Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlimftalk
That did the trick. So thankful for the FT community. I was able to book it but unfortunately my AS domestic legs are in coach. For some reason the agent said that she couldn’t see any space in F even though I can see space using Alaska’s own site. Not too bothered as it’s not a long flight. She did say that it’s possible to reissue my ticket once there’s space.
Good to hear!

The reason the domestic flights are in Main is because there is no Saver "A" award space available on either the LAX-SEA 11/15 or the SEA-YYC 11/16 segments. You can book those segments in First at a higher award level independently but Saver "A" must be available to combine them with the CX flights for an all J/F itinerary. If you have AS Elite status, you will be automatically waitlisted for upgrades.

You have a long layover at LAX on 11/15 before flying LAX-SEA and another 17+ hours at SEA. You might want to consider changing the LAX-SEA flight to 6:00 am on 11/16. That will connect with the SEA-YYC flight with a more reasonable 2hr 16m layover.

You should be able to make that change online. In Trips, open your itinerary, click on change, make changes to this trip. Keep the MNL-HKG, HKG-LAX & SEA-YYC segments, click change on the LAX-SEA segment and finally change the date to 11/16. Submit. Follow the prompts.

James
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Good to hear!

The reason the domestic flights are in Main is because there is no Saver "A" award space available on either the LAX-SEA 11/15 or the SEA-YYC 11/16 segments. You can book those segments in First at a higher award level independently but Saver "A" must be available to combine them with the CX flights for an all J/F itinerary. If you have AS Elite status, you will be automatically waitlisted for upgrades.

You have a long layover at LAX on 11/15 before flying LAX-SEA and another 17+ hours at SEA. You might want to consider changing the LAX-SEA flight to 6:00 am on 11/16. That will connect with the SEA-YYC flight with a more reasonable 2hr 16m layover.

You should be able to make that change online. In Trips, open your itinerary, click on change, make changes to this trip. Keep the MNL-HKG, HKG-LAX & SEA-YYC segments, click change on the LAX-SEA segment and finally change the date to 11/16. Submit. Follow the prompts.

James
again this is why I love FT. As far as the long layover in SEA thats fine as I have some business to conclude with my uncle there anyways and give me some time to catch up. Does Alaska usually release any saver A space closer to date of departure or am I just out of luck?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:03 pm

again this is why I love FT. As far as the long layover in SEA thats fine as I have some business to conclude with my uncle there anyways and give me some time to catch up. Does Alaska usually release any saver A space closer to date of departure or am I just out of luck?
It is possibly, but really hard to say in the current environment. AS is more interested in selling F seats right now and there have been some F fares that are pretty cheap comparatively.

You can continue to monitor via AS. Periodically check your routing, if you see LAX-SEA-YYC for 25K, it will be Saver A. I would also check the segments independently, you may find Saver A on one segment but not the other.

Many use a subscription service called ExpertFlyer which will monitor the segments and email you an alert if/when space shows up.

James
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:53 am

CX have not cancelled any of their November flights. So there are risks that your flights will be cancelled.

Also they might be flying A350 with no F seats.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:01 pm

I am aware of the risk of cancellation I am prepared to fly via AUH with EY In case that happens. But hopefully not. How far along does CX usually cancel?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
CX have not cancelled any of their November flights. So there are risks that your flights will be cancelled.

Also they might be flying A350 with no F seats.
in the even that my flight does get cancelled do they just refund the miles+tax or do they try and re accommodate you on a different flight? In that scenario who would I be talking to AS or CX? Cause in the case of a refund I’d just rebook with EY.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:22 pm

in the even that my flight does get cancelled do they just refund the miles+tax or do they try and re accommodate you on a different flight? In that scenario who would I be talking to AS or CX? Cause in the case of a refund I’d just rebook with EY.
The ticket is issued by AS on AS ticket stock and AS has control over it until flight time. Generally, CX will not touch an award ticket they have not issued. CX would advise AS (electronically) that the flight has been cancelled and AS would notify you via email and on the APP that there is a change to your itinerary.

