Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 5:44 am

Ok, thanks. In theory, CX is resuming HKG-MEL x3 from late June.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Give AS a call and ask - it is definitely feasible in Sabre to put 2 separate tickets on a single PNR, although whether AS policy allows for it is another question
Old May 31, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Give AS a call and ask - it is definitely feasible in Sabre to put 2 separate tickets on a single PNR, although whether AS policy allows for it is another question
It is technically possible for an airline to do this. I don't know if AS can do it. I do not believe it is possible for one to combine separate existing tickets into one PNR but if you have an existing PNR it should be technically possible to add a second ticket into the first PNR. My question would be when you have two separate tickets in one AS PNR will this show as one CX PNR with two tickets in it or will it generate two separate CX PNRs for the two separate CX tickets?
Old May 31, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It is technically possible for an airline to do this. I don't know if AS can do it. I do not believe it is possible for one to combine separate existing tickets into one PNR but if you have an existing PNR it should be technically possible to add a second ticket into the first PNR. My question would be when you have two separate tickets in one AS PNR will this show as one CX PNR with two tickets in it or will it generate two separate CX PNRs for the two separate CX tickets?
When I flew ICN-NRT as an 8 segment RTW marketed by LA on KE, QF, LA, EK & CX on one itinerary, I had 3 PNRs. When I checked the PNRs, I could see all the flight segments on every carrier website except EK which showed their two segments only. Also when I dropped CX J/F from my last award in favour of a QF J, the PNR didn't change.

I think the issue will be that there is no "fare" for the combined itineraries even if a second ticket was added to the first PNR and couldn't be priced. AS can't ticket MEL-HKG-AMS J for 30K + 50K or F 30K + 70K on CX on one ticket or "account" for it as two tickets under one PNR.

James
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:21 pm

Preparing to book tyo-hkg-JFK in F for two people anywhere from June 29-july 1st 2021. Am I able to do tyo-hkg as a stopover? I know its hard to get 2 CX F seats so we probably would book one F and one J and hope availability pops up. I read that Cx lets you eat with your companion. If my companion is in J would they still allow them to come eat with me?

Were also looking at HND-JFK on JL F but it looks like you can only book 301 days out after 4/1 2021 which makes finding F availability much harder.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by localfbiagent
Preparing to book tyo-hkg-JFK in F for two people anywhere from June 29-july 1st 2021. Am I able to do tyo-hkg as a stopover? I know its hard to get 2 CX F seats so we probably would book one F and one J and hope availability pops up. I read that Cx lets you eat with your companion. If my companion is in J would they still allow them to come eat with me?

Were also looking at HND-JFK on JL F but it looks like you can only book 301 days out after 4/1 2021 which makes finding F availability much harder.
Yes, you can do a HKG stopover if your final destination is North America. It is very hard to get 2 F on a TPAC flight on CX. When I have flown in F I have yet to be in a full F cabin. It is my experience, over the last year, that if you find F availability on a flight, there is no J availability so it is getting harder to book F and J on the same flight. Of course, how things look after COVID-19 is anybodies guess.

Dining together is, I believe, in cabin only. My partner and I did fly CX F together YVR-JFK and sat together for dinner. Once the table is folded out, it is pretty tight for the person sitting on the footrest.

If JL F becomes available, the experience is much better than CX, IMHO. Your likelihood of getting 2F is much better too. Your desired flight date is summer. If that is still the time frame that AS joins OW, booking date restrictions should parallel OW partners and hopefully level the playing field.

James
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by localfbiagent

If you find HND-HKG F space for the dates you want consider buying a lottery ticket afterwards
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
If you find HND-HKG F space for the dates you want consider buying a lottery ticket afterwards
Back when this was operated on a 744, I could only find space inside of a week or two in F. Nowadays... yeah.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Starting to think about late spring / early summer 2021: rebooking the 3-city Asia trip that we had to cancel this past March, using CX miles.

My question is more general: has there been any significant structural or process change to booking CX using AS miles? I get the uncertainty about which flights and equipment types might operate, but my itin would probably use the LAX or SFO gateways where it seems likely that *some* flights should exist next year.

