Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by At1975
Just know that when you do “find” Alaska Cathay award space on BA one day and then you can’t book it- my warning post will be in the back of your head and you will know I am right on this.
I’m pretty sure I know how to use my miles and points, thanks for your concern. Your feedback on your experience using AS miles to book CX is noted. Enjoy the holiday season.
Cat88L3 likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 23, 2019 at 3:37 pm Reason: Redact the redaction in quote. C'mon, guys, it's Christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:51 am

I currently have 2 J awards booked from SIN>HKG>ORD and there is 1 F seat available for the HKG>ORD segment. If upgrading one on the tickets to F does that incur the $125.00 change fee ? I do not hold status with AS
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AlexanderK
I currently have 2 J awards booked from SIN>HKG>ORD and there is 1 F seat available for the HKG>ORD segment. If upgrading one on the tickets to F does that incur the $125.00 change fee ? I do not hold status with AS
Yes, changing cabins requires a ticket reissue and will be subject to the change fee.

James
ryandc99 and AlexanderK like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:03 pm

I'm seeing F availability on qantas, ba, and even aa and alaska doesn't have it. I've done HUCA. i've gone to the partner desk. Is it TRULY the case that CX is not releasing space to Alaska or is there some glitch or incompetence. It's freaking killing me as I've had this issue in the past but HUCA has solved it. any help is much appreciated.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by RyanfromMA
I'm seeing F availability on qantas, ba, and even aa and alaska doesn't have it. I've done HUCA. i've gone to the partner desk. Is it TRULY the case that CX is not releasing space to Alaska or is there some glitch or incompetence. It's freaking killing me as I've had this issue in the past but HUCA has solved it. any help is much appreciated.
A few Questions.

1) Is the flight departing just after midnight? If so the AS rep needs to enter 1:00 am in the search request or the flight(s) won't show up.

2) Is the flight within the shortened booking window that AS can book within?

3) Are you looking at a through fare or segment by segment? It might be a married segment issue.

4) While I have had 100% success in booking what I see on QF, others claim they haven't been as successful and report the flights available to book are a subset of what is available to QF & OW. Have you checked availability on JL? Reports are that JL most accurately reflects what can be booked with AS.

James
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:23 pm

BA award availability on CX not matching AS, for past few months, for me.
AS always has (-2 or -3) seats available vs whats available on BA on YYZ-HKG/HKG-YYZ legs.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A few Questions.

1) Is the flight departing just after midnight? If so the AS rep needs to enter 1:00 am in the search request or the flight(s) won't show up.

2) Is the flight within the shortened booking window that AS can book within?

3) Are you looking at a through fare or segment by segment? It might be a married segment issue.

4) While I have had 100% success in booking what I see on QF, others claim they haven't been as successful and report the flights available to book are a subset of what is available to QF & OW. Have you checked availability on JL? Reports are that JL most accurately reflects what can be booked with AS.

James
1) no it's at 6pm
2) no it's in jan
3) yes
4) JAL has it
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

i just called in and they have NOTHING from boston to hong kong nov 1st to nov 19th in any class. BA shows PE or First on all those available dates. She only saw availability on random dates Oct 16 and Aug 8th. I mean WHAT is going on. I wonder if CX is truly just saying "screw you" to Alaska. bc if this is true, i need to move over to AA and pay their crazy amounts.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:48 pm

1) no it's at 6pm
2) no it's in jan
3) yes
4) JAL has it
Well you did say "any help would be greatly appreciated." Not that it matters, offering a yes response to an "or" question doesn't answer it. If CX is favouring their Elites and OW before AS perhaps AS shouldn't be charging crazy cheap redemption rates and handing out free stopovers. Ask AS to charge more so CX will release more space to them. Sorry my reply wasn't helpful, not sure the abrupt answers indicate any appreciation either, "but" Happy Holidays.

James
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS
1) no it's at 6pm
2) no it's in jan
3) yes
4) JAL has it
If you can share details we can give you more than general advice which may be more helpful to you. Which route and day?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:06 pm

i apologize. my curt answers didn't mean anything more than just a quick response. i do appreciate ur feedback. thank you. but i think what u said is right. I think CX is not giving AS space not just in one seat here or there but massive blocks
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:11 pm

i just called in and they have NOTHING from boston to hong kong nov 1st to nov 19th in any class. BA shows PE or First on all those available dates. She only saw availability on random dates Oct 16 and Aug 8th. I mean WHAT is going on. I wonder if CX is truly just saying "screw you" to Alaska. bc if this is true, i need to move over to AA and pay their crazy amounts.
The agent you talked to was wrong. It's very common at Alaska. HUCA. If you are looking at the flights that leave between midnight and 2am you should make sure the agent is setting the time field to 1am when searching or the award will not show in the AS system. When you call in ask to speak with the partner desk (which they mostly claim no longer exists but this may give you a better chance at a well trained partner agent).
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:15 pm

i apologize. my curt answers didn't mean anything more than just a quick response. i do appreciate ur feedback. thank you. but i think what u said is right. I think CX is not giving AS space not just in one seat here or there but massive blocks
If the award shows on QF and JL sites the odds are it is bookable by AS. Sometimes you have to know how to work the system to book it but it can be done.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:42 pm

yes so found someone with partner desk experience and telling them 1am slot is important. however the hkg-US segment shown on AA, qantas, JAL, and BA is still not showing. She said during the holidays CX doesn't release as much.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 5:54 pm

yes so found someone with partner desk experience and telling them 1am slot is important. however the hkg-US segment shown on AA, qantas, JAL, and BA is still not showing. She said during the holidays CX doesn't release as much.
I am not sure I am following you. You said AS could not find a single award BOS-HKG from Nov. 1 through Nov. 19. I call BS if they are claiming they cannot see any of that. You need to HUCA.

You may be referring to different dates in different replies and not making clear which you are referring to. I am concluding since you said the Jan. award you were looking for was at 6 pm and the 1am time obviously does not apply that you are referring to calling about the November awards when using the 1 am time and I cannot believe with the plentiful awards in November that the agent could not see anything. Sounds like a bad agent to me. AS should definitely have awards available in November BOS-HKG. HUCA. Of course, if you are searching for married segments and did not mention that then results may vary.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.