Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

To keep the information current, please use this thread.

Historical posts can be found at Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Just added a point to the wiki about backtracking routing restrictions within North America, seeing as that comes up from time to time.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:09 pm
Suspended

So once and for all please...

Middle name is on my passport but not in my CX ticket that was booked with AS.

Does that present a problem? Yes or No.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kapooncha
So once and for all please...

Middle name is on my passport but not in my CX ticket that was booked with AS.

Does that present a problem? Yes or No.
No. You'll get a nasty error during OLCI, but no one will care.
Done it many many times.
Nurse Traveler and kapooncha like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
No. You'll get a nasty error during OLCI, but no one will care.
Done it many many times.
Thanks. I figured. Didn't have any issue with my CX flight in Jan. Shouldn't now.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Anyone find F TPAC awards in 2019?

I'm not seeing close in awards - despite being revenue space. Oh well, JL it is...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
As we were discussing the middle name issue, makes me happy my parents never gave one to me and my siblings.
ryandc99 and kapooncha like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
As we were discussing the middle name issue, makes me happy my parents never gave one to me and my siblings.
They are deserving of parent of the year awards, each of them.
NWplatinum and rt23456p like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Since CX bookings are done over the phone, I'd assume the agents would put your middle name (if applicable) where it needs to go for you automatically?

I've had to cancel two JAL award F tickets booked on AS's website in the last 10days and roll the dice and attempt to rebook. My middle name is on my AS booking profile online (same as on passport) but due to an IT glitch, your middle name will not show on a JAL award ticket and will auto cancel/deny boarding (allegedly).

Both times, the AS international redemption agent has flagged it and claimed it needs to be cancelled (despite no available award showing) because they say I will be denied boarding.

They claim that JAL (as well as CX) will either auto-cancel reservations with/without middle names that do not match passport or worse yet, deny boarding at point of departure. Is this true? It's been quite a runaround dealing with AS reservations for an average of 1hr call times while abroad in Asia.

They claim that the reason is due to mileage fraud. Specifically, CX/MU/JAL in a few Asian countries fraudsters stealing your login credentials, booking last minute award tickets with your points. And then Alaska is left to foot the bill not only for the award flight that the imposter flew on the partner airline, but also reimburse the Alaska MP member for the missing points.

As a data point, two AS partner redemption agents have said you need to manually input your middle name in the same box as your first name, followed by a space, when booking on the AS website (despite your middle name being on your AS online profile). Has this always been the case?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Since CX bookings are done over the phone, I'd assume the agents would put your middle name (if applicable) where it needs to go for you automatically?

I've had to cancel two JAL award F tickets booked on AS's website in the last 10days and roll the dice and attempt to rebook. My middle name is on my AS booking profile online (same as on passport) but due to an IT glitch, your middle name will not show on a JAL award ticket and will auto cancel/deny boarding (allegedly).

Both times, the AS international redemption agent has flagged it and claimed it needs to be cancelled (despite no available award showing) because they say I will be denied boarding.

They claim that JAL (as well as CX) will either auto-cancel reservations with/without middle names that do not match passport or worse yet, deny boarding at point of departure. Is this true? It's been quite a runaround dealing with AS reservations for an average of 1hr call times while abroad in Asia.

They claim that the reason is due to mileage fraud. Specifically, CX/MU/JAL in a few Asian countries fraudsters stealing your login credentials, booking last minute award tickets with your points. And then Alaska is left to foot the bill not only for the award flight that the imposter flew on the partner airline, but also reimburse the Alaska MP member for the missing points.

As a data point, two AS partner redemption agents have said you need to manually input your middle name in the same box as your first name, followed by a space, when booking on the AS website (despite your middle name being on your AS online profile). Has this always been the case?
I thought we've already cleared this up. Middle name not necessary for CX flights.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by beckoa
Anyone find F TPAC awards in 2019?

I'm not seeing close in awards - despite being revenue space. Oh well, JL it is...
No dice.

I'm in HK currently trying to get home HKG-SFO on a J/F CX award booking any day now...... crickets (no Y or W showing either)

Before CX's NYE gift, close-in F/J availability was showing 24-72hrs out

Just slowly burning through some Hyatt/Starriott points one night at a time in HK, lol.

Most useful data point.... Grand Hyatt HK pours Ruinart Champagne in the Club Lounge. ^
simonsuo likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by kapooncha
I thought we've already cleared this up. Middle name not necessary for CX flights.
However, if you want your middle name on the ticket for AS bookings, ask the agent to put both your first and middle names into the first name box. This is actually what they’re supposed to do per a memo but most understandably forget.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
It is not all wine and roses. A friend with no middle name had an AA booking on CX 2 years ago and CX disallowed online check-in. No problem at the airport though.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mixmastermark

They claim that JAL (as well as CX) will either auto-cancel reservations with/without middle names that do not match passport or worse yet, deny boarding at point of departure. Is this true?
This wasn't my experience with JL last month. First and last only on the confirmation, and same on boarding pass issued by JL. No mention from the counter agent when I checked in with my passport which has my middle name in it, as does my AS profile.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

This wasn't my experience with JL last month. First and last only on the confirmation, and same on boarding pass issued by JL. No mention from the counter agent when I checked in with my passport which has my middle name in it, as does my AS profile.

+3: traveled with the fam and no problems or mention at any point on the international or domestic portion of our tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.