This would require a call to AS. AS will change the ticket, if suitable for you, but will still be confined to CX inventory for awards on other available flights. Alternatively, you can cancel the itinerary, the miles will be redeposited in real time into your MP account and a credit for the fees & taxes would be issued to your original form of payment.

I said, "generally, CX will not touch the ticket," because in almost all instances, they won't. As a datapoint, CX did move me to a later same day flight, protecting my F space on the later flight when the earlier flight was cancelled. CX notified me directly of the changes and a few days later the itinerary in the AS APP reflected the changes. There was no interaction with AS. I was quite shocked that CX proactively changed AS' ticket.

James
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:30 pm

I am aware of the risk of cancellation I am prepared to fly via AUH with EY In case that happens. But hopefully not. How far along does CX usually cancel?
Set up an Expertflyer alert to be notified if the flight gets zero'd out. CX will typically zero out flights several weeks before they are actually cancelled (as much as six weeks based on my personal experience). Folks that wait for cancellation notices are chumps - everything (alternate awards) will be gone by then.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Set up an Expertflyer alert to be notified if the flight gets zero'd out. CX will typically zero out flights several weeks before they are actually cancelled (as much as six weeks based on my personal experience). Folks that wait for cancellation notices are chumps - everything (alternate awards) will be gone by then.

Good luck - Jamie
I am not sure that is appropriate! Not everyone has means or can justify an additional subscription fee so as not to be a chump.

From your experience, are all flights that are zero'd out actually cancelled? How would Expertflyer account for MX, or weather?

James
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:11 pm

The ticket is issued by AS on AS ticket stock and AS has control over it until flight time. Generally, CX will not touch an award ticket they have not issued. CX would advise AS (electronically) that the flight has been cancelled and AS would notify you via email and on the APP that there is a change to your itinerary.

This would require a call to AS. AS will change the ticket, if suitable for you, but will still be confined to CX inventory for awards on other available flights. Alternatively, you can cancel the itinerary, the miles will be redeposited in real time into your MP account and a credit for the fees & taxes would be issued to your original form of payment.

I said, "generally, CX will not touch the ticket," because in almost all instances, they won't. As a datapoint, CX did move me to a later same day flight, protecting my F space on the later flight when the earlier flight was cancelled. CX notified me directly of the changes and a few days later the itinerary in the AS APP reflected the changes. There was no interaction with AS. I was quite shocked that CX proactively changed AS' ticket.

James
yeah wouldn’t mind flying on a different flight as long as it would be in F but since CX looks like they’re only flying the A350s looks like it’ll probably get cancelled.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Good luck - Jamie
sorry new here. What does it mean for a flight to be zeroed out?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:28 pm

yeah wouldn’t mind flying on a different flight as long as it would be in F but since CX looks like they’re only flying the A350s looks like it’ll probably get cancelled.
Or an equipment change! I have been downgraded from F to J when subbed with a 3-cabin aircraft. In that case, AS will refund the points difference & any changes in fees & taxes.

James
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:28 pm

I am not sure that is appropriate! Not everyone has means or can justify an additional subscription fee so as not to be a chump.

From your experience, are all flights that are zero'd out actually cancelled? How would Expertflyer account for MX, or weather?

James
I’m not sure if this means anything but I’m the only person that’s selected a seat on both my CX flights. Kinda giving me a bad feeling.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:34 pm

sorry new here. What does it mean for a flight to be zeroed out?
The airline is no longer selling seats on the flight so they set all the fare buckets to zero availability. It usually means that the flight will not operate.

James
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:00 pm

For CX, even though your flight might not be zeroed out (ie not cancelled) n the plane type still reflect as 777 (with F), they might switch to A350 with no F within a short period.
So do check. But I think CX884 will have high chance of cancellation. CX880/882 will still fly on some days.

In end July ,CX844 to JFK was still showing 777 from 14/8 onwards. But soon after that the plane type was change to A350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.