Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It would appear that there is no award space available that will combine with your CX itinerary. From your description, there is availability on the MSP-PDX flight but no availability on the same day for PDX-SFO. AS is saying they can accommodate you on PDX-SFO, the next day, (PDX overnight) meaning there is award availability the following day that will connect you to CX in SFO.

Are you stopping over in HKG?

James
There was sufficient T/E saver award space for both of the flights, so I don't think it was an issue with the award availability. No stopover scheduled in HKG, only a 3-hour layover before the flight to BKK. The only thing I can think of is that I'd be arriving in SFO more than 24-hours before the CX flight if I don't overnight in PDX, which would I suppose make it a stopover in SFO.
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25k, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by metoometoo
Booked 2 Biz class from TPE to HKG, stopover, HKG to YVR

Able to select seats for all segments. Checked the next day and TPE to HKG segment showed "Ticket not issued"
I called Cathay Pacific and was told there was not a problem and the tickets were issued. CX even sent an email for the 2 e-ticket numbers. I called Alaska Airlines and was given the same 2 E-ticket numbers as Cathay

Do i need to be concern?
There were some messages exchanged earlier in this thread between alfrie and fumoffu about this. I have YYZ-HKG-NRT and the first segment showed "Ticket Not issued". When I got the ticket from Cathay it had two ticket numbers on it. From alfrie and fumoffu messages, it seems that may have been why the glitch. I added the reservation to my Asia Miles account and both segments say confirmed. Only in manage booking does it say ticket not issued. If your credit card got charged, have PNR and ticket number plus confirmed with both AS and CX, I say nothing to be concerned about.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by snsec
There was sufficient T/E saver award space for both of the flights, so I don't think it was an issue with the award availability. No stopover scheduled in HKG, only a 3-hour layover before the flight to BKK. The only thing I can think of is that I'd be arriving in SFO more than 24-hours before the CX flight if I don't overnight in PDX, which would I suppose make it a stopover in SFO.
that makes sense.

There seems to be rule changes that CX stopover can only be in HKG, US gateways are no longer allowed.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I think your point on stopovers is valid. It never used to be an issue creating a stopover before a partner award but a few datapoints as of late are suggesting that that utility may be ending or has already ended.

James
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Midnightcat
There were some messages exchanged earlier in this thread between alfrie and fumoffu about this. I have YYZ-HKG-NRT and the first segment showed "Ticket Not issued". When I got the ticket from Cathay it had two ticket numbers on it. From alfrie and fumoffu messages, it seems that may have been why the glitch. I added the reservation to my Asia Miles account and both segments say confirmed. Only in manage booking does it say ticket not issued. If your credit card got charged, have PNR and ticket number plus confirmed with both AS and CX, I say nothing to be concerned about.
Did you have two PNRs for YYZ-HKG-NRT? Thus the reason for two ticket numbers
Mine was 2 PNRs for TPE-HKG-YVR (no stopover).Under CX manage your booking , .the first segment TPE-HKG showed "ticket not issued" and the 2nd segment showed confirmed. All flight segments have seat numbers.
I called Alaska Airlines today to confirm the electronic ticket number. All is good and it matches the CX electronic ticket number.
However, on the TRIP DETAILS, there is no mention of electronic ticket number when booked last week. However, when I asked Alaska airlines to send me an email on the TRIP Details, e-tickets were seen.
So that must be the glitch....
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Curious if anyone has had anything similar happen.
I had two confirmed award tickets (MEL to HKG in biz and HKG to LHR in biz). I just tried changing the dates and received the same error message referenced above. I was also trying to change the latter segment to First which was showing available. To my surprise, the trips vanished from the AS my trips section and the booking reference did not retrieve anything on the AS website. When I went to the Cathay website to check if the old bookings are still intact with the old dates, I was very surprised to see the new dates in the booking but waitlisted with the old flights disappeared. I just tried calling AS but eight hour hold times. Not impressed!
Hello all
Just an update on my situation - I never called AS (or more accurately tried, but did not want to hold for seven/eight hours). Over the last day, I received the two updated itineraries from Alaska. I cross checked on CX which was showing waitlisted after I made the change about a week ago. I am now confirmed in U / business MEL-HKG and F class HKG-LON (this should be Z class I believe for F) so looks like AS has worked some magic behind the scenes. I am a happy camper.
eponymous_coward and kindagot like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, KF
Just noticing that booking award flights from Asia to US/North America has less phantom spaces hence more availability than vice versa. Been trying for several days now calling and online for November 16-17 2023 travel dates and so far none. AA will show some availability but 20k higher miles for J class. Also noticed that both AS and AA algorithms are screwed up. Probably the worst I've seen. Example. If I try JFK-MNL on AS, I get routing through SFO with F and J available. But when I just do SFO-MNL, I only get Y. Similar thing with AA. Maybe there's a workaround it but I guess the best bet is just to call customer service.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:02 am

I think I have a similar problem with phantom spaces but not really sure where my ticket stands...

