Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

JFK-YVR Flights - 18 Feb discontinued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C

HI, Is it still possible to book JFK-YVR Flights in First Class using miles from any program? If so how? Thanks,
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yes I saw availability with BA / AA.
However... I just noticed there are no more YVR-JFK flights after 2/17. Did they move up the cancellation timeline with the virus and all??
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Yes I saw availability with BA / AA.
However... I just noticed there are no more YVR-JFK flights after 2/17. Did they move up the cancellation timeline with the virus and all??
Availability is zeroed out, but the flight as of now is still there.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Availability is zeroed out, but the flight as of now is still there.
How are you checking the flight itself is still there? I'm a bit confused and concerned, as I have a booking Feb-27 which when I login on Cathay shows as confirmed, but I have read around the web that the flights are ending early. But I wonder if just award bookings aren't possible vs. them cancelling the flight earlier.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by spark911
How are you checking the flight itself is still there? I'm a bit confused and concerned, as I have a booking Feb-27 which when I login on Cathay shows as confirmed, but I have read around the web that the flights are ending early. But I wonder if just award bookings aren't possible vs. them cancelling the flight earlier.
Flights aren't showing up on regular search on GF or CX"s site so definitely not just award booking.
Can you provide a link where they say the flights are ending early? I tried searching last night but found nothing, not even on routesonline.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by spark911
The flight is still on availability display, with a seat map that can be retrieved, and the FLIFO doesn't note any cancellation. I'm not saying CX will not eventually cancel it, just that it has not happened yet and there's no solid proof that it will happen.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:17 am

I came here after reading this from OneMileAtATime:
"Cathay Pacific will now discontinue their New York to Vancouver route as of February 18, 2020"
https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pa...couver-flight/

Following a few links on that blog takes you here:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...45gmt-05feb20/

It's worth noting that routes online themselves say that this is just a closing of reservations, vs. cancellation at this point. I have no insight on what this might mean for existing reservations. At this point, I suppose technically nothing!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
On GF/CX it looks like JFK-YVR-HKG and the YVR-HKG piece of it are still bookable but JFK-YVR is not. My guess would be they are still allowing bookings for the flights that have alternatives they can move people to, while they have no CX alternative for JFK-YVR.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I have a JFK-HKG ticket booked for after the cancellation on Avios. Wonder what (or if) BA will try to offer as an alternative. JFK-LHR-YVR isn't cabotage, right?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
I have a JFK-HKG ticket booked for after the cancellation on Avios. Wonder what (or if) BA will try to offer as an alternative. JFK-LHR-YVR isn't cabotage, right?
I am also in the same boat, both booked with Avios.

Last year, when I had a HKG-VYR-JFK booking that got canceled on the second leg due to operational issues they tried to put passengers on Air Canada's flight but there are fewer seats and in the end I ended up waiting 24 hours to get the next CX flight from YVR-JFK. Probably not a good data point, as I had already started my journey.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

I called BA and they said CX had not informed them of any changes (I booked YVR-JFK on 3/27 with Avios). Tried calling CX - of course cannot get through.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:42 pm

Just be prepared to start journey one day earlier or one day later.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
JFK-LHR-YVR isn't cabotage, right?
I don't get this part. Is it some sort of joke about the British Empire or am I ignorant about something?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Any rumbles of this happening on the JFK-YVR[-HKG] flight? Am booked on that in March.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, I found out that yep, the JFK-YVR flight is vanishing in two weeks. I'm booked in early March. Boy, this is gonna be fun to deal with...I've never had an airline route evaporate on me before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.