FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:20 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Conflipper
If I book a PE or Biz class because nothing else was available on the dates I wanted.But later a F opens up. Does it only cost the difference in miles and a phone call to upgrade? Or do I need to buy the whole ticket again with miles? I am just not sure how that works.
AS will reissue the ticket and charge the additional miles. It will show as a credit of the miles from the old flight in your account and a debit (redemption) of the miles required for the new flight. In essence, you need only to have sufficient miles in your account to cover the differential. There will also be a slight difference in fees & taxes payable.

If you do not have a change fee waiver, you would also be required to pay the $125 change fee if outside the 24 hour booking window. The exception would be to upgrade to a fare you have already paid for. For example, if you found F to HKG but there was only PE to Sydney, you could book that at 80K. If at a later time J opened up on the HKG-SYD leg, there would be no charge to upgrade that segment as it was already included in your redemption. There is no F on CX HKG-SYD.

James