I changed my tickets online to a date that showed as available in all Business from JFK-HKG-SYD but it errored out. I was unable to view the reservation anymore on AS but CX shows waitlisted and the same error that the itinerary is not ticketed. Calling AS, the agent advised that the flight failed to ticket but the flights 'are held' and she raised an internal ticket to get it manually ticketed (to wait 2-3 days).

I just get an email with the updated itinerary but its now showing JFK-HKG in Coach per AS (fare I). However, looking at CX's website shows as Business (fare I) - confirmed. There is no more error that the itinerary is not ticketed. The second leg, HKG-SYD is showing Business (fare U) in both systems. Calling AS to confirm, they are saying its a Coach leg because CX rejected the Business request. Even more odd, AS didn't seem to have deducted any additional mileage either (I would have expected the change from DPS to SYD to be 10k more even if its a mixed class booking?) but I presume that means the refund I was supposed to get isn't coming either...

Has anyone experienced similar? At check in (assuming it would let me check in), would I be seated in Business or Coach?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by xtremester
I think I have a similar problem with phantom spaces but not really sure where my ticket stands...

I changed my tickets online to a date that showed as available in all Business from JFK-HKG-SYD but it errored out. I was unable to view the reservation anymore on AS but CX shows waitlisted and the same error that the itinerary is not ticketed. Calling AS, the agent advised that the flight failed to ticket but the flights 'are held' and she raised an internal ticket to get it manually ticketed (to wait 2-3 days).

I just get an email with the updated itinerary but its now showing JFK-HKG in Coach per AS (fare I). However, looking at CX's website shows as Business (fare I) - confirmed. There is no more error that the itinerary is not ticketed. The second leg, HKG-SYD is showing Business (fare U) in both systems. Calling AS to confirm, they are saying its a Coach leg because CX rejected the Business request. Even more odd, AS didn't seem to have deducted any additional mileage either (I would have expected the change from DPS to SYD to be 10k more even if its a mixed class booking?) but I presume that means the refund I was supposed to get isn't coming either...

Has anyone experienced similar? At check in (assuming it would let me check in), would I be seated in Business or Coach?
This sort of happened to me. I had originally booked business YYZ - HKG for 3 tickets but saw another date that was better suited available. I changed and got the error online. Called and the agent assured me it would be fine but I didn’t get anything after 4 days. I called again and they did some manual ticketing, a few days later I got an email for class U Coach Class on Alaska. I called in and the agent said it is business, just a way of coding on Alaskas system. we checked all tickets on CXs website and it shows business and we picked seats, so I would hope they would let us check in to the business class seats…
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I think your point on stopovers is valid. It never used to be an issue creating a stopover before a partner award but a few datapoints as of late are suggesting that that utility may be ending or has already ended.

James
I just wanted to close the loop on this. I called back this morning, and after I mentioned I was calling about a CX award ticket, I was immediately transferred to the "international partner desk." I told them the flight number/date I wanted for the stopover in SFO and the agent said it wasn't a problem, but they would need to "do it the hard way" and could send me the confirmation email when they were done. Sure enough, got the confirmation email with the flights I requested listed about an hour later. So it seems like there is still some flexibility regarding a stopover in a gateway city if you get ahold of someone that knows the systems well.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, KF
I just wanted to close the loop on this. I called back this morning, and after I mentioned I was calling about a CX award ticket, I was immediately transferred to the "international partner desk." I told them the flight number/date I wanted for the stopover in SFO and the agent said it wasn't a problem, but they would need to "do it the hard way" and could send me the confirmation email when they were done. Sure enough, got the confirmation email with the flights I requested listed about an hour later. So it seems like there is still some flexibility regarding a stopover in a gateway city if you get ahold of someone that knows the systems well.
Is your stopover the same class? What's the resulting route, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stingyguy
Is your stopover the same class? What's the resulting route, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.
MSP-PDX-SFO (stop)-HKG-BKK. SFO-HKG and HKG-BKK are in J; MSP-PDX and PDX-SFO are in main, but if first-class saver space opens up it can be changed to that at no cost.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
MSP-PDX-SFO (stop)-HKG-BKK. SFO-HKG and HKG-BKK are in J; MSP-PDX and PDX-SFO are in main, but if first-class saver space opens up it can be changed to that at no cost.
You’ll also be on the upgrade list for those flights as an MVPG…
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I called back this morning.....I was immediately transferred to the international partner desk.
Yet another case of a successful outcome by hanging up and calling back again.... Very happy that it's worked out for you.
snsec likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Moderator Note

Please continue the discussion here:

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023 and Later) - FlyerTalk Forums

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.