We had relatively little difficulty getting 4x Premium Economy for this past March. Would probably do that again, knowing that 4J is vastly more difficult. Two kids with us...we'd survive P.E. The Asian cities were going to be SIN, HKG, BKK but we might shuffle that a bit...it'd still be large, mainline CX destinations.

I'm mainly just interested if the CX award game has gotten vastly more difficult or different in any way, given that there are probably fewer flights published 11 months out than normal.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Starting to think about late spring / early summer 2021: rebooking the 3-city Asia trip that we had to cancel this past March, using CX miles.

My question is more general: has there been any significant structural or process change to booking CX using AS miles? I get the uncertainty about which flights and equipment types might operate, but my itin would probably use the LAX or SFO gateways where it seems likely that *some* flights should exist next year.

We had relatively little difficulty getting 4x Premium Economy for this past March. Would probably do that again, knowing that 4J is vastly more difficult. Two kids with us...we'd survive P.E. The Asian cities were going to be SIN, HKG, BKK but we might shuffle that a bit...it'd still be large, mainline CX destinations.

I'm mainly just interested if the CX award game has gotten vastly more difficult or different in any way, given that there are probably fewer flights published 11 months out than normal.
There are no longer inter Asia stopovers which greatly reduce value using AS
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There are no longer inter Asia stopovers which greatly reduce value using AS
CX never had intra-Asia stopovers. You’re confusing CX on AS miles with JL or SQ. CX still has stopovers in HKG on a North America-Asia itinerary, which is what OP is trying to plan.

OP: scheduling 11 months out is ?????. Assume it’s polite fiction, book what you can get and prepare for it to be changed.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:53 pm
Suspended

There is no full F on intra-asia and for the foreseeable future they wont be using aircraft that offer it either
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX never had intra-Asia stopovers. You’re confusing CX on AS miles with JL or SQ. CX still has stopovers in HKG on a North America-Asia itinerary, which is what OP is trying to plan.

OP: scheduling 11 months out is ?????. Assume it’s polite fiction, book what you can get and prepare for it to be changed.
Correct - the only stopover that would be part of the itin would be HKG either going or coming. For example, a NA-SIN / BKK-NA award with an HKG stopover one way and buy cheap tickets for the SIN/BKK part.

I realize 11 months out is subject to lots of changes. A year ago when I did this, I was able to get the 4 premium economy seats each way on the long-hauls and a mix of Y and PE on the short flights. I then received about 4 different schedule change emails over the course of 9 months as equipment changed and times bounced around by a few minutes here and there, but the main part - PE for the TPAC - remained intact. I would definitely prioritize SFO and LAX as my gateways, given that those two are the least likely to be drastically impacted by changes.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
Correct - the only stopover that would be part of the itin would be HKG either going or coming. For example, a NA-SIN / BKK-NA award with an HKG stopover one way and buy cheap tickets for the SIN/BKK part.

I realize 11 months out is subject to lots of changes. A year ago when I did this, I was able to get the 4 premium economy seats each way on the long-hauls and a mix of Y and PE on the short flights. I then received about 4 different schedule change emails over the course of 9 months as equipment changed and times bounced around by a few minutes here and there, but the main part - PE for the TPAC - remained intact. I would definitely prioritize SFO and LAX as my gateways, given that those two are the least likely to be drastically impacted by changes.
Honestly, I suspect NYC or YVR might be OK too. It's the 1x stations like SEA/BOS/IAD/ORD I would avoid if possible, where if service is cancelled you need an additional connection, though AS probably can take care of you OK out of SEA if you HAD to go that way. I have never seen tons of inventory ex-SEA on CX though.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:22 pm

Has Alaska Airlines stopped waiving the $15 for over the phone fee for Cathay Pacific awards? Just tried making a award booking on CX and agent said $15 fee applies. I pushed back and told her that the fee is waived for CX bookings due to the fact it's not bookable on their website. Agent checked with supervisor and it was a no go.

Anyone have the same problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.