00 am

Thanks, I was referring to June 2020! (Yes, I am aware that HKG might still be closed to non-residents by then).
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:07 am

I booked a HKG-LAX in F and space was available on the 00:05 departure, 12:40 departure, and the 16:40 departure for multiple days in August. I’ll continue pushing out departure if I have to, but it’s nice CX is at least making wide open cabins available for redemptions.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Hi,

There have not been any reports of that. You perhaps have not read much of this thread? My suspicion is you are running into the shortly after midnight search bug and you need to have the agent put in a search time of 1AM when looking for the flights.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:03 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. Just did some background reading on the thread, will try again and keep you posted!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:00 pm

All good this time! Didn't even had to mention anything the 1am departure, agent was able to find the seats without any issue, thanks again!
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: UA, AS
All good this time! Didn't even had to mention anything the 1am departure, agent was able to find the seats without any issue, thanks again!
Cool! Glad it worked out.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:52 am

Btw, I would just add that for some reason, AS agents are not seeing space that I know is available. I know this has happened before, but it seems to be more of a problem lately. I’ve had to call in and push my CX booking back and back continuously. Almost all agents, when I knew there was space, have gone back and said “oh there’s the F space, I don’t know why I didn’t see it originally!” But a lot of instances I've had to HUCA... a lot.

One itinerary the AS agent couldn’t even find the F space from LAX-SEA on the AS metal operated flight? First time I’ve ever seen that one. So if you’re seeing space, and the AS agent isn’t seeing it HUCA.

Also DO NOT give them specific flight numbers. For some reason that has always backfired on me lately. Ask them to look from destination to destination. So I’m going HKG-LAX-SEA. I had them search for segment to segment.

P.S. I usually depend on the QF tool as it’s the most accurate and the BA one can be wrong. But the BA tool has been surprisingly accurate. This is after changing my F CX award four or five times now.

Last edited by NWplatinum; Apr 23, 2020 at 3:09 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:04 am

Hi, I had an award ticket (J)on CX 134 MEL-HKG for mid-June, which was just cancelled by Cathay as part of their schedule readjustment. I asked Cathay if they could re-book me on a later date but they say they can't touch the ticket as it was issued on Alaska stock. Here is the tricky part: Cathay has released award space (J) on MEL-HKG for late June / early July but it is only showing up on Asia Miles (nothing on BA or American). (Incidentally there is award space on QF 29 MEL-HKG early July but this route is not part of Alaska Award chart + it is not clear Qantas will actually resume this service any time soon).

I checked with Alaska but they can't see the space either. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.