Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I too have a SE Asia-LAX via HKG in F on CX March 11. I’m not too concerned, but as far as I know they’re allowing people to cancel. Frankly with the coronavirus outbreak, I am wondering if there’s more F space available on CX now?
No, they've mostly zeroed F out.

I had to do multiple rounds of HUACA to protect an friend of mother's YVR-HKG F seat https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post32101566

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Also does anyone know if CX is taking extra precautions when cleaning aircrafts because of the coronavirus? Or if someone has gotten the virus after flying CX? I‘m not an “at-risk” individual if I get the virus, furthermore whatever happens will happen so I don’t really care considering the odds of contracting it are slim to none. Are those flying on CX and through HKG taking any precautions like face masks, purell, or any other suggestions from someone with a medical background here? It Would be interesting to know what’s happening over in HKG and if the virus has caused the airport to be a ghost town, or just a total cluster f***.
Personally I won't trust CX to do deep cleans

I do rely on HK and overseas aviation and health authorities to accurately and zealously report cases for epidemiological prevention of outbreaks.

I still have confidence in our Department of Health even if not in our political leadership.

And so far, there are no known cases of spread on HKG inbound/outbound aircraft or HKG itself.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I flew through HKG this month, on CX regional J. The flight was a ghostown, the airport not much more lively.

As an expat living in Asia right now, airports are more clean than they’ll ever be. Everyone is wearing a mask and airport staff are deep cleaning everything. The (western) media has completely blown this out of proportion, you’re at no more risk of getting the seasonal flu than the Coranavirus.
NWplatinum and lsquare like this.

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Feb 23, 2020 at 8:20 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:48 am

CX gave me two sanitizing wipes in J on flight from SFO-HKG earlier this month and I just used one to wipe down all the controls and table so I felt slightly cleaner. J was probably 40% full and everyone had masks and I kept a Purell with me. I think the bathroom had hand sanitizer too.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by aznac84
I booked SFO-HKG (CX873) HKG-BKK (CX619) on J using AS miles in mid-March - if CX873's next to get canceled, anyone know whether it's possible to rebook? Has anyone had to go through this process due to the coronavirus travel restrictions?
I had HKG-YVR-JFK F award booked for Feb 29 which was cancelled. Cathay protected the ticket moving me to the HKG-JFK direct flight later that evening
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I flew through HKG this month, on CX regional J. The flight was a ghostown, the airport not much more lively.

As an expat living in Asia right now, airports are more
clean than they’ll ever be. Everyone is wearing a mask and airport staff are deep cleaning everything. The (western) media has completely blown this out of proportion, you’re at no more risk of getting the seasonal flu than the Coravirus.
This is kind of what I’m thinking. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. If I was elderly, or had a compromised immune system I’d take it a little more seriously.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
A lot of the HKG-TYO availability may be limited to married segments. Have you tried searching SEA-NRT/HND on QF or JL to see what is available?
Yes but I want to have a stop over in HKG before heading to TYO. Searching on QF, JL, AA doesn't return CX exUS-HKG-TYO. Is there way to find these married segments? Or I just have to call?
Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by cxlabase
Yes but I want to have a stop over in HKG before heading to TYO. Searching on QF, JL, AA doesn't return CX exUS-HKG-TYO. Is there way to find these married segments? Or I just have to call?
Thanks.
It's only married if the connection is less than 24 hours. More than that is a stopover and married inventory will not show. You have to book married then move the segment with non-married availability after booking to create the stopover. Within 24 hours of booking is a free change but may require a couple of HUCA's to get an agent that can handle it.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by nawlins
I had HKG-YVR-JFK F award booked for Feb 29 which was cancelled. Cathay protected the ticket moving me to the HKG-JFK direct flight later that evening
Did you go through AS or CX? I have quite a few family members booked on CX to attend my wedding in July, and I'm trying to figure out how to best get them accommodated if schedules are reduced.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:15 am

Due to a cancellation on CX 811 BOS-HKG on May 6th (seems to only operate 3 times weekly for the foreseeable future) , I am having my first experience with the Partner Desk "requesting" award space from Cathay on another flight (CX 843 Jfk-Hkg same day) to accommodate a cancelled itinerary. Of course, no Z class space is currently available, and the flight is F3 last I checked.

Partner desk told me such requests are processed within 5-10 days, and that the CX liason is "usually very good" with honoring requests, especially when it's due to a cancellation on their end. That gives me hope, but the fact that the flight is already F3 makes me nervous, along with no real suitable alternative options (not even J class available on 843, only W)

Has anybody been in a similar situation, and was your request for space successful?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Due to a cancellation on CX 811 BOS-HKG on May 6th (seems to only operate 3 times weekly for the foreseeable future) , I am having my first experience with the Partner Desk "requesting" award space from Cathay on another flight (CX 843 Jfk-Hkg same day) to accommodate a cancelled itinerary. Of course, no Z class space is currently available, and the flight is F3 last I checked.

Partner desk told me such requests are processed within 5-10 days, and that the CX liason is "usually very good" with honoring requests, especially when it's due to a cancellation on their end. That gives me hope, but the fact that the flight is already F3 makes me nervous, along with no real suitable alternative options (not even J class available on 843, only W)

Has anybody been in a similar situation, and was your request for space successful?
I had a HKG-JFK F seat on a cancelled flight rebooked by CX into F on an earlier fight. I didn't have to contact AS. There was also a data point for a cancellation of 3J from HKG-AU and AS requested award space to a different city which was granted within a day or two. I wouldn't be too concerned about there being 3F availability. I have yet to fly CX F in a full cabin.

James
percysmith likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
IMO, your bigger concerns are a) whether CX will still be in business in May, and b) whether travel to Hong Kong will be a good idea then...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:56 am

Well looks like with CX's 96% capacity cut I have my answer. Guess a rebooking is in order!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
IMO, your bigger concerns are a) whether CX will still be in business in May, and b) whether travel to Hong Kong will be a good idea then...
Considering the situation on the other side, it may better off in Hong Kong
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:31 am

Is it possible to redeem Cathay Pacific business class from SIN to NRT/HND (transit HKG) with 22.5k miles?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Possible to book, yes. HKG is closed for transit and Japan is excluding arrivals from many countries, plus schedules are disrupted, so I don’t see a lot of point in a “theoretical” booking you have no idea if you will fly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.