Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It amazes me how variable and overall poor AS agents are when booking CX flights...

Trying to book SFO-HKG-CGK which was wide open in biz showing on both QF and BA. Flight out of SFO was at 1am, which as we know doesn't natively show up, but only after a few minutes of prodding was the agent willing to check for a specific time. Of course it showed up and ticketed without issues.

Called back to add LAX-SFO to the beginning to the same reservation. First agent says it can't be done without a separate award. Second agent gives me pushback and contacts a supervisor. Then I'm connected to the 'partner desk' so it can be added without issue.

Seriously AS, it shouldn't be this hard...
I suspect we all agree on that. The problem as I see it is AS does not listen (and as such obviously does not care) to their customer complaints regarding IT issues. Unless someone in the media or a a prominent blogger publicizes even a serious IT issue it will not be fixed. Pitiful.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It amazes me how variable and overall poor AS agents are when booking CX flights...

Trying to book SFO-HKG-CGK which was wide open in biz showing on both QF and BA. Flight out of SFO was at 1am, which as we know doesn't natively show up, but only after a few minutes of prodding was the agent willing to check for a specific time. Of course it showed up and ticketed without issues.

Called back to add LAX-SFO to the beginning to the same reservation. First agent says it can't be done without a separate award. Second agent gives me pushback and contacts a supervisor. Then I'm connected to the 'partner desk' so it can be added without issue.

Seriously AS, it shouldn't be this hard...
Agreed
The problem is with booking most International Airline partners at Alaska.There.is massive confusion frequently when speaking with their very nice reps
The rules are frequently quite different from the big global Alliance Partners and Alaska reps aren't aware that you can add Alaska flights to some Int partner flights
They also don't know which routes qualify on Int partners with any reasonable consistency.The training is awful when it comes time to booking Int partners
Added to the misery their IT is poor and I'm not sure I can sustain a long term relationship with Alaska as much as like the culture and the people and their domestic service
Alaska is in terrible denial about their IT issues and others have mentioned unless it gets in the media they continue to sweep it under the rug
But the worst is American Airlines IT.Their reps are far better trained on average but the amount of fake phantom availability for award seats is simply infuriating
Alaska is still Seattle's small time home grown carrier that refuses to grow up and look at itself as a larger and more sophisticated player with global reach and the ability to poach customers from other legacy carriers
Until they address the issues they will be second and third tier slackers
Having said all that they seem to be doing fairly well based on the last profit report so maybe they are happy with not making improvements
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:34 pm

So I have never booked a rewards flight; I was thinking of doing one next year down to South Africa. I have seen that you could do an ORD - HKD - JNB rewards ticket in past. With CX now flying out of SEA that flight should also be available correct?

I am not sure the best best way to search for CX availability is but could someone confirm for me that a SEA - HKG - JNB would in theory be possible provided you can find the availability.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
You're correct that SEA-HKG-JNB is priced as one award (62.5k J/70k F).

To search for CX availability use either the BA or QF websites. With BA you have to search each day/week at a time, and QF lets you search on a monthly basis.
However, their availability doesn't always match what AS sees.

Last edited by ft543; Aug 25, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Conflipper
I am not sure the best best way to search for CX availability is but could someone confirm for me that a SEA - HKG - JNB would in theory be possible provided you can find the availability.
CX now also flies to Capetown, CPT. The other AS partners that will get you to South Africa on an award from/to North America are Condor, British Airways & Emirates.

James
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:06 am

Does CX ever open up 2 F awards on same flight, I am looking for May 2020 and only see 1 F open on different dates, JFK, BOS or ORD
do they ever open up a second F if I book one now and hope for another?
Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by flguy
Does CX ever open up 2 F awards on same flight, I am looking for May 2020 and only see 1 F open on different dates, JFK, BOS or ORD
Thanks
I saw somewhere that typcially they only do 1 at a time. The best bet was to book a business class for second person and as the time comes closer see if they open up a second.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:03 am
Community Director Emerita

conflipper gives good advice. In one case, the second seat opened up about 4 days in advance of travel. In the other, we ended up flying in separate cabins.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by flguy
Thanks
Requires a miracle worthy of canonization:

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
CAAC just turned Rupert Hogg into a Martyr...I think being the CEO, employees feel some sort of emnity towards him and the CX management specially after the cuts these past few years...but after last Friday you'd think people will be submitting his name to the Vatican to be made a saint.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Saint Hogg of Arc?

How do we prove miracles? We prayed to Saint Hogg, and some impossible redemption seat cleared (like, two F seats on the same flight?)?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:45 pm

Just booked two seats in F from ORD in late February - a Mileage Plan unicorn.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:53 pm

If I book a PE or Biz class because nothing else was available on the dates I wanted.But later a F opens up. Does it only cost the difference in miles and a phone call to upgrade? Or do I need to buy the whole ticket again with miles? I am just not sure how that works.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Conflipper
If I book a PE or Biz class because nothing else was available on the dates I wanted.But later a F opens up. Does it only cost the difference in miles and a phone call to upgrade? Or do I need to buy the whole ticket again with miles? I am just not sure how that works.
AS will reissue the ticket and charge the additional miles. It will show as a credit of the miles from the old flight in your account and a debit (redemption) of the miles required for the new flight. In essence, you need only to have sufficient miles in your account to cover the differential. There will also be a slight difference in fees & taxes payable.

If you do not have a change fee waiver, you would also be required to pay the $125 change fee if outside the 24 hour booking window. The exception would be to upgrade to a fare you have already paid for. For example, if you found F to HKG but there was only PE to Sydney, you could book that at 80K. If at a later time J opened up on the HKG-SYD leg, there would be no charge to upgrade that segment as it was already included in your redemption. There is no F on CX HKG-SYD.

James
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Just booked two seats in F from ORD in late February - a Mileage Plan unicorn.
Did these seats show up on BA or QF search?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:06 pm

First class lounge acccess for guest

I'm flying CX F on an AS award. To guest someone into the first class lounge in HKG can they be on any OneWorld carrier flight, CX flights only, or must it be the identical CX flight as mine? Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Slickw
I'm flying CX F on an AS award. To guest someone into the first class lounge in HKG can they be on any OneWorld carrier flight, CX flights only, or must it be the identical CX flight as mine? Thanks.
On an F ticket, you can guest someone on any ticket into the First Class lounge. I've done it a few times, but be prepared for some pushback. I once entered on a Cebu Pacific ticket with my friend in CX F using AS miles, and the staff were absolutely confused.

But this page does outline that anyone is eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.